FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56505 times)

esox v

Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #30 on: Oct 30, 2011, 10:01 AM »
thats  not  always  the   case,   a  hatchery  raised  domestic     can  spawn  in  oct     or  nov  and   again  spawn   in  early  spring!  ...... the  reason  why   all  this  is  so  very  very  important  and  why   they  are  starting  to  study  with  DNA markers  has  to  do  with  the  facts  that   the   natural  steelhead  population  is  dwindling!   it  is  very possiable  that  the  great  lakes   could  one  day  return  the   favor  and     be  used  as   stockings   for  the  west  coast!  

Where are you getting this info on our fishery ?? I don't recall seeing anything like that ? or are you speaking of the west coast noaa study?
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Special Ed

« Reply #31 on: Oct 30, 2011, 12:56 PM »
 or  that   farm  raised   rainbows  are   becomeing  a   top food  source  ,  the  rainbow  has  been   transplanted   to  47  countrys ....  hing ;D
Both of those statements are old news.     Rainbow trout have been the #1 selling Farm Raised / Aquacultured) food fish for many years.   

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:38 PM »
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

bcons

« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Wow this is still going?  Steelie sperm really? Uhhhhhh no matter what side of a debate you're on, or what your personal beliefs are you can google any opinion and find 6000000000000 links to back up your point, however so can the other guy. 
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Wow this is still going?  Steelie sperm really? Uhhhhhh no matter what side of a debate you're on, or what your personal beliefs are you can google any opinion and find 6000000000000 links to back up your point, however so can the other guy.  
hear is a question bcons: was that a steel head or a domestic rainbow that i got thru the ice last year ::) ::) ::) ::) ??? :-* ;D

esox v

« Reply #35 on: Oct 30, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Wow this is still going?  Steelie sperm really? Uhhhhhh no matter what side of a debate you're on, or what your personal beliefs are you can google any opinion and find 6000000000000 links to back up your point, however so can the other guy. 
Not necessarly B.... the facts in this debate have been pretty much one sided..........

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

« Reply #36 on: Oct 30, 2011, 04:41 PM »
hear is a question bcons: was that a steel head or a domestic rainbow that i got thru the ice last year ::) ::) ::) ::) ??? :-* ;D
It was your fish what do you think ??

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: Oct 31, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Have at it.....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishgalore

« Reply #38 on: Oct 31, 2011, 07:35 AM »
Have at it.....

thank you sir............I hope it doesn't come back to bite me if you know what I mean. I don't mind if Im incorrect on the subject at hand but lets keep it clean gents.

fishgalore

« Reply #39 on: Oct 31, 2011, 07:46 AM »
Here's some info from the DEC sites and links I sent to Scott:-

Scott,

This is what the DEC link noted and it says it was recently updated info.:-

Spawning
Rainbow trout spawn or reproduce in the spring, while New York's other trout spawn in the fall. Like salmon, most trout species build nests, called redds. Using their tails to fan the bottom, female trout create a depression in clean gravel or cobble sites in streams and, occasionally, in seepage areas in ponds. The males remain nearby and drive off rivals. When the nest is ready, the eggs are deposited, quickly fertilized, and covered under a layer of gravel. Both adults then move on, leaving the eggs and young to develop on their own.

Lake trout, however, do not follow this spawning habit. Rather than build a nest, they simply scatter their eggs over the lake bottom.

Trout eggs are larger and fewer in number than those of many other fish species. For example, while a mature female walleye may have 50,000 to 100,000 eggs, a mature female trout may only have 1,000 to 3,000 eggs. After the trout eggs hatch, the young fish (called alevins) remain in the gravel for about one week before emerging to feed.

An interesting fact is that although rainbow trout spawn later than other New York trout species, their eggs still hatch at about the same time in the spring. This is because the amount of time required for fish eggs to develop depends on the water temperature. Eggs develop faster in warm water than in cool water. Therefore, the eggs deposited in the fall take longer to hatch - as they develop over the winter - than those deposited in the early spring, allowing the eggs of each species to hatch at a similar time.

