FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: September.....A Lot of Moving Parts  (Read 2262 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
September.....A Lot of Moving Parts
« on: Oct 02, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Holdover browns, colored up natives, a decent mountain bite, and action on tide water.  With the weather ranging from hot to like early winter, September provided a pile of good options if you were able to follow changing conditions.

The holdover browns continued to provide the rewards that started in the small water in the foothills in August.  These weren't big fish by any means, but it's nice to see that the stocking investment yields dividends for more than just a few weeks. 

The camera's flash in the dark really popped the yellow on this late biter.

As the month went by, the browns also colored up and added white edges on their fins 8)

Summer hung on for much in the month in bigger water and lower elevations.  Few trout showed up here, but the warm water fish took up the slack.  It was obvious that this guy could have swallowed the reel on my 3-weight in one bite.

It was also apparent that the fish's runs exposed flaws in my line control.

I also spotted a chipmunk making a swim for it (in the middle of the pic), but from what I've read since, it's not all that uncommon.

The colors started  early in mountains. 

The fish continued to cooperate, with most falling for an emerger or soft hackle trailed behind an EHC or Parachute Adams.

There were times when I couldn't crack the high ground code.  There were some true mountain pool monsters in this hole, browns with spots bigger than dimes and 'bows with eye-popping crimson stripes.  The deep water and unstable banks made for a complicated approach at best.  I threw everything I had at them without a look, until one tipped up and nudged my partridge and orange at dusk.  My set was a full whiff, and ended the action for the evening.  The distance between that fish's dorsal and tail fins told me a bunch....20" and more...one I'd love to have back ;)

By late month, the colors closer to the coast began to burst.

Low water was a consistent complication, that somewhat limited success.  It seems to be a recurring theme in recent Falls. These pictures span a variety of locations and different types of water.

The last pic of low water above is an Androscoggin River trib that often pulls in some bigger river run fish right to the base of the escarpment.  As can be seen, no water or upbound big boys and gals this year.  If one thing was hurt the most by the lack of water, it was the lake and river run fish, but there's still time!

With a bit of footpower (about a mile off Old Mill Road and a mile downstream), I found a few pools close to the coast with enough groundwater seep and gradient to hold some fine natives.  I have to say that the 2nd pic here is one of those rare ones that does a fish justice.

There's worse ways to pass the day than with few chunky stockies in a scenic spot, and I fit a bit of that in.

No Fall would be complete without a few shots at tide water.  Stripers cooperated in the dark on ebb tides.

I hoped to tie into a few big white catfish with the stripers, but they proved to be a elusive.

On to October, hopefully better flows and bigger trout and salmon on the move 8)

zwiggles

Re: September.....A Lot of Moving Parts
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2019, 02:40 PM »
I might have been “refreshing” this page for the past two days in anticipation of this report. As always it did not disappoint! And I completely agree with you on the photo that “did the fish justice”. It is a breathtaking photo that looks like it belongs on the cover of a trout fishing magazine!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2019, 02:51 PM »
I might have been “refreshing” this page for the past two days in anticipation of this report.

Same!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Awesome report & pictures, is that all Maine or any NH in the mix? I would love to know where that pool with 20"ers are!   ;D Love that shot of the native in the net with the worm markings on the back.  Bet that was special.

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Great photos Jim. Those worm markings are beautiful. Following your escapades throughout the year, explains why your weight just about equals the amount of water in some of those streams.
I've spent most of my time fishing crappie, bows and stripers. Maybe next year we can throw some line together again.
In the meantime, we'll try to get together this winter in one of my smelt shacks. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Jim, You had a great month covering lots of ground to get to your beautiful waters. A nice mix of fish as usual. Awesome !

deerhunter

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2019, 06:35 AM »
another fantastic fall report and pics. those brookies are gorgeous.

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2019, 08:53 AM »
The smelt shack sounds good, Bob.  Some early ice panfish could also be good.  We might get there fast.  I could have used a wool hat on my bald head last night in that north wind. 

Great photos Jim. Those worm markings are beautiful. Following your escapades throughout the year, explains why your weight just about equals the amount of water in some of those streams.
I've spent most of my time fishing crappie, bows and stripers. Maybe next year we can throw some line together again.
In the meantime, we'll try to get together this winter in one of my smelt shacks. ;D

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Thanks, Randall.

The 'bows are mostly NH, the browns are mostly ME, and the brookies are both.  I carry both licenses now since I frequent the border area and don't like bad surprises :laugh:

Awesome report & pictures, is that all Maine or any NH in the mix? I would love to know where that pool with 20"ers are!   ;D Love that shot of the native in the net with the worm markings on the back.  Bet that was special.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2019, 10:36 AM »
Awesome Jim! Love all the details.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Great post Jim.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2019, 11:43 AM »
I always look forward to your monthly reports, Jim. October should be a banner month as long as we get adequate rain.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Jim - you've nailed it.  It seems you've turned a bunch of grown men, myself included, into kids at the holidays - each eagerly awaiting the time when that special day finally arrives!

Always a report worth looking forward to but some real gems in the September mix!   Looks like a blast and glad to see you were able to entice a few stripers. 

Jim C.

« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Thanks for all your nice comments.  I enjoy seeing what I can come up with in the course of a month.  Thus far, my pic "album" for October is empty. The skunk monkey took a bite out of me on Tues. eve.  I can't wait to set that right ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.