FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56417 times)

fishthefalls123

Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #60 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:04 AM »
nice pics on don bob! great looking fish and that looks like one heck of a place to go to!

waterwolf603

« Reply #61 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:28 AM »
some good looking fish guys, I still have no clue I think I am with the majority of you and will go with the omykiss theory... none the less they are fun as heck to catch and great looking fish
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

fishgalore

« Reply #62 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Don got into a good mix of fish, Kings, Silvers (Coho), Steelhead and even a Cut Throat.  

I cannot ID the Cut Throat so I went here and found this:- http://www.coloradotrouthunters.com/troutidentification.html

Still can't see which one in Don's picture is a Cut Throat. But I didn't spend a lot of time either. Getting ready for work again but found the site interesting.

fishthefalls123

« Reply #63 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:14 AM »
very interesting site bob. i belive a way to check for a deffinate cut throat is the distinct red line in the lower section of the gill plate from seeing a normal cut throat and a the hyrid on the site you can see tht both have a red line in  the lower section on the gill plate. i think thats a way of telling if im not mistaken

fishthefalls123

« Reply #64 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:16 AM »
also on a side note glad to see you got your power back on im heading back home later in the afternoon today but gotta work at ramsey 5:30 till 9:30. so praying we have light !!!!

fishgalore

« Reply #65 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:20 PM »
OK, so I asked Aaron Shook from Hobofishing.com out in Oregon one of the questions we've been discussing and here is his response:-

Hey Bob.
 The answer to your question is yes we do get Steelies colored like bows, but telling them apart is very easy. We do not have any bows that big, ans also the bows have a lot of spots through out the face and a Steelhead typically will not.
 Size is the best tell though.

Thanks for the comment.

Aaron
Flymstr;

The comment I made and question is posted at the bottom of the link on his site for the "Got out in Oregon. Hit a little secret hole date". Just click on the comments (3) link to view. In addition, go to the home page for more of Donny's trip and the Chums they are catching now.

http://www.hobofishing.com/

Dinner at home again.

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #66 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:25 PM »
well  , i  am feeling  good  about  this  thread  now !  seeing  all the  different    strains  ...... i  think  the  more  we  learn  the  more  we realize  we  don't  know  ......  but  thats  what  makes  fishing  fun  ;D .......
What don't you Know? you can tell by just looking at the fish what they are.

Somebody tell me when a spring spawner Drops eggs in October????
Now here is a Spring spawning Female Washington Steelhead I caught 5 weeks later.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
What's this WE stuff? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

lpv89

« Reply #67 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Heres the thing, some Domestic strains spawn in the fall. it all depends on what strain it is.. or how mutated the gene's of the fish are.  Here in New York it is clear that we have created a bunch of mutt steelhead in dog terms
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #68 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:03 PM »
What don't you Know? you can tell by just looking at the fish what they are.

Somebody tell me when a spring spawner Drops eggs in October????
Now here is a Spring spawning Female Washington Steelhead I caught 5 weeks later.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
What's this WE stuff? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
all i can say is i ways there for that one and i watched as the pair were making a bed and spawning. as i took the picture eggs were poring out and that fish was done. not a steel head is my opinion it was a fall spawning domestic rain bow :-*

lpv89

« Reply #69 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:20 PM »
exactly  what  i  think  has  happened   however  what  people  are   missing  ...being  a  put  and  take  fishery   ,changes  can  be  made  rather   quickly ,  another  thing   no one  has  mentioned     theres   5  other   lakes  upstream   and  another  country  stocking   just   on  the  other  shore  line  ....  years  ago i  can  rember   the   different  fin  clips   between  the  US  and   canada  ....  i  admitt  i  haven't   stayed    abreast     to  it  all  .... 

i  still  find  the  number  of   cross  kings  and  cohos    strange  ...i  honestly  wonder  if  this   occures   in  the  wild  of  hatchery  mishaps  .... 
As much as it is a put and take fishery, i do know that Canada focuses mostly on Atlantics now. they have a lot of natural Repro for the steel/bows, as for the America Side. who truely knows if we actually do have natural reproduction. i know they do not know for sure. but think about the Lower Niagara River. its HUGE. and a lot of gravel in areas. whose to say that they are not reproducing there. and sometimes it stays in the low 50's into the Beginning of July.
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

fishgalore

« Reply #70 on: Nov 03, 2011, 03:08 AM »
Ok now I'm convinced that James Rainbow colored fish is not a Rainbow at all. Here's the reason why:- "also the bows have a lot of spots through out the face and a Steelhead typically will not". Aaron Shooks (Steelhead expert and guide) answer to my question is as simple as that.  http://www.hobofishing.com/

Look closely at the picture and in particular at the middle ?Rainbow? or ?Steelhead?. STEELHEAD! I zoomed in on Tinypic and there are NO spots on it's face............none!!!
"We" that is all of us that are interested in this topic, just might have hit the jackpot!!! Some may be happy about it and some might be angry about it but it is what it is. Might I conclude case closed? NO because the learning is not over and "we" have not arrived to a full and complete understanding of this species. There is more to learn just watch and see.
If anyone would like me to forward a copy of the picture so you can zoom in as I did just let me know. I guarantee you will see for yourself!

fishgalore

« Reply #71 on: Nov 03, 2011, 03:12 AM »
For the folks who are having an issue reading. we'll go to pictures again.
What is this?

Domestic Rainbow.. Say it Class D-O-M-E-S-T-I-C  R-A-I-N-B-O-W.. Very Good Class!

What is this? Well??

Its A Steelhead.. VERY GOOD Now Say it S-T-E-E-L-H-E-A-D.. Very good!!

Again ok

DOMESTIC RAINBOW!

DOMSETIC RAINBOW!

DOMESTIC RAINBOW!

DOMESTIC RAINBOW!

STEELHEAD!

STEELHEAD!

STEELHEAD!

Class dissmissed!
you need More OK!!
STEELHEAD!

STEELHEAD!

OK GOING BACK TO THE DOMESTIC RAINBOWS, DON'T BLINK!

END OF STORY!

As far as I can tell in all of Franks examples there ARE spots on the face of these Domestic Rainbows. So I would conclude that Frank is correct with regard to these examples.

fishgalore

« Reply #72 on: Nov 03, 2011, 03:58 AM »
This cropped view is not as clear as I'd like but it seems to me that there are no spots. In Franks examples the spots are all over the face/head. Also with the magnifier on my Gillripper cap shows no visible spots when I use it to view the original picture.

fishgalore

« Reply #73 on: Nov 03, 2011, 04:15 AM »
Compare:-  Also notice the wound on the underside of her mouth. It appears she was preparing a redd and was either preparing to spawn or was spawning. I caught this fish on 12/13/09

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #74 on: Nov 03, 2011, 05:31 AM »
You also have to put into a perspcetive too Bob, at that time of the year you have a few different strains of Steelhead in the river too. Summer spawners and spring spawners. The fish that Gillripper is hold is a Spring spawning Steelhead. The other one that guy number two is holding, looks to me to be a Late, summer run Male Steelhead. To thin and sleak to be a Domestic Rainbow. Look at your pig your holding just fat from the head to the anal fin. Thats what we're talking about here.. You can I.D. the different fish very easy.
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.