FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: early season pike  (Read 1528 times)

fordman

early season pike
« on: Mar 04, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Heard pike fishin is the best this time of year, right after the ice goes.  curious what the best way to fish them would b

hook em

Re: early season pike
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:56 AM »

I like my wife's method,its simple and it works, Good size bobber with a large lively  minnow and of
                 course a Stout Rod.20 lb. test line and a must have Steel Leader,and hold on tight ..........
                 She boated two last year in the 11 to 15 Lb Range and lost a real bruiser........

Hook em   

Shadrap

• Addicted to Fishin
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Below the dams are good this time of year.  Had my kicks in years past and this was one.  I always liked a barrel sinker above a good swivel with about a 18 inch leader behind it with a shiner hooked thru the bottom of the lip out the head.  Length of leader and size of sinker depends on amount of current.  You don't want the rig drifting into the nearest snag.  Size of bait and what type depends on whats been working and water clarity.    Dingier water I like chubs.  Clearer water I like shiners.  Look out for walley and catfish also.  Jigs can also be the killa.  As the water warms spoons can also bring em in.

fordman

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Hook'em, what kinda water u fish'n, deep flats, breaks, weed beds etc?

hook em

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2009, 01:00 PM »

We have had our best luck fishing a weedy shallow flat just off a deep edge,I believe  when
                  Fish come up on the Shallow Flats,they are actively looking to feed I have also found this to
                  be the case with Walleye's in the early spring....The Shallow Flats are the dinner table and we as
                  Fisherman must find these spots and have our offerings there waiting for that strike.......
                  Again this is just my opinion, being at the right place at the right time is critical..........

Good Luck...........

Hook em 

fishinator

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Live bait does work great, but if you don't feel like watching a bobber try a red and chrome dare devil spoon. I like the 5" 1oz spoon. You will need a heavy action rod and leader with a good swivel.  It may seem a little big but I've caught 7" pike of those things. When they are hungry I think they will eat about anything though.

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Dont leave out dead bait under a float.

fordman

« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2009, 03:00 PM »
thanks for all the info, im gona give it a try later in the week, I'll let you know the out come!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.