FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: the big pond  (Read 5092 times)

northrn-duck-assassin

the big pond
« on: Mar 03, 2009, 04:50 PM »
anybody hear of anything goin on on the big pond in the last few days im lookin to get out in the creeks or the pond itself this weekend with these awsome temps comin in. i heard of two guys gettin limit on coho's last week on that nice day we had. just wonderin. any info greatly appreciated!!
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

bowfin829

Re: the big pond
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Have the day off Friday and goning to give it a try. Maybe the Port. Will let you know whats up. Hopefully that elusive 20lb brown.

derslayer1

• EAT SLEEP FISH
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Good luck on that 20 Bow 8) I believe we are headin to PPM thursday mornin. Was gonna go tomorrow but decided to wait a day for the warmer temps. South breeze, should be good.
EAT SLEEP FISH

doug_z

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Headed out to the Port today only to find it locked up with ice...maybe this weekend will be good.  Drove over to Portage lakefront park and found more ice around pier.  I did see two boats heading out from the ditch and looked like they had plenty of room out there.  Good luck you boaters and stay safe!!

fish_tko

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2009, 02:44 PM »
i was up at Mich City the last two saturdays. Seen some steel caught in the creeks two weeks ago, no hits for me. Last sat. fished creeks, harbor, and pier no bites. Harbor and pier both had dingy, sandy water from the strong north winds. i am sure its just a matter of time before it breaks loose. I am not going again though until i can take the boat and troll.

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Keep us southern boys -and girls - informed. My wife and son really want to go for coho off the piers. Spring break is at the end of the month. I have fished Michigan City but never any of the other areas. May need some help with directions in the future. Not trying to take fish away from anyone. Just like to get some good fishing in for some species I usually do not get to go for.

troutline

« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Going to the Port Sat. Hope the coho's are hitting.

derslayer1

• EAT SLEEP FISH
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2009, 05:41 AM »
This is the report I posted on GLSFC board yesterday...

Fished outside the mouth today, trolled for 4+ hours using thinfiins, shadraps, thunders, and other profile baits. Tried stingers, promags, and alot of other spoons also. Flat lined and used boards. Only had one hit crusing past the mouth and I think that was a line hit, not a lure hit.  Water temp was 34.8 degrees, still quite cold. There is no pack ice out of the ditch for as far as I could see. However there is bergs breaking of the west shore (out of the mouth) and floating cruising by. Nothing that couldnt be trolled around or navigated. The winds were offshore today, with constant 25+s . Some white capping but nothing not trollable. Trolled along the walls, mouth, the reef just short of the port mouth. No fish. Definitely alot of marks around the mouth with sparse marking elsewhere. Boat control was a little tuff with the winds but 1 footers to an occasional 1.5  I believe they were there just not on the bite. Six to eight other boats out there, all trying, never seen any fish taken, talked to most passing by, or at the ramp....nothin. Still better than sittin at home wishin I was fishin...
EAT SLEEP FISH

tarantula

« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Fished the port yesterday with no luck.
Strong south winds are beginning to
blow the ice out. Heard of a couple
coho's taken but didnt see them. Was
still fishable even with the ice.

Eye Popper

« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Never have fished Lake Michigan. Was wondering how the water was as far as for going out in a 17-18' boat. I go out in spring on Erie, always respecting the weather. Fishing for coho/steelhead is something I have always wanted to try but just never took the step. Any insight on would be greatly appreciated.

littled62

« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2009, 01:12 PM »
we have a 17 ft lowe and go out from hammond all the time, I just look at the mairen forcast before I go, never go out in more than 2-3 foot waves or with a north wind, make sure if you do go out you have all safty stuff, been stopped 2X over the years, know someone stopped last year, had everything but his flares were expiered, great smallmouth along the rocks in the breakwalls

bluegillmaster2011

« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Never have fished Lake Michigan. Was wondering how the water was as far as for going out in a 17-18' boat. I go out in spring on Erie, always respecting the weather. Fishing for coho/steelhead is something I have always wanted to try but just never took the step. Any insight on would be greatly appreciated.
i go perch fishing out of a 17' deep V all the time in the summer. but like you said, respect the weather. check the weather before you go and always keep an eye out for a storm.
cold morning air+ smell of exaust and the roar of the motor starting=HEAVEN

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2009, 04:33 PM »
we have a 17 ft lowe and go out from hammond all the time, I just look at the mairen forcast before I go, never go out in more than 2-3 foot waves or with a north wind, make sure if you do go out you have all safty stuff, been stopped 2X over the years, know someone stopped last year, had everything but his flares were expiered, great smallmouth along the rocks in the breakwalls

Are there different regulations for Lake Michigan? I didnt know you had to have flares. I got a 16 ft tri-hull. Some people think I am crazy for taking it up there. I say FISH ON!

Get_the_Net

« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2009, 05:16 PM »
Are there different regulations for Lake Michigan? I didnt know you had to have flares. I got a 16 ft tri-hull. Some people think I am crazy for taking it up there. I say FISH ON!

Great lakes and connecting waterways (lake st clair) have different regulations than inland lakes.  You better know what you need in your boat because if you get stopped, the CO won't go for the "I did not know excuse".

sell

« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:05 AM »
Flares, horn and throwable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.