FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly Tying  (Read 7799 times)

seaweed01

Re: Fly Tying
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2004, 12:57 PM »
What do you guys think of parachute style? I like them much better than the traditional dry fly style.
They sit down in the film more and of course the
small post is easy for "old eyes" to see.

Cider

« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2004, 02:09 PM »
They are certainly a lot easier to fish than a traditional.  Seems like they always land on the surface in the correct presentation everytime.  Traditional drys will from time to time come down upside down or on the side.  Especially if the hackle wasn't put on just right...

I also agree that you get a better chance of hook-up with them because they make a larger profile from underneath the way they get trapped in the surface film.

livin4ice

« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:47 PM »
rgfixit,

I was SO glad to see you mention the cats tail.  I will never forget the look my cat gave me the first time I yanked fur out of it's tail.  Cat hair looks so natural under water and the undercoat makes great dubbing.

Mike

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2004, 06:45 AM »
Thanks for mentioning the Parachute style files. I haven't tied any of these yet , but I really like the look and the idea.
I see some Dun's, Adams, and Mosquitos coming up real soon. It's gotta produce a great Wulff Coachman as well.

For those interested, the best online source for tying instructions that I have found is;
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Great for every one from beginners to masters.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seaweed01

« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:28 AM »
RG,
If you ever start using the parachute style you will
like them, especially on really selective trout.
A tip on tying the parachute:  I have found that if I
tie the posts first and put a small drop of lacquer on
the bottom of it, and after it drys it is easy to wind
the hackle around it. I usually tie up a dozen or two
of the posts before I start whatever pattern I'm
trying. If anyone wants some help/tips that I have learned in tying the parachutes, feel free to ask and
I'll try to help. If you need a sample, thats no problem either.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:42 AM »
That's a good tip Pete. Thanks ;D
What sizes do you normally like? What type and brand of hook?
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seaweed01

« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2004, 12:06 PM »
RG,
I use the standard dry fly hook #94840. I tie 18, 16 & 14, sometimes a 12.  I do not put a tail on 16 or smaller, but do on 14 up.
You want to put the post in the middle or slightly forward on the hook shank.  Use very little material, You will be suprised at how easily you can see the post. As I said before, I use these 85-90% of the time now, except when I'm using a caddis pattern.

fastribs85

« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:17 PM »
mike if your just starting out try some streamers and nymph pattersn just to get down the basics and then start on thr drys but my favorite is the hares era nymph and then the pheasent tail there pretty easy to start with and thats how i learned
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2004, 05:11 PM »
 ;D I liked the Part about The Cat tail...I work shift work at nights and when its slow i tie flies...The Cat at work Bugs me all the time and there has been lots of Times iv'e pinched more then my share of fur from him...He is a glutton for punishment...My dog is also 3 parts wolf one part husky..Big white fur...He doesnt mind being snipped every once in awhile also...Nothing with fur is safe. LOL I also have lots of Parrot feathers but need some Rooster capes as the Parrot Feathers dont quite make the cut...ANyone have Rooster cape for trade?
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.