FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bummer no New England Vacation this year  (Read 1463 times)

taxid

Bummer no New England Vacation this year
« on: May 11, 2022, 10:13 PM »
My 84 year old mother is in bad shape and my 86 year old dad is stressed out taking care of her. She also can't sleep at night and keeps him up all night so I need to go over in the morning so he can get some sleep for a few hours. I also make the main meal for the day now. Family comes first. It is what it is.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Johnnh

Re: Bummer no New England Vacation this year
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 04:22 AM »
Your a good man.
Best wishes to your mom & dad

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 04:55 AM »
Your a good man.
Best wishes to your mom & dad

Thanks John. They made sacrifices for me so...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 05:43 AM »
Good on you.

I take it you're an only child (or at least the only one in the area)?

Out of curiousity, when you do come back to New England, what's your usual "base of operations"?

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 07:11 AM »
Sorry to read that Cecil.  Come visit when you can, Ill get you out in the salt. 

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 10:08 AM »

It is what we do , they took care of us growing up , we should look out for them as they get on in years and need help with what ever

taxid

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Sorry to read that Cecil.  Come visit when you can, Ill get you out in the salt.

Thanks that's very kind of you. It won't be for at least another year though. 

taxid

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 10:43 AM »
Good on you.

I take it you're an only child (or at least the only one in the area)?

Out of curiousity, when you do come back to New England, what's your usual "base of operations"?

No, I have an identical twin but he lives about 40 miles away and has a regular job he goes to every day. I'm self employed but semi retired. My parents live in an apartment above my garage so I'm near by. Another sister has disowned the family due to mainly her own issues, and another sister comes when she can, and stays for several days, but she is 4 hours away.

As a kid I used to live at the former Ft. Devens that straddles Middlesex and Worcester counties. Was going stay a few days at a place in Sterling to fish a local lake I know well and the Chu with a fly rod for catch and release sunfish.  Also a few days at an airbnb close to Quabbin to fish Quabbin. One year the wife and I stayed at Bed an Breakfast in Blandford, Mass which was run by my ancestors way back in the 1700's.  (Baird Tavern)

Sometimes we go to Maine which isn't as congested. Really sad to see how congested Mass has become compared to the 1960's when I lived there. But still a nice place to visit. The wife loves the fresh seafood. Everything is frozen before it's cooked here. Big difference!

Steve H.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 11:09 AM »
Stinks that you're not able to vacation out this way.  But I hear ya when it comes to taking care of an aging parent, gotta do it.

The fish will still be here when you get the opportunity.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

taxid

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 12:29 PM »
Stinks that you're not able to vacation out this way.  But I hear ya when it comes to taking care of an aging parent, gotta do it.

The fish will still be here when you get the opportunity.

Thanks. A lot worse things happening to other folks in the world these days. I consider myself blessed compared to them.

Ryan51993

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 06:44 PM »
Sorry to hear about your trip, I've been in the same boat the last couple years. Haven't taken a real vacation because too many other things have come up. This year I'm hoping to finally make the time. On the bright side we're expecting a hot and wet summer here so you'll be avoiding the unbearable New England humidity!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 09:41 AM »
My 84 year old mother is in bad shape and my 86 year old dad is stressed out taking care of her. She also can't sleep at night and keeps him up all night so I need to go over in the morning so he can get some sleep for a few hours. I also make the main meal for the day now. Family comes first. It is what it is.

I can relate! My step father has Parkinson's and my 82 year old mother is his caregiver, so I try to go visit and give her a break or at least some company as much as possible.

By the way, I've been thinking of you quite a bit, I have a big project in Devens, MA and drive by Mirror Lake all the time. Each time I go by I say "There's Cecil's lake!" Some day I plan to walk in there and wet a line in your honor.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 09:40 PM »
I can relate! My step father has Parkinson's and my 82 year old mother is his caregiver, so I try to go visit and give her a break or at least some company as much as possible.

By the way, I've been thinking of you quite a bit, I have a big project in Devens, MA and drive by Mirror Lake all the time. Each time I go by I say "There's Cecil's lake!" Some day I plan to walk in there and wet a line in your honor.

Funny you say that. I showed a guy from Ayer how to catch trout with a down rigger and and rubber band release there years ago. I took him out in the boat as he was fishing from the bank with his brother and fishing was slow for them. After that he pulled his boat out of the weeds and fixed it all up. I had a small downrigger laying around I sent to him. He started catching and releasing up to 25 trout on every outing, and said so few people fish the pond in the summer that he was going to name the pond after himself.  His killer rig was a size 0 chrome dodger followed by a sewn on shiner with a very small treble hook set at about 25 feet on the downrigger.  I also showed him how to use a slip bobber and he caught 6 pound brown on that.

It's heavily stocked twice a year with bows and browns and sometimes also brooks. There is some holdover as the water quality is outstanding with an average depth of 40 feet and maximum dept of 68 feet. For a 28 acre pond that's quite deep and may be the deepest pond for surface area in the state. The 6 acre natural pond adjacent to it is 30 feet deep. Clarity is about 23 feet "Mirror Lake." I saw a guy catch and release a 3 lb. brook trout from a kayak a few years ago trolling lead core.  A Lot of small largemouth with very few big ones (25 inch largemouth bass was caught and released there through the ice last winter), nice size bluegills, and some big yellow perch if you can find them. No crappies or smallmouth bass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.