FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly line for Landlocked Salmon  (Read 2672 times)

troutaddict33

Fly line for Landlocked Salmon
« on: Apr 17, 2008, 08:27 PM »
Hey guys i figured i'de post over here rather than NY because it seems like you guys do more salmon fishing than most my way. I've been trolling with fly rods on the surface for landlock salmon in Lake George NY. Now, i don't have the fly line i used in the past and don't remember what it was (floating/sinking??) but back then i was catching many more salmon. The set up i am using now is identical other than now i am using different line that is floating line but im not getting a lot of action; only 1 or 2 fish to hit a day rather than 5 or so like before. What type of line do you guys prefer. I'm hoping it's just an issue like this rather than they don't hit like they used to or i can't fish like i used to  :'( :'( any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

hardwatergrampa

Re: Fly line for Landlock Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2008, 08:29 PM »
full sink line for trolling

bluefinforme

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2008, 08:31 PM »
ya most use sinking or leadcore...I prefer the sinking fly line.......reminds me of fly fishing kind of  ;D

troutaddict33

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2008, 08:33 PM »
How far down does the sinking line go??

fuldraw

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2008, 09:15 PM »
if you are trolling with flys and have 30 yards of sinking line and 30 feet or so of leader you will be at about 8 feet if your backing is just to the water.  if you are trolling slower with live bait with the same line and distance you will prob be around 12-13 feet

troutaddict33

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2008, 09:25 PM »
awsome... i guess ill be doing that tomorrow and maybe leave one with floating for a bit since i have been getting hits on it and they look up of course. thanks for the help

FLAG

Re: Fly line for Landlocked Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2008, 05:20 AM »
I use the Salmon Trolling Level Line from Cortland. Works great ;)

Yukon Steve

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2008, 07:34 AM »
I was told the Cortland 333+ (salmon trolling line) works well so I just spooled up with it.
Steve

TightLines

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2008, 08:10 AM »
awsome... i guess ill be doing that tomorrow and maybe leave one with floating for a bit since i have been getting hits on it and they look up of course. thanks for the help
The guy I fish with uses on floating with two splitshots on a 15' floro leader and one full sinking with a 15' leader and does good on both. The longer the leader the higher your fly will run. I find the sinking runs about 8' down but a 20' leader bring the fly up about 3'. I run very close to shore in shallow water and don't tend to hook bottom unless I get less that 5' of water. Hope it helps.
Salmon jump at the site of my boat. ;D

Feeding Eagles one pike at a time. ;D

FLAG

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2008, 08:14 AM »
I was told the Cortland 333+ (salmon trolling line) works well so I just spooled up with it.

you can't go wrong with that ;)

troutaddict33

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2008, 09:32 AM »
The guy I fish with uses on floating with two splitshots on a 15' floro leader and one full sinking with a 15' leader and does good on both. The longer the leader the higher your fly will run. I find the sinking runs about 8' down but a 20' leader bring the fly up about 3'. I run very close to shore in shallow water and don't tend to hook bottom unless I get less that 5' of water. Hope it helps.

yeah ill try that split shot method on my floating that's a good idea... i have a barrel swivel between a 10-12 ft liter and the line the minnow rig is on which im sure was bringing it down a little. seemed to be about 3-4 feet down. as far as getting stuck the hot spots aroung here are in about 100 ft of water even though its a stone throw from shore. thanks for the ideas/help.

MaineFishah

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2008, 09:58 AM »
Just curious if sink tip line will have a similar effect compared to the splitshot method. Or are the splitshots a lot heavier. Maybe  the sink tip with a smaller splitshot on the leader.

troutchaser

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2008, 01:02 PM »
BOY    TROUT ADDICT   WEVE GOT OURSELVES MIXED RIGHT UP IN THAT WOLF SUBJEC T AY   LOL

troutaddict33

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2008, 01:12 PM »
BOY    TROUT ADDICT   WEVE GOT OURSELVES MIXED RIGHT UP IN THAT WOLF SUBJEC T AY   LOL

yeah but they all admitted the other day the kill all attitude was wrong and that they don't have that... read my last posts in 5 wolves killed between LT, Doggbitter and myself. if you sympathize with them a little while still making your point they chill out a bit

troutchaser

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2008, 01:28 PM »
I LIKED WHAT FULDRAW SAID TROUT ADDICT  THATS WHAT I DO   WORKS 4 ME

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.