FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56597 times)

bcons

Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #195 on: Nov 30, 2011, 02:20 PM »

Every Day  ::) ::) ::) :cookoo: :cookoo: :sleep1: :sleep1:

:nono: :nono: :nono:   "No!!! no soup for you!"  I believe it says somewhere those without at least  300 posts are not allowed to be smarta&^  :P :P
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

fishgalore

« Reply #196 on: Dec 04, 2011, 05:05 AM »
Ok a quiz for those who are interested.

Who is Seth Green? (hint:- not the contemporary person...........another hint........fish fauna).

What fish type was the first propagated from it's native habitat in America? What company was used to ship these fish?

Who was the 1st to propagate the Rainbow trout?  No one will get this one even with the hint........Hint:-OPASC

What 2 specific states were involved in the very 1st propagation of Rainbow trout? I fixed the question.

I will post the answers tonight if no one gets them correct.

Special Ed

« Reply #197 on: Dec 04, 2011, 06:53 AM »

Who is Seth Green? (hint:- not the contemporary person...........another hint........fish fauna).

What fish type was the first propagated from it's native habitat in America? What company was used to ship these fish?

Who was the 1st to propagate the Rainbow trout?  No one will get this one even with the hint........Hint:-OPASC

What 2 specific states were involved in the propagation of Rainbow trout?

I will post the answers tonight if no one gets them correct.

NO GOOGLE ALLOWED !! ;) ;) ;D

fishgalore

« Reply #198 on: Dec 04, 2011, 08:20 AM »
NO GOOGLE ALLOWED !! ;) ;) ;D

Most would not have a clue without google.................google is ok as long as they learn something IMO.

shark

« Reply #199 on: Dec 04, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Seth Green is   Red Greens brother ,         He uses electrical tape insteads of Duct tape.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #200 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Didn't he play Goldmember's son in Austin Powers?
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #201 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:26 AM »
I really do know ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishgalore

« Reply #202 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Didn't he play Goldmember's son in Austin Powers?
RG

I believe so haha. 

fishgalore

« Reply #203 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:40 AM »
I really do know ;D

RG

Do you know all the answers or just the answer to the 1st question?

fishgalore

« Reply #204 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Seth Green is   Red Greens brother ,         He uses electrical tape insteads of Duct tape.

BOBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!! Wrong answer.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #205 on: Dec 04, 2011, 12:14 PM »
What fish type was the first propagated from it's native habitat in America.... i  believe  brook  trout  
first  2  states  i  believe  were    new  york  and    NC

Who was the 1st to propagate the Rainbow trout ...  CA? (first  hatchery  anyways )   first   state  stockings  were  in  Oklahoma

Seth Green is   Red Greens brother ,         He uses electrical tape insteads of Duct tape"   and  this  is  true  ....  i  don'y  know  why  anyone  would  perfer   electrical  tape  over  duct    but  he  does

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #206 on: Dec 04, 2011, 01:43 PM »
No, I don't know all the answers.
Seth Green is purported to be the father of modern American aquaculture.....fish farming.

I also believe that the Brook Trout was the first, or one of the first, fish raised right in my area, West Bloomfield by Steven Ainsworth and that Seth Green used what he learned from Ainsworth to make a ton of money raising fish for commercial sale somewhere in NY.
Read a few of Seth Green's book on fishing the Finger lakes many years ago. I'll have to see if I can dig them up.

RG

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #207 on: Dec 04, 2011, 02:28 PM »
i  love  this  thread ,  the  opinions  th  facts  the  history  .....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishgalore

« Reply #208 on: Dec 04, 2011, 02:54 PM »
What fish type was the first propagated from it's native habitat in America.... i  believe  brook  trout  
first  2  states  i  believe  were    new  york  and    NC

Who was the 1st to propagate the Rainbow trout ...  CA? (first  hatchery  anyways )   first   state  stockings  were  in  Oklahoma

Seth Green is   Red Greens brother ,         He uses electrical tape insteads of Duct tape"   and  this  is  true  ....  i  don'y  know  why  anyone  would  perfer   electrical  tape  over  duct    but  he  does

Trapp, I give you half credit for your answer..........since Brook trout are native to the Eastern part of the country not the whole of America. They were found as far west as Eastern Iowa.........in the heartland. Therefore, they were propagated where they were already native!

The answer I was looking for was the Pacific Salmon..............known also as the Chinook or King Salmon. The company that was used to ship them was Wells Fargo!

RG...............good job. Every NY fisherman should know this stuff. They should teach it in the classroom. You will see how interesting the Seth Green answer becomes!!

I will list the answers now.

fishgalore

« Reply #209 on: Dec 04, 2011, 03:08 PM »

Here are 2 links for your answer........http://www.sethgreentu.org/

This one is even more intriguing:- http://www.cal-mum.com/fishhatchery.htm

Caledonia Fish Hatchery was the first fish hatchery in the western hemisphere. The hatchery was first started in 1864 by the father of fish culture, Seth Green. In 1870 Caledonia was acquired by New York State. The hatchery specializes in raising brown trout and has a capacity to produce over 800,000 trout a year.

Pacific Salmon & Wells Fargo

Ornithological and Piscatorial Acclimatiizing Society of California

What 2 specific states were involved in the very 1st propagation of Rainbow trout? I fixed the question.

California & New York

It is no surprise on the one hand that NY is a key player in the history of fish culture. For those who think it's second to the West Coast or even less important than that are sadly mistaken. It is no wonder why the NY region is one of the top fisheries in the Western Hemisphere IMO.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.