FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: July.....The Heat was On, but the Fishing was Luke Warm  (Read 3828 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: July.....The Heat was On, but the Fishing was Luke Warm
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2020, 06:13 PM »
I was out today on a local brook and also found VERY low water....and that was after our recent rain.  That water temp was 65*, which is OK.  I got into a few, but better flow is needed!

Tried a couple more brooks yesterday an found hardly any water flowing.        Bad summer for trout  Yarmouth area.

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2020, 09:19 PM »
Sorry to hear.  That's says something......and it's not good.

The interesting thing is it's not primarily the high temps for the day but also the lack of cool down at night.

I guess conversely what initiated the ice age was not that it snowed so much, but the fact that at some point the snow cover lingered until the following winter, and the new snow piled on the old snow. Then of course lingering year round snow cover caused the albedo effect decreasing temps even more.

The warm temps stressed the trout and cause a proliferation of gill and skin parasites. I was able to get things back to normal with three consecutive treatments of formalin at 15 mg/l and air temps have gone below normal, but will be above normal by the weekend. Did some things to keep the water cooler this time. I want to at least be able to get a return on my investment. Fingers crossed. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jim C.

« Reply #17 on: Aug 06, 2020, 07:59 AM »
Good luck!  Hope things work out.

It sure is the high night time temps that have been the biggest issue.......as the weather folks call them "maxi-min's". 

The interesting thing is it's not primarily the high temps for the day but also the lack of cool down at night.

I guess conversely what initiated the ice age was not that it snowed so much, but the fact that at some point he snow cover lingered until the following winter, and the new snow piled on the old snow. Then of course lingering year round snow cover caused the albedo effect decreasing temps even more.

The warm temps stressed the trout and cause a proliferation of gill and skin parasites. I was able to get things back to normal with three consecutive treatments of formalin at 15 mg/l and air temps have gone below normal but will be above normal by the weekend. Did some things to keep the water cooler this time. I want to at least be able to get return on my investment. Fingers crossed.

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2020, 09:55 AM »
Good luck!  Hope things work out.

It sure is the high night time temps that have been the biggest issue.......as the weather folks call them "maxi-min's".

Thank you for your thoughtful reply even though I went off subject of your thread a little.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Aug 06, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Great stuff Jim.  Keep fighting the good fight, look forward to the next post.

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2020, 11:04 AM »

I guess conversely what initiated the ice age was not that it snowed so much, but the fact that at some point he snow cover lingered until the following winter, and the new snow piled on the old snow. Then of course lingering year round snow cover caused the albedo effect decreasing temps even more.

The warm temps stressed the trout and cause a proliferation of gill and skin parasites. I was able to get things back to normal with three consecutive treatments of formalin at 15 mg/l and air temps have gone below normal but will be above normal by the weekend. Did some things to keep the water cooler this time. I want to at least be able to get a return on my investment. Fingers crossed.

The warmer winter last year caused our hatchery fish to be big fat and happy. 

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2020, 06:40 PM »
The warmer winter last year caused our hatchery fish to be big fat and happy.

Mine were big fat and happy and then boom they stopped feeding. Then they crowded the inflow from the well. Soon I was finding stressed fish in shallow water and then floaters. Water temp wasn't out of their range but warmer than it should have been. Oxygen levels were fine but the parasites were interfering with their gill respiration. I scooped up some dead hook jawed browns up to 7 or 8 pounds. Made me sick. And steelhead in the 5 to 6 pound range. One Tiger trout that was about 4 pounds.

oatkasut

« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2020, 06:52 PM »
Taxid, sorry to hear of  your water  problem. It's happening in Western New York and I hate it since trout on the fly is my favorite type of fishing  especially on inland streams.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Taxid, sorry to hear of  your water  problem. It's happening in Western New York and I hate it since trout on the fly is my favorite type of fishing  especially on inland streams.

Thank you. Sorry to hear about Western New York too. Every time I head to Massachusetts in June it's hotter than blazes. Lived there as a kid in the late 1960's and early 70's and we didn't have or need AC. Just a ceiling fan.

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Aug 07, 2020, 02:10 PM »

Ironically the iconic trout fishery I fly fish is unaffected yet controlled by a deep water drawing dam.  Ironic how man can allegedly ruin the environment and yet create a stable one via a tailwater fishery. 

taxid

« Reply #25 on: Aug 08, 2020, 07:24 AM »
Ironically the iconic trout fishery I fly fish is unaffected yet controlled by a deep water drawing dam.  Ironic how man can allegedly ruin the environment and yet create a stable one via a tailwater fishery.

Yep that's how they keep a world class trout fishery going in Arkansas although they have issues during drought years. Had a taxidermist call me up once looking for a brown trout specimen. The guy lived right on the White River! I said, "What in the heck are you calling me in Indiana for a brown trout when you have a world class fishery in the White River?" He said due to a drought they cut the flow down and the brown trout fishing sucked for the time being.

Stickbait

« Reply #26 on: Aug 08, 2020, 10:46 AM »
 Great post, beautiful fish! Reading your posts reminds of being a kid, waiting for the latest edition of Fur ,Fish & Game to hit the shelfs.

Jim C.

« Reply #27 on: Aug 08, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Thanks for your kind words. I enjoy putting the posts together.

Great post, beautiful fish! Reading your posts reminds of being a kid, waiting for the latest edition of Fur ,Fish & Game to hit the shelfs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.