Washington Steelhead
Mature Washington steelhead begin to enter Lake Ontario tributaries in small numbers as early as mid-September. By mid-October the run has intensified as the water temperatures of the streams drop to the optimum range of 45-58 degrees F for migration. The late October thru November period, before water temperatures get cooler than 40 degrees F, is typically one of the best times to fish for Washington steelhead in the tributaries as they are aggressively feeding. As water temperatures drop into the 30's, the run will slow considerably; however brief warming periods will bring new fish into the tributaries throughout the winter months of January and February. Spawning usually begins in Mid-March and continues through late April. After spawning, the fish begin to drop back downstream to the lake. Hungry and no longer distracted by the spawning ritual, these "drop-back" fish begin to feed heavily and can provide excellent fishing on some tributaries into mid-May.

I know it's been said that Domestic spawn in the fall and Steel in the Spring. So why does the DEC note that Rainbows spawn in the Spring as well? BTW:- I searched this by the phrase on their site "Domestic Rainbow Spawn".

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7016.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/62202.html

fishingjason

« Reply #40 on: Oct 31, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Whatever the case, here is a link to some interseting Pacific water Rainbows/Steelhead replicas.

http://www.blackwaterfishreplicas.com/site/gallery.html#steel

fishgalore

« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Dinner break again at home...........woohoo.

I spoke to my buddy COD (aka Gillripper1)about this today and he said when he did the "Catch the Drift" boat trip in Nov. '09 that Capt Kevin said you cannot ID them by sight alone then he showed them how to ID them (Domestic Rainbows or Steelhead colored like Rainbows) . The better way, he said, is the way they fight on a hook..................so a slender one like the picture I posted on the other thread may, in fact, be a Steelhead (ie the one that was in the middle of the Chrome Steelie and Brown). James would know from the fight the fish gave. If the thing rockets out of the water doing cartwheels and flips galore then the likelihood is that it is a Steelhead. The difference is in the fight and not the color. i think fisher7450 noted this already.  He also noted that the Domestics may have more of a football shape as well. The Domestics fight but not like a Steelie. COD said the difference was very evident that day on the Oz between Domestics and Steelies that looked like Domestics.

Possibly more opinion than proof but the source is a very good one.   

fisher7450

• If theres a fish in the water I'll fish it
« Reply #42 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:01 PM »
and i only stated that from experience my pb i believe was a domestic. it didn't take any runs more than 10 ft and did more flipping and spinning under water right in front of me then any fish i ever caught. oh and it was caught on the break wall in the lake fully colored in oct. on a cleo with 8lb test line  and from belly to dorsal it was built like a coho, just over 16lbs  that was about 8 years ago.  funnny thing i brought it ovet to larry's and he begged me to mount it as i had him fileted but he called it a steelhead so like i said i believe it was a domestic but i'll never no for sure  ;)
A Great Fishermen doesn't need the best equipment.
A Great Fishermen makes the best of what they have.

fishgalore

« Reply #43 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Well it looks like several more days 16 on 8 off so Ill have to wait a few more days to get to the library to try and locate that book I want to read. If I can do so I willl share its contents as I read it on this thread. I have to say, and my track record to date this year is not good for landing anything, I hope I can hook into both kinds the next trip up in about 9 days time.

A trip in December for a weekend only is still in the cards as well. If conditions permit Oz is a must both trips.

jj7leaf

« Reply #44 on: Nov 01, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Dinner break again at home...........woohoo.

I spoke to my buddy COD (aka Gillripper1)about this today and he said when he did the "Catch the Drift" boat trip in Nov. '09 that Capt Kevin said you cannot ID them by sight alone then he showed them how to ID them (Domestic Rainbows or Steelhead colored like Rainbows) . The better way, he said, is the way they fight on a hook..................so a slender one like the picture I posted on the other thread may, in fact, be a Steelhead (ie the one that was in the middle of the Chrome Steelie and Brown). James would know from the fight the fish gave. If the thing rockets out of the water doing cartwheels and flips galore then the likelihood is that it is a Steelhead. The difference is in the fight and not the color. i think fisher7450 noted this already.  He also noted that the Domestics may have more of a football shape as well. The Domestics fight but not like a Steelie. COD said the difference was very evident that day on the Oz between Domestics and Steelies that looked like Domestics.

Possibly more opinion than proof but the source is a very good one.   

Great opinion and I have a lot of respect for Kevin but if you hook a steelhead that has been hooked, played or landed twice that week do you think it would still jump all over the place and go crazy or do you think it would just bull dog using the current?   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.