FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bug juice anyone?  (Read 2482 times)

Cider

Bug juice anyone?
« on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:57 PM »
Here's another tip I have discovered in recent years.  (Not a novel idea either.)

Most fly fishermen (and women  ;D) are on the waters at the height of black fly and mosquito season because that also coincides with some of the best fishing in the spring.

I have used 100% Deet insect repellents in the past because they are so darned effective.  However, I have noticed that if you aren't careful to wash that stuff off your hands after applying it, your gear will suffer severly.  It isn't good for waders, fly line, leaders, tippet material, flies...  Well, you get the idea.  It just eats things up!

I have since switched over to a product that is 100% natural.  Called White Mountain Instect Repellent.  (No, I don't have a stake in the company and I won't tell you who makes it so that I don't break any advertising rules on this site!)

I am sure that there are other products on the market that are very similar.  This stuff is made with cedar oil, mint oil, citronella oil, and corn oil for a total 100% of active ingredients.

It smells good and works pretty well.  You have to apply it more frequently, but it is really safe for your fishing gear and you!

Anyone else have any tips for surviving the black fly bite??

dogfish

Re: Bug juice anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:39 AM »
Avon "Skin so Soft"  You smell like a French you know what but it is the best thing out there for black flys (and it gives you soft younger looking skin :o).  I agree with the Deet thing.  It is good stuff keeping bugs off you but do not let it come in contact with man made materials and they say do not put it on your skin.  It is adsorbed and can do nerve dammage?  I guess that is what that little twitch is that I have ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.