FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Opinions of today's Fly Lines  (Read 3562 times)

flynuts2004

Opinions of today's Fly Lines
« on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:31 AM »
Please, I need help in the decision that I am about to under-go with a new fly line purchase. It is overwhelming when you walk into the fly shop and start looking around with all the new types.

Everyone should know that your Fly Line is the most important investment on your Fly Rod.

Has anyone here (FIELD) tested the 555 from Cortland, some people says it's good and some say it's bad.

My line change out this year would be my 5 and 7 weight rods, as I use weight foward line. These two rods are my most heavily used rods and abused.

Rick

Trevor

Re: Opinions of today's Fly Lines
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:09 AM »
Rick,

I've used Cortland lines for years, as did my dad and grandfather.  I believe you can't beat em for value and durability.  The main complaint however about them is they go a little soft on those extremely hot days and tend to stick in the guides.  For me I've never found this to be a problem as during the hottest months I'm usually only on the water during twilight periods.  Also, a little scientific angler's line dressing will usually solve the issue real quick.

I also use lines made by Rio, Orvis, and Scientific anglers.

The Rio Windcutter is one of my favs in a WF line.  Very durable, slick, and less prone to tangles as it's fairly stiff.  I use one on my 9wt to punch my big 10" pike flies out a mile.

I have an Orvis wonderline on my 2wt.  It casts like a dream.  However despite Orvis' claim.  They are prone to tangles as it's a fairly supple line.  Depends on the type of fishing you do.  I have the 7ft 2wt for a small creek rod, but I find myself using it in the tube more often than not.  It's a blast nailing lunkers during sping caddis hatches on dries with that little rod.   Anyway the point is when fishing from a tube you normally have large amounts of line sitting in the stripping basket.  The wonderline isn't the best choice for this type of fishing.  The only reason I have it is I picked it up for like $28 a few years back.  I would never pay retail for one of these lines.

I have a Scientific anglers Ultra+3 on my five weight, as well as a Cortland 444 in DT and type3 sinking.  They are all awesome lines.

I have a Cortland 444SL on an 8WT that's been on that rod for about 14 years and still going strong.  Granted I rarely use that rod, It's the rod I let folks use who are trying their hand at flyfishig for pike for the first time...It was my Atlantic Salmon rod back on the Miramichi.

My six weight is spooled with a cheapo line.  It's a fenwick WF.  I think it retails for about $12.  I was reluctant to even try it, but did.  It casts beautifully but has a really rough texture.  Still shoots well through the guides though, and rolls over nicely .  I rarely use the six weight either.  It's mainly a lender when introducing someone to trout fishin.

To conclude, I haven't tried the 555 but I'm sure they are awesome.  I think they are up there in price however.  Probably close to that of Rio's windcutter.  If I were to buy a cortland, it would be old reliable 444.  If you are spending a little more go with the windcutter(if it's available in the weight you need).  The thing with lines it's like asking Chevy or Ford.  You will get very mixed opinions as it's really about preference.  Thing is most lines on the market are good and most manufacturers have recent customer service.  Mainly comes down to what you want to spend.

Trevor

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 10:51 AM »
I tend to agree with Trevor on this subject.  I have been using Cortland 444 lines for many years and really like the way it loads the rod and I get nice distance with it when I need to.

I never seem to have trouble with the line sticking in the guides.  Main thing is to be meticulous with cleaning your line with a good line dressing throughout the season of use.  If you don't keep your lines clean, even the most expensive line will perform like a cheapy!  I also use the Scientific Anglers line dressing and like it.

I have Orvis lines for my 4 weight and am happy with those too.  However, if I had to make a choice I would reach for Cortland without a second thought!

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 12:19 PM »
I agree with Cider and Trevor - Cortland makes a good line. I've used Cortland, Sci-Anglers, AirFlow, Orvis and others. You really can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers lines but there are differences. Some of the differences are price, coil memory, handling and that is to name a few. In WF I prefer the AirFlow lines for handling, low coil memory and its a high floating line. Cider and Trevor gave you some good advice. ;)
Those who are brave are free ..       

tommyboy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:31 PM »
Trevor,

I would suggest that give the Cortland 555 lines a try.  The sticker shock will be gone as soon as you get out on the water with.  I'm not a pro by any means, but I easily added 30-40 feet to my cast just by going from 444 to 555.
I also think that scientific anglers makes a pretty good line, but I have not used it nearly as much as Cortland, so I shouldnt try to make any comparisons.
All I am absolutely sure of is that I will never buy any Orvis lines again, which I have tried to use many times.  Don't get me wrong, they are decent lines, but nowhere near comperably priced lines.  I bought a spool of the $70 Orvis superlines, and it performed about as well as the venerable 444, which can usually be had for less than $40.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Trevor

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2004, 04:43 PM »
Thanks Tommy,

I've been very curious about them.  Next time I'm in the market for a new line(which is pretty much all the time...lol)
I'll give one a try.  I don't mind paying if I'm getting quality.  It's when you pay big and get a disappointment that stinks....

Trevor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.