FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another question for saltyshores  (Read 1617 times)

stguy

Another question for saltyshores
« on: Oct 19, 2019, 06:57 PM »
If you look close at this picture, the second Togue from the left has a bunch of sores on it and a big patch of discolored skin.....I've caught a bunch of fish with the sores and funky skin colors, but this one put up an insane fight, peeled off 100' feet of line in about 3 seconds, jumped out of the water like a salmon on crack, ( we thought it was a salmon) jumped over the net a few times and once we got it in the boat it thrashed around like nothing I've ever seen. I've been told that the sores are a type of herpes but after seeing this one it was more like rabies, have you ever heard of a lake trout acting like this?

And I also have to say, other than the skin, it was the healthiest fish I've caught in Sebago in a couple years, it had definitely been eating well.

woodchip1

Re: Another question for saltyshores
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2019, 07:00 AM »
Maybe Lampreys in the lake.

jacksmelt

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2019, 08:53 AM »
that is strange that it jumped but I've seen sores like that on togue and salmon. usually virus or bacterial infection. could be lampreys but I've never heard of them in Maine waters. maybe others know more.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2019, 09:15 AM »
that is strange that it jumped but I've seen sores like that on togue and salmon. usually virus or bacterial infection. could be lampreys but I've never heard of them in Maine waters. maybe others know more.

Yup!

From my experience raising fish, 9 times out of 10 with salmonids in the char family, the "sores" are an aeromonas infection of which there are several species. Salmonids in the char family, of which lake trout are part of, are especially prone to them. Interestly many fish have the bacteria in their gut but it doesn't effect them negtively until they are stressed. Suboptimal temps in the summer and/or suboptimal oxygen levels can stress them. Also fish are actually stressed during spawning activity as feeding can be suspended, fightng among males etc. And if diet is not optimal that can stress them too, and even catch and release.

Also this can be more common when fish are planted if the hatchery has a history of aeromonas infections.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stguy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Is there any way it can effect there behavior?? This was like no other fresh water fish I've ever caught, it literally insane.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2019, 09:53 AM »
I doubt it.  If it's bad enough it will actually weaken them.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Is there any way it can effect there behavior?? This was like no other fresh water fish I've ever caught, it literally insane.

I’m thinking it behaved so “erratically” because it was so healthy as you mentioned.

I’ve had one lake trout fight in a similar manner in Winni (out of the hundreds and hundreds we have caught over the years). I was driving, and saw the fish jump more than once while glancing back. When they netted in and said “laker” I thought for sure they were pulling my leg. But it was just a Laker trout that puked up about three dozen pin smelt in the boat when we unhooked it (like yours very very well fed). It was also late September with cool temps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.