FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56484 times)

Special Ed

Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #210 on: Dec 04, 2011, 03:35 PM »

It is no surprise on the one hand that NY is a key player in the history of fish culture. For those who think it's second to the West Coast or even less important than that are sadly mistaken. It is no wonder why the NY region is one of the top fisheries in the Western Hemisphere IMO.

[/quote]It may have been the other way around had the pilgrims landed in Sacremento  ;D ;D

fishgalore

« Reply #211 on: Dec 04, 2011, 03:51 PM »

It is no surprise on the one hand that NY is a key player in the history of fish culture. For those who think it's second to the West Coast or even less important than that are sadly mistaken. It is no wonder why the NY region is one of the top fisheries in the Western Hemisphere IMO.

It may have been the other way around had the pilgrims landed in Sacremento  ;D ;D

Yeah, and if my aunt had ba11s she'd have been my uncle !

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #212 on: Dec 04, 2011, 03:58 PM »
RG...............good job. Every NY fisherman should know this stuff. They should teach it in the classroom. You will see how interesting the Seth Green answer becomes!!

UNFAIR   RG   use  to  drive  a  stage  coach  for  wells  fargo!!!!!

very  cool  fish  i  enjoyed  that !
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #213 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:32 AM »
You probably know this , but Seth Green was also Superintendent of Fisheries in NY  in the late 1800's.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #214 on: Dec 05, 2011, 01:16 PM »
When I was a kid and before down riggers where invented I think, or economical my grandfather used to fish Seth green rigs on Seneca and Cayuga lake.  They used to work great!!!!
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

shark

« Reply #215 on: Dec 05, 2011, 01:33 PM »
When I was a kid and before down riggers where invented I think, or economical my grandfather used to fish Seth green rigs on Seneca and Cayuga lake.  They used to work great!!!!
   They are still used today.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #216 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:14 PM »

UNFAIR   RG   use  to  drive  a  stage  coach  for  wells  fargo!!!!!

You oughta know...you rode shotgun ya old fart!

;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #217 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:25 PM »
 i  used  5.56 ball ammo  in  my  mini  14  and  we  got  threw  :rotflol: .........sorry  RG  i'll  behave ..............sorta

hey  is  a  12  ga  using  damascus barrels still a  12  ga?  thats  my  stage   coach  gun ;D

oatkasut

« Reply #218 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Seth Green was born on Ridge Rd. and Culver Rd. on the Irondequoit/Rochester ,NY  border and developed a  love for fish by his study of them in the Genesee river. The Caledonia fish hatchery raises all the 2 year old browns for the state of New york plus alot more.

trapper2000

« Reply #219 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:40 PM »
i  think  we  need another  fishing  quiz    ;D

i  wonder   was  the   raising  of  rainbows  here  because  of  the  need   to  fed   NYC??

fishgalore

« Reply #220 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Seth Green was born on Ridge Rd. and Culver Rd. on the Irondequoit/Rochester ,NY  border and developed a  love for fish by his study of them in the Genesee river. The Caledonia fish hatchery raises all the 2 year old browns for the state of New york plus alot more.

yes sir, good stuff!

fishit

« Reply #221 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:49 PM »

Not "all" of the 2 year old trout for the state are raised at Caledonia, they do a great job...On a side note if you ever get a chance to fish the Mill creek that supplies water for Caledonia it has a strain of brown trout in it that have red spots on their dorsal fins, very rare and very cool...I will look for some of the pictures I have...
1,168,124 Trout caught and released since 1997...another good year for the trout...

fishgalore

« Reply #222 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:03 PM »
i  think  we  need another  fishing  quiz    ;D

Here's your quiz:-

Who, after graduating from Harvard and pastored a Unitarian Church in New Hamphire, left the ministry presumably to pursue fish culture and built a hatchery in California for the federal government?

On what river was the hatchery to be built in California?

Who helped him with that task? What fish were they to send back east?

What Indian Tribe in California was a threat to their safety upon arriving there?

How many fish did they catch that had not already spawned to harvest their eggs? How many eggs did they get?

I will post the answers some time after 10 pm tonight. Time to decorate the tree with my daughter.

fishgalore

« Reply #223 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:22 PM »

Here's your quiz:- 

Who, after graduating from Harvard and pastored a Unitarian Church in New Hamphire, left the ministry presumably to pursue fish culture and built a hatchery in California for the federal government?

Livingston Stone

On what river was the hatchery to be built in California?

McCloud River........ 50 miles north of the railroad terminus at the town of Red Bluff. It was here that they struggled to identify another species that they sometimes caught..........the Indians called it "syoolott" namely the Rainbow Trout.

Who helped him with that task? His nephew Willard Perrin & Vermonter Myron Green

What fish were they to send back east? Pacific Salmon

What Indian Tribe in California was a threat to their safety upon arriving there? Wintu

How many fish did they catch that had not already spawned to harvest their eggs? Only 26

How many eggs did they get? but one bucket.........which was shipped via Wells Fargo back east and the fry from these were stocked in the Susquehanna River and never seen again.

trapper2000

« Reply #224 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:31 PM »
thats  pretty  cool   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.