FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Need advice for saving an aging fly rod  (Read 4480 times)

livin4ice

Need advice for saving an aging fly rod
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 07:18 PM »
I have a two piece pfleuger (sp?) fly rod that has become very loose where it connects.  Any advice on how to tighten it up?  I realy like the rod (it was my first). I don't have a room full of rods (like flynut2004) so I would realy like to make this one work.

Thanks

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Need advice for saving an aging fly rod
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:50 AM »
What type of connection is it? A steel Ferrule or blank to blank?
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

livin4ice

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:39 AM »
It is blank to blank with a rubber end on the male/upper section.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:25 PM »
When you fit the tip to the butt section, is it real loose or does it fit pretty well and loosen up as you cast? Can you remove the rubber stop on the butt section?

Sometimes the manufacturer will put a stop inside the tip section to keep the tip from becoming stuck. If the rubber end on the butt section can be removed it may provide enough travel to tighten up the connection again. It's a good idea to put a bit of wax like dubbing wax on the surface of the butt section so it doesn't get stuck.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

flynuts2004

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:49 PM »
livin4ice - As I can see your having some problems, I think the last time we were on the water together this was a big problem. I can remember those words coming from your mouth when one of the sections of your rod was floating towards me....he...he...  ;D I think it is time to retire this rod and let's hang it in your Office. Your a TRUE Fishing Buddy...

livin4ice

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:15 PM »
They still fit together prety good.  It just loosens up after a few casts.  Flynuts is right, it does tend to come apart if I don't pay attention.  I'm SOOO glad he decided to tell everyone I did that.LOL

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2004, 05:40 AM »
The next step I would take is to determine how much of the sections are actually contacting when put together.

Coat the butt section with chalk to completely cover the surface that fits inside the tip section and assemble the rod as you normally would. On disassembly you should be able to see if the sections fit evenly on all surfaces.

Over the years of use the inside of the tip or the surface of the butt section may have worn to some degree. There may not be enough contact to hold the rod together. This can be corrected if necessary.

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:27 PM »
Well? did he talk you into hanging up your old rod?
RG

livin4ice

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:24 PM »
Not sure yet.  I guess it depends on how my rod building adventure comes out. ??? I'm thinking that I will head to Cabelas soon to get the building supplies.  I may have to buy a rod too.  I want to build a 1 weight but I still need a heavier rod (maybe somewhere in the area of 5 to 7, not sure yet)

I was looking at the ailing rod today.  It seems like it is fitting prety well it just doesn't secure in position very tight.  It looks like it has a lot of buildup on it (chalky).  I am thinking that this may be allowing it to come loose.  Is there something I can do cleaning wise to fix this?

THANKS for all your help on this list RG.

Mike

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:48 AM »
The connection can be rebuilt using Acraglas Jel and a release agent if necessary. Have you probed the tip section to see if there's a stop in place?

RG

Trevor

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:13 PM »
Wax works pretty good for keeping a worn connection together.

Trevor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.