FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly Tying  (Read 7794 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Fly Tying
« on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:40 PM »
Thought I'd start it up ;D
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

mike VDM

Re: Fly Tying
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Going to learn this summer!  Hope to have some super secret jigs for the next ice season!

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2004, 11:47 PM »
I was hoping someone would.  I suggested it in the suggestions board.

What do you tie the most?  Do you follow standard patterns or create your own?

I follow standard patterns for dries, but like creating my own streamer fly patterns.

fastribs85

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2004, 12:21 AM »
been tying off and on for couple years used them mostly on spinning gear and have fun try to keep to traditional patterns but will try my own once and a while
naked women and beer we got it all in here

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2004, 04:29 AM »
Ever tie any trolling flies???

These patterns have taken trout, salmon, bass, pike, pickerel and perch. They were an experiment that worked.
RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2004, 04:49 AM »
Going to learn this summer!  Hope to have some super secret jigs for the next ice season!

Mike, I still owe you a tool list...Here you go!

Vise, Get the best you can afford. Make sure the head will handle a variety of hook sizes fron tiny to big. The head should be adjustable in all directions while holding the hook so you can look at all sides of the pattern as you tie.

Bobbins ,can't have enough, 2 to start, ceramic sleeves are nice

Bodkin, I made mine from an old bait needle, I have a few sizes and find them useful

Scizzors, Ive tried lots of types and I have settled on Fiskars Embriodery scizzors. These can be found at a quality sewing shop like Sew Creative in Fairport.

Hackle pliars, I have 3, 2 are metal with flat jaws and 1 has rubber jaws

Tweezers find a pair with good tips

The rest depends on how deeply you get into tying.

Hope this helps
Bob

mike VDM

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2004, 07:27 PM »
Well I do believe that some shoppping is in order now!  Thanks RG! 

Mike

seaweed01

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2004, 08:26 PM »
RG,
You didn't tell him about all the necks, feathers, various body material, different type/style hooks, a whip finisher is nice also, various color thread, etc. the list can go on and on and on.
Do you need any lemon wood duck?
Pete

mikevdm

« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2004, 06:59 AM »
I need everything!  Just getting started so I have nothing.  Don't even know how to start but I guess admitting that is a start?  I will be doing some reading and some shopping over the next few weeks.  Hope to have something to try by this summer.  Seaweed have you had your grandson out much after Conesus? 

Mike

Cider

« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2004, 07:46 AM »
Those are some nice trolling flies.  I have never tried tying the tandem hooks before.  Is it difficult?

I tie similar streamers myself.  I use a lot of the newer synthetic material like mylar, crystal flash, flashabou, angel hair, marabou hair, and widow's web.  I also incorporate deer hair and calf's tail of various colors.  I like the synthetic because of the way it refracts and reflects the light as the fly parts the water.  I like to start with a basic smelt pattern or a clouser minnow pattern and tweak it.  I find them to be very effective for trout and salmon. 

Cider

« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:03 AM »
What does everyone have for tools, vises, etc.?  I have a regal gold medal c-clamp vise and most of my tools are from Orvis.  I am thinking about getting a pedestal mount vise so I can be a little more mobile in the future.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:17 AM »
Seaweed1
I was trying NOT to overwhelm him. Mike is an "All In" kind of guy from what I've seen.

He already suffers from rampant jig and ice fishiing equipment addticions. His downward spiral into the dark depths of  flyfishing is inevitable.

Soon, he'll smile at a tiny piece of yarn, his cat's tail will be mostly bald and road kill fur and feathers will take on  special significance. 

Yes, Mike will be found frequenting craft and sewing stores
buying embarrassing things like pink thread, tinsel and tiny colored beads. Soon enough!

RG

seaweed01

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2004, 09:09 AM »
RG,
It sounds like you and I have both "been there" before.

Strikemaster,
He has been out some, but with basketball and all
the extra school activities he has been real busy.
Thanks for asking.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:15 AM »
Cider,
The tandem flies are not difficult to tie.

Obviously, you'd start by whipping the trailer hook to the steel leader. I like the coated steel leader. It's stiffer and keeps the trailer in line with the fly. Be sure to feed the leader through the eye and use drop eye hooks . This allows the hook to hang and set better when hit.

Next whip the leader to the head hook and start building your fly. Keep the leader  in the forward 1/3 of the shank towards the eye so the hook can hang down in use.

I got the idea from tying pike flies and have tied tandem hooks with BIG Muddlers and Dace imitations.

I use weighted Black Nose Dace and Shiner patterns in open water for Smallmouth. Very Deadly.
RG

Cider

« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:32 AM »
Hey RG - that sounds simple enough.  I think I will whip out a few tandems this year to try on landlocks.  I also use the black-nosed dace pattern and I like the mickey finn, gray ghost, Franke shiner, Joe's smelt, and zonkers.  I use dumbbell eyes for weight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.