FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leaders....What Do You Use...  (Read 5422 times)

flynuts2004

Leaders....What Do You Use...
« on: Mar 13, 2004, 02:09 PM »
Today's Leaders there are so many, from Mono to Fluorocarbon. I use Dai-Riki Tapered Leaders. Is there something better on the market that I need to look for.

Cider

Re: Leaders....What Do You Use...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2004, 03:25 PM »
You're right, there are a lot of choices out there.  I have always done well with Orvis Super Strong knotless tapered leaders.  They are mono and I use 9' minimum length mostly in 4X, 5X, and 6X.  I will tie on smaller tippet material (Orvis) as needed depending upon the water and what fish I am after.  These are what our local fly shop carries.

I have also had luck with Cortland Fairplay, Climax, and Scientific Anglers leaders.  Cabela's brand leaders aren't bad either.  I have used those a couple of times.

I have never tried using fluorocarbon leaders but might this year.

flynuts2004

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2004, 05:26 PM »
Cider - Thanks, I have not tried the Orvis Leaders, on my next trip to the Fly Shop I will pick some up. I hope someone will post there findings of the Fluorocarbon Leaders.... As this item is new to us in the last couple of years.

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2004, 09:26 PM »
I hope someone will post there findings of the Fluorocarbon Leaders.... As this item is new to us in the last couple of years.

Me too!  Anyone have experience with these leaders??

seaweed01

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:51 AM »
I use Climax leaders and put on fluorocarbon  tippets.
This has worked good for me. Thats the only experience I have with F/C products.

Trevor

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:18 AM »
I hand tie my leaders with Maxima leader material.  Been doing it this way for 24 years.  I've tried tapered leaders and other types of tippet material, but always go back to Maxima.  I'll use either brown or ultragreen for the tippet, depending on water coloration.  I believe tapered leaders are a waste of money, but others swear by them.

Cider

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Trevor - I am intrigued.  Where do you get the Maxima leader material?  Cabela's?

I have never tried to tie my own leaders before.  Maybe this would help with the wind knot issues too?

Why don't you walk us through how you tie up your leaders?  I sure would like to try that this season.

Thanks!

Trevor

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2004, 01:55 PM »
Gladly Cider,

I use a simple and age old formula.  I start with a 36" butt section of 25lb test Maxima.  I then taper down in 18" sections of 20lb, 15lb, 10lb, and 6lb test successively.  I make all the connections with blood knots.  I then, using a double surgeon's knot, attach a tippet 3-5' in length of either 2lb, 3lb, or 4lb depending on the situation.  If I'm fishing a sinking line I'll usually waive the tippet and go directly to the 6lb with the fly.  I usually have about ten of these tied up at any given time. 

I normally tie about an 8" piece of 25lb test to the fly line with a nail knot, then tie a permanent loop in the other end of the 8" section.  I also tie a permanent loop in the fat end of my leaders.   I connect the leader to the fly line with the loop to loop method.   I keep a couple in my pocket.  If you suddenly find yourself a knotted mess right at twilight as the evening hatch peaks, simply detach the knotted leader and quickly attach a fresh one, re-tie the fly and you're back in action.  Nothing worse than messing with knots when fish are rising all around you.

Maxima has an awesome shelf life as well.  The only thing I buy often is the actual tippet material.  The leader material will last for years and tie hundreds of leaders.  I 've taken 20+ pound atlantic salmon on 6lb tippet and can never recall a fish that broke off.

As far as the knotted leaders helping to solve your windknot problem.  They are more likely to tangle as there are more spots on the leader to catch up.  Frequent checks are likely your best remedy, along with eliminating the nasty tailing loop.

I live in Canada and have always been able to find maxima at just about any fly shop from east to west coast.

I did a search and found a couple online sources.

http://www.ishopwiz.com/1/1-0458.html

http://www.flyfishusa.com/newsletter/040901/

Trevor

Cider

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:23 PM »
Awesome Trevor!  Thanks for your input.  I am sure lots of us will benefit from this knowledge!

Thor

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:27 AM »
Following up on Trevor's post, those of you that may try tying up your own leaders may want to consider this "trick" that I learned years ago.

When tying the blood knots, you may want to use less wraps in the very heavy sections of your leaders than in the lighter sections.  For example, when connecting the 25lb mono to the 20lb mono, tie the blood knot with only three or four twists, instead of the customary six twists.

Some time ago I read some advice that said a three twist blood knot in the heavier sections of the leader will still be stronger than the five, six or seven twist blood knot in the lighter sections.  The benefit is that the knots in the heavy sections of the leader are much smaller this way, but they are still strong enough so that the tippet or lighter sections of your leader will break before they do.

Trevor

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:24 AM »
Good point thor, I should have mentioned, that's 100% true.  Sometimes I even go as little as two wraps in the heavy mono.  If you go with too many wraps it's hard as heck to cinch the knot, and I believe the heat generated trying to cinch a knot with too many wraps is enough to significantly weaken the integrity of the mono.  Same theory applies when tying a fly to a tippet, lighter mono will require more wraps, and sometimes a drop of saliva as lubrication when cinching the knot will reduce friction lessening the chances of weakening the line.

Trevor

flynuts2004

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Great Post Trevor, Here in Indiana Mid spring to early summer the cottonwood trees shed and fall into our water-ways, which it is just like cotton balls that attach to your line. This time of the year I will break down and buy a tapered leader so there is less knots for this Yuk to attach itself too. Trevor’s formula is one of the best that I have seen; give it a try there is a lot of self satisfaction and rewards when you tie your own leaders.     ;D

livin4ice

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:07 PM »
Good point Flynuts.  I don't know if anyone else here fishes around cottonwoods but this stuff is nasty.  Around here it covers the water like snow at times.  It clogs up everything, reel, guides and especially your fly's.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.