FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: the big pond  (Read 5093 times)

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
Re: the big pond
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:16 AM »
I wasnt aware of the flares. We got everything else.

Boomer

« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Does it matter on size of the boat? Was asking last year and really did not get a good answer from the DNA and even a C.O.  I remember seeing small boats heading out of the MC harbor a couple of summers ago to fish Mt. Baldy. I am sure if they can make that run in an inflatable that I could in my little 15 footer. I may also just want to fish the harbor area at MC - are the rules different for in there?

Shadrap

• Addicted to Fishin
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:16 PM »
Dropped my 12ft in there many times years back and had a few checks.  Most of the attention was put on the weight capacity of the boat.  Mostly fished in the creek and harbor but went out on the lake when it was calm on occasion.  Different regs for different boat lengths.  Be sure your up to date on all of it. 

camocrazy82

« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I dont think I would put anything smaller than my 16 on the lake. Most people think that I go WAY out and fish. I stick to the harbors and creeks also. Ill be sure to be up to date.

plymouthjim

« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Ok I got a 17' boat what all would I need that is required for inland lakes. I thought you had to have a second motor and  2 way radio also
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at  Work

bluegillmaster2011

« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:45 PM »
Ok I got a 17' boat what all would I need that is required for inland lakes. I thought you had to have a second motor and  2 way radio also
we only have one motor inless the trolling motor is considered a second motor but we dont have a 2 way radio just a AM/FM radio
cold morning air+ smell of exaust and the roar of the motor starting=HEAVEN

camocrazy82

« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2009, 03:47 AM »
from what I understand the only extra thing you need is the flares. dnr.in.gov

fish_tko

« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:08 AM »
i am pretty sure you have to have a fire extinguisher also

plymouthjim

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:17 AM »
i am pretty sure you have to have a fire extinguisher also
I think I have every thing but thought you had to have a second motor and radio Will have to get new flares mine got wet in a downpour last year so I tossed them.Never had my boat on the big pond but think my boat will handle it as long as it don't get more than 3' waves. 17' tracker magna.

fish_tko

« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:30 AM »
 as long as their are south winds i take my 16' johnboat out there and troll, i just only go on the perfect days.

derslayer1

• EAT SLEEP FISH
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:30 AM »
You MUST have:

--one Type IV USCG–approved PFD on board and readily accessible. (throwable cushion or ring)This means you cant have an anchor, jig box and crap all on top of it, stowed at the bottom of your storage.

--a coast guard approved pfd (life jacket) for each crew member (indiana code --- IC 14-15-2-6(b)

--a type B fire extinguisher on board THAT WORKS or is charged. This only applies to concurrent waters jurisdiction (THAT means lake michigan for those who dont know)

((When regulations refer to “Waters of Concurrent Jurisdiction,” it means Lake Michigan (Indiana portion), the Great Miami River, the Ohio River, and the portion of the Wabash River that forms a border between Indiana and Illinois.))

--All vessels are required to have a Type B fire extinguisher(s) on board if one or more of the following conditions exist:
Closed compartments under seats where portable fuel tanks may be stored
Closed storage compartments in which flammable or combustible materials may be stored
Closed living spaces
Permanently installed fuel tanks
You are not required to carry a fire extinguisher on a motorboat with an outboard

Navigation lights---   IC 14-15-2-10   (look it up, its in the regs)

Sound-Producing Devices    312 IAC 5-13-4   This means a horn, whistle or bell, and I,ve seen the ticket issued

Visual Distress Signals (VDSs)     33 CFR 175.110-140 All vessels, regardless of length or type, are required to carry night signals when operating between sunset and sunrise. Most vessels must carry day signals also; exceptions to the requirement for day signals are:
Recreational vessels that are less than 16 feet in length
Non-motorized open sailboats that are less than 26 feet in length
Manually propelled vessels

If pyrotechnic VDSs are used, a minimum of three must be carried in the vessel.

The following combinations of signals are examples of VDSs that could be carried on board to satisfy U.S. Coast Guard requirements:

Three handheld red flares (day and night)
Three orange smoke signals (day only) and one electric light (night only)

The most important thing for people to understand is the rules of the road. (in a sense) Its not just firing up the motor and heading out to fish. Theres alot of fishermen and boaters who have NO IDEA what a STAND ON boat is. ( Its not a boat you stand on). Unfortunately, some boaters dont even know the basics of navigation lights. Being prepared is knowing the laws and rules of the road. Being prepared is NOT having bait...

Boater education is imperative. Even for seasoned anglers and boaters, its always good to refresh the memory and REREAD the rules/laws. Theres always new amendments, sometimes to boating/fishing.

ALL OF THE RULES AND LAWS are accessible, do yourself a big favor and be aware.
----->http://www.boat-ed.com/in/handbook/boater_education.htm

EAT SLEEP FISH

Felix

• Myfishfinder Sponsor
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:22 AM »
Good post Thanks Andy!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

plymouthjim

« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Required Equipment PWC Boat Less than 16'  Boat 16' to Less than 26' 
Boating Safety Education Certificate on Board   

?? never heard of this before.Lots of info on this site but a few gray areas. is a can horn Ok? Wouldnt mind hooking up with someone sometime and learning more about fishing the big pond and the do's and don'ts. Thanks for your help. Jim

camocrazy82

« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2009, 12:03 PM »
You are not required to carry a fire extinguisher on a motorboat with an outboard

Not to start an arguement but my boat (as do most) have outboards along with storage compartments that could hold flammables and mine has a permenant gas tank. Better to be too safe than not safe enough.

rat-l-trap

« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2009, 12:13 PM »

Not to start an arguement but my boat (as do most) have outboards along with storage compartments that could hold flammables and mine has a permenant gas tank. Better to be too safe than not safe enough.
Hey Guys,
Its really simple to find all the rules and regs.
LOOK IT UP  ;D ;D ;D
The internet is a wonderful thing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.