FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1472390 times)

filetandrelease

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #8790 on: Sep 23, 2021, 06:00 AM »

I’m down for a few days as I got 7 stitches in my index finger so fishing is on hold ☹️

iceman260

« Reply #8791 on: Sep 23, 2021, 06:37 AM »
Sorry to hear that fandr.

Pequod1

« Reply #8792 on: Sep 23, 2021, 06:40 AM »
That’s tough. How did you manage that? 

filetandrelease

« Reply #8793 on: Sep 23, 2021, 06:48 AM »
That’s tough. How did you manage that?
Absolute freak accident with a boning knife couldn’t repeat if I tried lol ,
   I’m paired up well my fishing bud has a broken jaw 😜

xc600

• ADK
« Reply #8794 on: Sep 23, 2021, 06:50 AM »
I caught some in short couple nights ago, been checking off my dock but no minnows yet. 72 degrees on this end too, seems a little warm for this time of year.

reeleyz

« Reply #8795 on: Sep 23, 2021, 08:46 AM »
Get healed up Fred!

Saw a bunch of gulls and cormorants hitting a school of bait near shore the other day. I was driving down the road. I bet that was a good place to catch a few!

Pequod1

« Reply #8796 on: Sep 24, 2021, 03:49 PM »
Well, I just got back fro Oneida looking for perch.  I fished with two other friends that were in their boats and figured someone would find them.  We did. Tons of dinks. Occasional perch over 9”  but not many.  Fished out of Oneida shores and stopped and tried everywhere east to Maple bay.  The perch is still too warm at 69 deg. 
  I think the problem was I didn’t ask permission first from you guys. My bad ;D
Oh well, that’s fishing.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #8797 on: Sep 24, 2021, 06:23 PM »
broken legs  broken jaws   cut  fingers ....thats  one  motley  crew right there  .....but they do catch  fish ...

ps i got a  black  eye  from my boo boo lol
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

PerchEyes

« Reply #8798 on: Sep 27, 2021, 06:54 AM »
Hi,
I'm hoping you experienced Oneida Lake boaters can give me some advice on what trolling motor to buy.
I finally got my first boat, a 2019 18ft center console, M-hull. The boat is fiberglass so a bit heavy at 1600lbs.
It has a Simrad so I don't think I need additional sonar capabilities.

Questions I have:
How much thrust?
Any maker better at GPS position locking than others?
Any other features I need to evaluate?
If I keep the boat docked at a marina how do you secure the unit?

I'd like to keep the cost to around $1500 but may go as high as $2K if the features/quality required so.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
PerchEyes

Jakep138

« Reply #8799 on: Sep 28, 2021, 05:43 AM »
Nice seeing ya out there Pequod, we scrounged up enough for a meal or two , we made them pay elsewhere on Saturday found a quality pod and the wife and I along with dogs got on em .

Just put me on ice and ill find water!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8800 on: Sep 28, 2021, 05:45 AM »
Nice haul Jake..👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #8801 on: Sep 28, 2021, 06:15 AM »
oh thats a  couple  fish  frys ....great job  jake
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

filetandrelease

« Reply #8802 on: Sep 28, 2021, 06:24 AM »

Good going Mr& Mrs P 🎣👍

Flukeman

« Reply #8803 on: Sep 28, 2021, 06:26 AM »
PerchEyes,
At your price point you are probably looking at the Terrova in the Minn Kota line up. They also have the Power Drive, but not a fan of that model. I am not familiar with the equivalents to that in other brands. I am not a troller, but have spent two years fishing at least one day every weekend with a troller and I have the 36v 112# 52" shaft Ultrex on my boat. His boat is 18ft aluminum with 36volt 112# Ulterra. With the Terrova you can do basically the same things we can with our larger more expensive units, just not as conveniently. His set up is linked Ulterra to Helix unit at the dash, we troll exclusively with trolling motor. With a Simirad I dont believe linking will be an option, someone who knows that brand can help you out there.

Personally I would estimate shaft length, volts, and power according to the type of water I fish. For example: I mostly bass fish" 250 acre lakes" up to the "Great Lakes". I have a 21ft fiberglass bassboat that is heavy. I fish 40 fOW to very heavy weeds. Tournaments do not get cancelled very often for weather and being in 4-6 footers is common on Ontario/Champlain/ and even Onieda on some days. I chose 36volts, 112#, 52" shaft, Ultrex to address all those issues. I am 300 pounds and stood on my front deck with a 45" shaft coming right out of the water, it sucks, so shaft length was important to me. The 36v and 112# cuts through heavy weed mats for hours like nothing, and drains very little battery.

If you only fish on calm sunny days in deep water, you can get away with much less trolling motor. I always looked at it as I would rather have too much rather than too little, especially at today's prices.

Your boat probably needs a longer shaft if it is deep V type. I do not believe Simirad links to Minn Kota Terrova, but you can still follow the contour by dropping waypoints on your productive spots. I would lean towards a minimum of 24 volts and 55# of thrust for open water trolling. They all come with hand held remotes, they do not all automatically come with a foot pedal. If you want one make sure it comes with model number you choose. Many people make this mistake by accident. Spotlock is actually the best thing since sliced bread. It allows you to fish, land fish, ties lures, and eat lunch without drifting off your spot. Today they all seem to do a pretty good good job with GPS. Of course more expensive does equal tighter holding and following GPS components. As far as security - I use locking nuts hidden below top cap. Pain in the ass to mount, probably pain in the ass to steal. Most Minn Kotas offer a quick release plate if you want to remove it when you are not using it.

I have been behind Minn Kota - Power Drive, Terrova, Ultrex, and Ulterra. As well as Garmin Force, and several Motor Guide models. A lot of your choice will be driven by what you are willing to spend. A lot of guys on here troll, they probably use some features I do not even know about.

Good Luck

mcully

« Reply #8804 on: Sep 28, 2021, 08:10 AM »
terrova 36v 112 w 72" shaft on my Key West 211 and it doesn't come out of the water in big waves. I get about 7 hours trolling at 1.8-2.1mph and all day easily if just spot locking even in stiff wind.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.