FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Are giant panfish coming to a lake near you!!!  (Read 8127 times)

skinny40

Are giant panfish coming to a lake near you!!!
« on: Jan 24, 2021, 01:53 PM »
Well the Dec has a plan.... https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/122166.html

Mac Attack

Re: Are giant panfish coming to a lake near you!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Wow

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2021, 04:32 PM »
Quite a plan. I can live with it.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2021, 05:40 PM »

Well Caz and six town will end up full of dinks more fish competing for the same food , I’ve fished these lakes for many years
 Plus the people on Caz are killing off the weeds 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2021, 05:53 PM »
Interesting Fred. I’ve fished Honeoye for a very long time. There’s a good population of gills, but it gets hammered hard. Maybe a size and reduced limit would help foster some big old gills.

I’m no fisheries biologist.just my thoughts.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:18 PM »
I think they should require fish over 9” to be thrown back and get rid of the limit.  Cull the dinks.
I’ve fished Silver and Honeoye and they are both loaded with dinks.

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:26 PM »
Interesting Fred. I’ve fished Honeoye for a very long time. There’s a good population of gills, but it gets hammered hard. Maybe a size and reduced limit would help foster some big old gills.I’m no fisheries biologist.just my thoughts.Rg
I’ve never fished there so I’ll take the word of somebody that has spent years fishing it without question

gotagetm

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Plan looks interesting to me

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Spring, fall and winter there. No sense trying to fish it in summer.. early spring yields some of the biggest sunfish I’ve ever seen. Winter can ...at times....give up some huge gills. But, over the past 5-10 years, size is much more difficult to come by. Not laying blame...just saying.

Rg

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2021, 06:05 AM »
I think they should require fish over 9” to be thrown back and get rid of the limit.  Cull the dinks.
I’ve fished Silver and Honeoye and they are both loaded with dinks.

I agree 100%. Silver has a huge population of decent panfish. If anything, just lower the limit a bit. I get nervous any time the state tries to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Why the he-- does everyone have to have the biggest and best of everything? There are a lot of folks that feed their families with the fish they catch. With the road this country is headed down, It will be even more important.

DANMAN

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:14 PM »
Comments on the draft plan should be submitted via e-mail to [email protected]   before february 15 2021

Draft Plan Highlights

Reducing the sunfish statewide daily harvest limit from 50 to 25 fish.
Increasing the crappie statewide minimum size limit from 9 to 10 inches.
Establishing the Big Panfish Initiative, which includes:
Implementing an 8-inch minimum size limit and a daily harvest limit of 15 for sunfish in the following waters: Blydenburgh Lake (DEC Region 1), Lake Welch (Region 3), Canadarago Lake and Goodyear Lake (Region 4), Saratoga Lake (Region 5), Sixtown Pond and Red Lake (Region 6), Cazenovia Lake and Otisco Lake (Region 7), Honeoye Lake (Region 8), and Silver Lake (Region 9)
Implementing a 12-inch minimum size limit and a daily harvest limit of 10 for crappie in the following waters: Blydenburgh Lake (DEC Region 1), Muscoot Reservoir (Region 3), Saratoga Lake (Region 5), Delta Lake (Region 6), Cazenovia Lake and Otisco Lake (Region 7), Waneta/Lamoka lakes and Honeoye Lake (Region 8), and Bear Lake (Region 9)

greensider

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2021, 04:13 PM »
First they told people they can’t shoot a four point buck now it’s a trophy panfish state they want i call crap most ponds and lakes will never put out crappie and gills the size they want and for decades they have preached keep panfish to help the rest grow it just more control leave it as is

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2021, 07:05 AM »
Only one way to counteract that. Speak up!
Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2021, 07:17 AM »
Here’s an interesting read  regarding response to their survey.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/sunfishanglersurveytb.pdf

I find it interesting that they sent the survey to their 147,000 subscribers and that only 1400 answered. If I’m reading it correctly, that’s a pretty apathetic reaponse.

Rg

mcully

« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2021, 09:06 AM »
Did any of you get that notice? I know I didn't. I emailed to leave it alone and quit killing off the weed beds in these "trophy" wanna B private lakes.
 If you don't want people to sell fish then end that.
Did lakeside owners make up a large portion of responders? I can speak to Caz that the locals plain do not want us on that lake as was proven during the public access meetings where ice fishermen were purported as crazy drunken sex fiends. This has an agenda behind it and it isn't in the "average" sportsman's interest.
Can you tell I'm not a fan?
One "trophy" lake gave up 50 8-9.5" gills in about two hours sight fishing in 14' of water  last week. Saw many many other year classes as well and pulled the bait away from many toothy picks too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.