FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Merrimack River Salmon FYI  (Read 1456 times)

knurren

• What of it?!
Merrimack River Salmon FYI
« on: Sep 19, 2008, 01:23 PM »
From the Fish and Game Dept.  Now I have something to balance with bass fishing before muzzleloader season starts.  Anyone else feel that chill this morning?  ;D

BROOD STOCK ATLANTIC SALMON OFFER EXCITING FALL FISHING
Matt Carpenter, Fisheries Biologist, Anadromous Fisheries Restoration Program

Anglers looking for some challenging catch-and-release sport fishing while they're
enjoying the fall foliage should head to the Merrimack and Pemigewasset rivers to
hook the "King of Fish." October and November are prime months for fall Atlantic
salmon fishing in New Hampshire. Expect some great salmon fishing by the first week
in October.

This fall the NH Fish and Game Department will stock the Merrimack basin with 830
brood stock Atlantic salmon, averaging about 2.5 pounds. These fish are a little
less than 3 years old and they are in excellent condition. With the cool water
temperatures, these fish will be in no hurry to leave the river, so there should be
plenty of opportunities for a memorable fishing experience.

The success rate for catching salmon seems to be higher in the fall than in the
spring season, most likely because of better wading conditions and cooler
temperatures. The brood stock Atlantic salmon season runs year-round, but all salmon
caught from October 1 through March 31 must be released immediately.

To fish for brood stock salmon, anglers need a current New Hampshire fishing license
and an $11 brood stock salmon permit; both are available at http://www.FishNH.com or
from license agents statewide. All proceeds from salmon stamp permits support the
Merrimack River Anadromous Fish Restoration Program, created in 1993 by Fish and
Game, in cooperation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, to help restore
migratory fish populations to the Merrimack River watershed.

The brood stock salmon will be stocked this fall at two sites -- below the Eastman
Falls Dam in Franklin and the Ayers Island Dam in Bristol. The first good spots to
try for the brood stock salmon are below the Ayers Island Dam in Bristol along the
Coolidge Woods Road; the Profile Falls Recreation Area (the access site near the
Smith River confluence); below the Eastman Falls Dam in Franklin; and the public
boat launch behind the Franklin High School on the Winnipesauke River. Because the
fish are migratory, anglers should also try fishing downstream as the season
progresses, near Boscawen (in the Stirrup Iron Brook area), Penacook (at the mouth
of the Contoocook River), at the Sewall's Falls Recreational Park in Concord and
below the Garvins Falls Dam (Bow) and the Hooksett Dam. Get more information and an
access map at www.FishNH.com/Fishing/atlantic_salmon.htm.

Brood stock salmon anglers often use traditional salmon flies or trout streamers
such as Grey Ghosts, Mickey Finns or any patterns that imitate small
baitfish. Fishing with spinning gear is allowed in the section of the river below
the Garvins Falls Dam in Bow. Anglers should review the special regulations for
brood stock salmon available on the Fish and Game website.

Brood stock salmon are kept by the US Fish & Wildlife Service to produce offspring,
or "fry," more than a million of which are released each spring to in an effort to
restore sea-running fish to the Merrimack River basin. After spawning at the
hatchery, the brood stock fish are released in the Merrimack, creating the only
managed salmon fishery in New England.

Fish and Game's programs for restoring anadromous fish, managing and researching
fisheries and teaching people about aquatic resources are made possible in part by
the Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Program, funded through purchases of
fishing equipment and motorboat fuels.

Live free or die trying.

adrock

Re: Merrimack River Salmon FYI
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2008, 08:03 AM »
Sick.  Think i will pick up the samp and take a crack at catching one of these fish.  I know that they stalk some HOGS in there.

knurren

• What of it?!
Re: Merrimack River Salmon FYI
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2008, 08:48 AM »
I'll probably be doing the same in a couple weeks.  I have the stamp already, but I'm hoping to get some bass fishing done next weekend.
Live free or die trying.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.