FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: From a Rainbow to Two Rainbows to Gold  (Read 878 times)

bogtrotter

From a Rainbow to Two Rainbows to Gold
« on: Oct 17, 2021, 07:40 PM »
This afternoon, while driving the back road to North Adams to fish Fish Pond (Windsor Lake), I spied an unusually wide but poorly defined rainbow, which fortunately proved to be a harbinger of things to come.

When I arrived, the weather was mostly cloudy, breezy and cool (57 degrees). 

A couple hours yielded a 12" and a 13" rainbow (both near the Town Beach) and five sunfish (some near the Town Beach and some closer to the SW corner heading toward the Boat Ramp) - - one of which gave me a better fight than the rainbows.

Heading home, I had an early cookout dinner - - steak, boiled potatoes and a salad with 20 mostly homegrown and/or foraged ingredients - - including two, dock and mustard greens, that I just learned about yesterday from a friend who took my older daughter and I mushrooming - - all chased down with a Smithwick's Red Ale.

Later on, I took my younger son fishing on Lake Onota for an hour shortly after dark (between 6:30 and 7:30 PM) while it was still breezy but the thermometer had dipped to just 47 degrees.

After 10 or 15 minutes of fishing, my son hooked and landed a 24" carp on a few pieces of corn (hence the "gold" of the subject line), which turned out to be our sole catch of the night

ICEHOLE

Re: From a Rainbow to Two Rainbows to Gold
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2021, 01:39 PM »
pulling up a carp in 15 minutes of fishing tells you that you are in the right spot!
I think I only set one ice trap out all last season on Onota for carp, it was something i wanted to pull off last year, but lake trout on other lakes took up most of my winter.
i watched my camera for carp a few times and didn't witness any cruisers.
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2021, 08:16 PM »
That's interesting. 

I've never heard of anyone catching a carp through the ice. 

Is that even a thing?

I always assumed carp hibernated in the winter.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2021, 06:54 AM »
One of Paul's clients landed a world record common through the ice in sheffield years back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.