FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56456 times)

esox v

Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2011, 10:55 PM »
Domestic trout, steelhead are the exact same species.
Yes they are....
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

pike46

• looking for my 30 pounder
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2011, 11:02 PM »
Would love to cross a steelhead with a pike! Now that would be a fish!

esox v

« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2011, 11:30 PM »
I say basicly meaning that they are not from an Anadromous strain of rainbow trout...........

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

Stormy_NY

« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2011, 12:38 AM »

fisher7450

• If theres a fish in the water I'll fish it
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2011, 07:06 AM »
everyone has a theory. In one article i read was the hatchery's have cross bread the differant strains for so many years they all are almost the same fish but it also depends on where they got there brood stock from.
A Great Fishermen doesn't need the best equipment.
A Great Fishermen makes the best of what they have.

esox v

« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2011, 08:24 AM »
50 year old fish ..... They need Sen Barclay over there...  Very cool video
I wonder if he's going to buy Leto island !! :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: It's strange trying to figure whats going on there... the cost to repair that bridge leading property has to be to huge for a private individual to afford... No road access would kill the property value or dramatically lower it... I've been wondering if someone connected to the government.. wasn't trying to squeeze the current owner out of the property for a steal... Could  be the CITY doing it for all I know....

NOTE.... This is all speculation on my part... It's kind of strange whats going on over there ... I seems to me the owner or new owner would have to be connected to the government in order to negotiate the  red tape and acquire the political money to make it affordable.. I also heard It was classified as BROWN FIELD...

esox v

« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2011, 08:26 AM »
and  thats  the  thing  esox  they  all  have  to  be  anadromous   or  they  wouldn't   come  back  into  the  streams  to  spawn  then  return  to  the  lake!  even  the  "domestics"  are  acting  like the  steelhead  ...add  to this  it  happens  everywhere  ...good  example  are  the  finger  lakes ....

as  we   look  at  the  fish  in  different  locations   around  the  country  we  can  clearly  see   fish  the  "look"  like  what  we  commonly call steelhead    were  the  steelhead  strain  was  never  introduced! 

i  find  this  fascinating  and  i  personally  want  to learn  more, i  want  to  know  is  it  a  mix  up in  the  genes    at  the hatcherys   or  is  it  simples  a  change  all  O mykiss  can  go  threw  .... 

theres  really  some  interesting  things  here  and  truth  i  don't  think theres  a  100%  sure  answer  .......
By manipulating the Rainbows to spawn in the fall would be helpful in keeping them from interbreeding with the steelhead..

esox v

« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2011, 08:47 AM »
and  thats  the  thing  esox  they  all  have  to  be  anadromous   or  they  wouldn't   come  back  into  the  streams  to  spawn  then  return  to  the  lake!  even  the  "domestics"  are  acting  like the  steelhead  ...add  to this  it  happens  everywhere  ...good  example  are  the  finger  lakes ....
Not really ..... If you look at the defenition of  Andromous Our steelhead do not live in the ocean.... But the strain they came from DOES !!

Also the term Domestic Rainbow... the term domestic comes from the fact that the stocked fish come from a captively raised broodstock. Our  Stocked steelhead come from wild fish that live in the lake and run the rivers and then collected.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lorpt10.pdf
 (Domestic). A captive broodstock which
reaches maturity in a hatchery, regardless of the
source of the eggs that they were derived from.

W (Wild). A broodstock which spends a
significant amount of time and achieve most
growth in a lake or river, including both fish from
natural reproduction as well as feral fish stocked
at an earlier life stage. Adult fish may be held in
captivity for several weeks or months until eggs
are ready to be stripped.

fishgalore

« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2011, 08:52 AM »
By manipulating the Rainbows to spawn in the fall would be helpful in keeping them from interbreeding with the steelhead..

I have to go to work so I'll be back on in 2 or 3 days but the problem with that Scott is that they don't just spawn once they can do it over a period of months. It's not fool proof or if you like spawn proof!!

esox v

« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2011, 08:54 AM »
I have to go to work so I'll be back on in 2 or 3 days but the problem with that Scott is that they don't just spawn once they can do it over a period of months. It's not fool proof or if you like spawn proof!!
I said it would  HELP... not that it was 100%bullet proof.

esox v

« Reply #26 on: Oct 30, 2011, 08:55 AM »
 I wonder why our rainbows would be clasified as anadromous ?? If they didn't come from an anadromous strain??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_migration  
Potamodromous.

Truly migratory fishes whose migrations occur wholly within freshwater. (From [potamos], river ... ) ... [Rarely used[1]. This term and oceanodromous received the fishes excluded by the narrowing of anadromous and catadromous]

esox v

« Reply #27 on: Oct 30, 2011, 09:33 AM »
and If DR's start to spawn in October till December.... They are still seperated by a 3 month period of time having the coldest water temperatures of the year...

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #28 on: Oct 30, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Give up Bro, he's not getting it..
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Dark Cloud

« Reply #29 on: Oct 30, 2011, 09:59 AM »
 ..... did  you know  at  one  time   steelhead  sperm  was  used  in  the  medical  fields  as  a  anti  cloguant??

Lets keep this clean and about fishing. I dont want to hear about what people do behind closed doors...  :w00t: :w00t: :whistling: :whistling: ;D
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.