FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Latest Creation  (Read 7593 times)

Dr. IceGeek

Latest Creation
« on: May 15, 2005, 06:49 PM »
Here is my latest creation to come out of the basement.  It's my first attempt using fiberglass instead of the more traditional skin mount.  Up to this point all the taxidermy I have been playing around with for the last year have been skin mounts.  Here I made a mold of the smallmouth I caught (it's not a monster or anything...about 17") and then proceeded to lay it up in fiberglass.  Once the cast was complete I then painted it, although it was much more difficult because you don't have the original markings on the skin to help you out.  I took advantage of the fact that both sides of the cast are acceptable and made a 3D mount out of it.  Let me know what you guys think.  I am considering starting a little something on the side once I get a bit more experience....any advice or criticism is always appreciated!
Dr. IceGeek

and here's another view

Deposit

Re: Latest Creation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Wow!! you have some talent. Is this a kit your using? Seems like it would be a good hobby!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 07:23 PM »
It's not a kit, just standard stuff.  I made a 2 part mold out of plaster and used appropriate release agents, then prepped the molds to accept fiberglass.  I used a couple coats of fiberglass thickened with a filler and then used regular resin and fiberglass mat to reinforce everything....did that for both halves of the mold and then put the two halves back together, added some more resin and clamped everything tight.  After it kicks off I open the clamps and pry the fiberglass cast of the fish out of the mold.  I then attach the fins, which were mold/cast seperately, put some eyes in it (which can be purchased from a taxidermty supply house) and then prime it.  After it dries I paint in with a combination of airbrush, and by hand with a small artists brush, then gloss.  I guess I just wanted to see if I could pull off doing one in fiberglass instead of just playing around with skin mounts, because alot of taxidermists are offering fiberglass recreations.  If you prefer catch and release, you can also purchse fiberglass fish blanks if you don't feel like going through the hassle of creating a mold and then a cast of it.  It's actually turned out to be a great release for me and it combines art and fishing; both of which I enjoy
Dr. IceGeek

bottomfeeder

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 07:53 PM »
Very nice,you definatly have the talent to recreate,keep up the good work and show us more pictures of your work.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 10:30 PM »
Wow that looks great, especially that paint job - top notch!!...great job :thumbup_smilie:.   I bet that fiberglass is going to make trout mounts alot easier!!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 11:17 PM »
There is only one word for that: AMAZING!!! Great job! I'm not much of an artist myself, I'd probably try and when done it wouldn't even resemble a fish. And funnily enough, I like those same crawdad cranks you have in the recreation. lol. great job :thumbup_smilie:

Pikeguy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 07:59 AM »
Doc, that looks wonderfull! I have to ask, do you get the scale pattern right out of the mold or do you have to recreate them? Doesn't matter I guess that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown: You're talented for sure.

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 08:13 AM »
PikeGuy,
   When you pour the mold you use what they call a "slash coat"as the first coat of plaster.  The first coat of plaster is very soupy, and really only is as much as a 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch thick.   The first layer doesn't have much strength but it picks up amazing detail; every scale and indentation is visible if done properly.  The mold is then reinforced with subsequent layers.   Thanks again for the kind words.  I'll post the mounts I complete here, maybe even start my own thread if I have time.  Thanks again

d_balm24

• WORK is for people who don't know how to FISH.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 09:34 AM »
excellent job.I would pay money for a mount that looks that good.Great paint job it looks realistic.Keep up the great work.

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 09:53 AM »
The only thing I could add is I think the lure should have been in the fishes mouth. Although I think your idea was to re-create the fish just about to strike the lure, I think it being in the mouth gives you the impression that the fish has indeed been caught.

BTW, nice job.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 10:21 AM »
I've done a few with the lure in the mouth...I just wanted to do something a little different on this one......

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 10:31 AM »
Looks great!  Just one comment in case you didn't think of it, make sure you seriously dull the hook points so someone doesn't accidentally get hooked.
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 11:14 AM »
I already took care of the hooks.... ;)  thanks though

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 05:48 PM »
Dr. IceGeek,
 That smallmouth looks awesome. Being an artist myself I know that it takes a lot of patience and time to do that type of work. You can defiantly tell you put a major amount of time into the detailing and paint job and for sight in how you would like the smallmouth to be positioned. You have captured the interest of people, when they see the bass they wonder, is he going to be hooked or not, lol you always have to keep your audience wondering about your art. Keep up the good work. :thumbup_smilie: ;)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

IndyBassin

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 12:59 PM »
Hey Doc. if your lookin for some decent size fish to practice on.. I would be glad to submit a few good`ens for ya.. depending on your location and if your even interested. I caught a 7lb`r yesterday would love to see on a board..I am posting a pic of it now. I`ve been into some spotted bass also,, had a 4lb`r on Sunday.Let me know what ya think, maybe we can work something out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.