FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Super Information  (Read 3595 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Super Information
« on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:13 PM »
I want to thank all for giving up some super informatiom here. You are really generous.

I' ve visited a number of other flyfishing sites and have  seen a touch of snobbery going on. None of that here. I've picked up a dozen bits of great info and can't wait to put them to practice.

Now, If I can organize a Carp tourney for our flyfishers this summer..... ;)

Thanks for your contributions.
Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Cider

Re: Super Information
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:24 PM »
Bob and everyone else who posts here,

This is a great forum and I see potential for all kinds of valuable first-hand knowledge coming out of this as the season progresses for beginners, advanced, and even expert fly casters!

I for one am really enjoying talking fly fishing with a bunch of people who really care about the sport and are interested in helping out fellow fisherman maximize their experiences.  True sportsmanship at work here!

Thanks!

Mike

Trevor

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 05:15 PM »
I hear ya RG.  So many holier than thou attitudes, unfortunately.  Thing is I've been doing this(flyfishing) since I was five.  My dad and grandfather were both avid flyfishermen.   I was raised to think I was better than spin fisherman.  I overcame the stereotype through observation.  I've seen spin fishermen who were avid C&R anglers,  fished barbless and had extreme respect for the ecosystem.  I've also seen flyfishers whose ultimate goal seemed to be to kill and gut every fish within casting range.

I read a post this past winter on a local message board.  The angler stated "Ice fishing should be banned on our trout lakes as ice fishermen are generally less conservation minded than fly fishers."  Perhaps it was a troll, but I was enraged.  I am an avid ice angler.  Sorry but I am not content to sit at the vice all winter when I could be catching fish.  I do not treat fish with any less respect when I pursue them through the ice.  The nerve of this guy.  Then I find out he was a fly fisher for about two years.  I have nothing against newcomers to the sport, in fact I welcome them.  But only two short years ago he was a spinfisherman.  Now he is bashing them!!!

We all fish for different reasons but it basically comes down to the thrill of tension on the line.  We are all using the same ecosystem.  So what if our methods differ slightly.  We are all anglers, a brotherhood of sorts.  We all love to catch fish, plain and simple.

Please guys, don't ever let it go to your head that you are an elitist because you use a fly rod.  Stereotypes is not what our beautiful sport needs.   Please respect the other guy's method.  He has as much right to be there as you.

Trevor

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:13 PM »
Trevor, I think your example illustrates the type who likes the "Idea" of being a "Flyfisher" more than  flyfishing itself. I've seen these wannabes  in every type of fishing I persue.

I may be very unconventional by a purist (no negativity intended) standard...but I love flyfishing and the craft that goes with it. It's a part of the fishing that I do.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Trevor

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:43 PM »
Amen man, we as anglers have the right to use whatever means at our disposal to make the most of our time on the water.   I don't believe in all the "purist" crap.  I'll adapt my methods however I see fit to suit the situation in which I find myself.  We spend most of our lives working so let's just enjoy the fact we have the freedom to fish.  Most of my methods are close to that of a purist, not because I choose to conform to an ideal, it's just how I fish.   But hey, I'll weight a fly, add a split shot, and even troll in my tube when things are slow.

The only line I refuse to cross is tipping my fly with bait.

God bless flyfishing!!!

Trevor

livin4ice

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:16 PM »
Well said Trevor.  RG I have run into the same problems with other site's (and fishermen).  I enjoy this site because everyone has one goal...fishing. Whether it's trout, gills, bass, pike or whatever we all have advice to give and questions to ask.  Example: I am currently posting about trying rod building for the first time. RG and others are giving me excelent feedback based on their expertise.  However, just a few days ago I gave RG advice on roll casting.  This is great. Nobody is the PERFECT angler and we all stand to learn every day.  I have never posted to a forum and received such eager response as I have here and at the Shanty.

Thanks guys and lets keep it up.

Mike

Waterweasel

• I hunt so I can tie flies, and eat the rest
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2004, 08:11 AM »
Well said gentleman....I personally consider myself a flyfisherman firs and foremost.  But my season progresses much like this:
Winter= icefishing

early spring (when its muddy and raging) =ultralite spinning for wild brooks, browns and bows

Spring proper= FLYFISHING!! mostly dry.....with a dropper

summer= Bass (both fly and spin)

fall= Flyfishing (and bowhunting)

late fall= hunting and wishing I was ice fishing!

Hey, if all you want to do is flyfish thats good for you.  I just want to fish!
Oh, and anytime it is nice out I will bust out the flyrod no matter what the season.......
Brian
You will never catch the hatch, if you are not there.

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2004, 03:25 PM »
To me (iv'e only flyfished 3 years now) i get this craving to Just cast the ROd....LOL i mean i anticapate the days to flyfish when im sitting on the ice....LAst year During  Ice fishing season It was like Plus 5 perfect day near ice end...My buddy and I who were fishing for Whities brought out the FLy rods to Practice our aim while we fished for whities..We got a few laughs on the ice and a few comments but as anyone who Loves flyfishing will tell ya..Thers nothing like the  Smooth rhtmatic motions of the feel of the Perfect cast or landing exactly where you wanted your fly to land....And the Feel of The set when you see The Prey Hit topwater on a FLy you had tyed only the night before. I know fishing is a adiction but i Believe Myself that FLyfishing is almost  a soulful thing like music is to dancers...You can just feel it and its amazing...LOl Even though Im still a novice i yern to learn more and more each day...Anyhow...Thanks for the Good info guys...I also heard mention of a Carp Fly tourney in the works? Where and when:> ;D
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.