FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56484 times)

jj7leaf

Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #45 on: Nov 01, 2011, 01:56 PM »
For the folks who are having an issue reading. we'll go to pictures again.
What is this?

Domestic Rainbow.. Say it Class D-O-M-E-S-T-I-C  R-A-I-N-B-O-W.. Very Good Class!

What is this? Well??

Its A Steelhead.. VERY GOOD Now Say it S-T-E-E-L-H-E-A-D.. Very good!!

Again ok

DOMESTIC RAINBOW!

DOMSETIC RAINBOW!

DOMESTIC RAINBOW!

DOMESTIC RAINBOW!

STEELHEAD!

STEELHEAD!

STEELHEAD!

Class dissmissed!
you need More OK!!
STEELHEAD!

STEELHEAD!

OK GOING BACK TO THE DOMESTIC RAINBOWS, DON'T BLINK!

END OF STORY!
(From Simplecarp pictures On page #1)

I agree with every one of your examples except #5
Can you tell what the date was at that point?
If it was after December I would say Male Steelhead, alot of upper river steelhead that spend the entire winter in the shallow dark water will take up coloration like that for camoflage.  

Who can ID these?

fishgalore

« Reply #46 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:14 PM »
Great opinion and I have a lot of respect for Kevin but if you hook a steelhead that has been hooked, played or landed twice that week do you think it would still jump all over the place and go crazy or do you think it would just bull dog using the current?   

I thought about that scenario and obviously it's not fool proof but remember the note about Domestics above that they are shaped more like footballs..............couple that with the fight and you may be able to tell.  Some of Franks examples clearly were Domestics and others could be questioned as you already noted. Additionally, some are not even allowing the possibility that if it is colored like a Rainbow that it may be a Steelhead. That's what I don't get.  100% ID'ing is likely not possible for many fisherman. You have to have a greater knowledge of many factors including color, shape, size, spawn & fight!

The scenario you posed is a good one but it highlights the difficulty of the task IMO.

Trap, in part, it is about ID'ing but that's not the whole ball of wax either. More to come in the next few weeks.

Dinner break at home again............yabadabado!

steelie24

• Hooked since first steel - 1965
« Reply #47 on: Nov 01, 2011, 05:03 PM »
A questions for those that have fished Oswego a long time...I started fishing there around 2000 and noticed a bunch of domestics that were as previously stated looked like footballs, short and very wide. I actually caught a very colorful male that I estimated was in the 16-17lb range in 2002, I thought at the time I would get another as I had seen quite a few over the previous couple years, so I released it...I didn't catch another one like it and saw very few since. I had some domestic that were over 10lbs but they weren't the same shape. My question is...was there a different strain there years ago?...and there just isn't anymore around. The only other place I saw fish like these was out west in some of the lakes.  Oh, and about 3 years ago I lost one in N. Sandy that was huge and wide.

lpv89

« Reply #48 on: Nov 01, 2011, 05:42 PM »
i have a possible wild Steelie i caught last year out of the burty

i know its not native to burt but everything was clean. fins were tight no marks. and boy did it fight harder than hell... harder than any other steelie ive ever hooked

Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

fisher7450

• If theres a fish in the water I'll fish it
« Reply #49 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:19 PM »
A questions for those that have fished Oswego a long time...I started fishing there around 2000 and noticed a bunch of domestics that were as previously stated looked like footballs, short and very wide. I actually caught a very colorful male that I estimated was in the 16-17lb range in 2002, I thought at the time I would get another as I had seen quite a few over the previous couple years, so I released it...I didn't catch another one like it and saw very few since. I had some domestic that were over 10lbs but they weren't the same shape. My question is...was there a different strain there years ago?...and there just isn't anymore around. The only other place I saw fish like these was out west in some of the lakes.  Oh, and about 3 years ago I lost one in N. Sandy that was huge and wide.
I think the size changed when the bait changd but thats opinion
A Great Fishermen doesn't need the best equipment.
A Great Fishermen makes the best of what they have.

lpv89

« Reply #50 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:58 PM »
now  thats   exactly  what  were  talking  about  ....  what  is  that?   rainbow ?   domistic?  steelhead  ...wild   spawn  ... orrrrrrrrr  mix?????

very  very  nice  fish     ;D

Thanks Trap. and my friend Adam who i was fishing with. came right out and said he believed it was a wild fish. ive never seen a fish fly so high out of the water. and pull so hard on my pin. it faught like a 20 pound king
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

fisher7450

• If theres a fish in the water I'll fish it
« Reply #51 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:07 PM »
thats a good point trap it would explain why they vary so much in shape and color
 all i was saying was when the smelt population dove so did the girth of our fish
A Great Fishermen doesn't need the best equipment.
A Great Fishermen makes the best of what they have.

esox v

« Reply #52 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:31 PM »

If it was after December I would say Male Steelhead, alot of upper river steelhead that spend the entire winter in the shallow dark water will take up coloration like that for camoflage.  

Who can ID these?

Are them are the crazy bass giant rainbows they catch up by DRIFTER in Canada ?? They look familiar
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

« Reply #53 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:33 PM »
i have a possible wild Steelie i caught last year out of the burty

i know its not native to burt but everything was clean. fins were tight no marks. and boy did it fight harder than hell... harder than any other steelie ive ever hooked

Why did you photoshop in them ugly glasses ??

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

« Reply #54 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:15 PM »

That fish was caught on my birthday December 4th... I took the picture.... Look at the coloration of these fish all caught on the same day from the same body of water... Note body shape and coloration of these fish...could be male steelhead all lit up ?????

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #55 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Scanned this quick........

Your domestic rainbows will start spawning in the next 2 weeks around here and your earliest cowlitz strain steelhead will start around Christmas and continue all winter, even though your biggest cluster of spawners occurs in march through mid may.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

jj7leaf

« Reply #56 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Are them are the crazy bass giant rainbows they catch up by DRIFTER in Canada ?? They look familiar

Both of the fish I showed were Steelhead that run from the west coast to Idaho.  They are in the river for a long time to go that far and they all darken up for camoflage as they near spawing time.  Same way a bass and alot of other fish show different colorations depending on the depth, water clarity, and how long they were in the area you found them in.

j

fishgalore

« Reply #57 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:25 AM »

Who can ID these?

I just want to know if you are in any of those pics with either fish? If you are then, darn dude, that is one nice catch. Bet that was some real fun to land a fish like that.

What did you catch it on.........Flyrod, CP or ??

jj7leaf

« Reply #58 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:31 AM »
I just want to know if you are in any of those pics with either fish? If you are then, darn dude, that is one nice catch. Bet that was some real fun to land a fish like that.

What did you catch it on.........Flyrod, CP or ??

Not me, pulled from the interweb.

fishgalore

« Reply #59 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:39 AM »
Not me, pulled from the interweb.

Thanks and to bad! Don Hunter is my friends friend (Don has a place in Pulaski & fishes the SR often). Anyway here's some pics from a recent trip he did in Oregon:-

Don is the guy in the 3rd row. Maybe someday I can get there.
http://www.hobofishing.com/post/2011/10/24/Got-out-in-Oregon-Hit-a-little-secret-hole.aspx

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.