FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tackle Junkies: What's the one lure or type of lure..  (Read 4504 times)

Smallmouth Squarepants

That you bought and either slept on or couldn't figure out, until the one moment it just clicked for you?

For me, it was the Spybait. Glad that I finally went back to it, because it saved my butt this weekend and was basically the only thing I could buy a smallie bite on this weekend.

One that still hasn't dropped for me yet (at least as far as striper fishing) is a standard popper. A pencil or a spook style bait, I can get them, but I can never convince them to hit a true popper in the salt. Slow, fast, erratic, rhythmic, nothing. In fact I get more use with my striper poppers as night lures for largemouth.

zwiggles

Re: Tackle Junkies: What's the one lure or type of lure..
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2020, 09:17 AM »
Blade baits for me. Used properly they are highly effective, and I had a few sit for years with no idea how to use them.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Blade baits for me. Used properly they are highly effective, and I had a few sit for years with no idea how to use them.
I always forget about blade baits until I'm out on the water. They somehow have ended up in my Trout Crank/inline spinner/Small spoon box that I never bring out with me until the fall.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2020, 03:26 PM »
Honestly, I’ve never caught a fish on a spinner bait, only on the in-line type.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

gotagetm

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2020, 06:10 PM »
Bucktails, bucktails, bucktails all sizes did I mention bucktails haha

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2020, 07:37 AM »
Honestly, I’ve never caught a fish on a spinner bait, only on the in-line type.
I have a love-hate relationship with spinnerbaits. I caught my PB largemouth on one when I first really got back into bass fishing (and fishing in general), but never really liked fishing them. I took a couple years off from ever throwing one and just this year started using them again (bought a ton of them from the Dicks B5G5 clearance sales after Christmas), although in two very specific circumstances: 1. Big single Colorado bladed ones at night (slowwwww roll em) and 2. Double willow or Large willow w/ small colorado in a weedy environment with reactive fish (basically when I would use a chatterbait but they are keying in on bigger presentations or the flash is pulling them over the vibration). I haven't tried suspended or ledge fishing with a spinnerbait yet, probably going to pick up some really heavy ones for that if this heat keeps up.

And this is all bass specific, for Pike I never really stopped using them. Just run the weedlines from about every approach angle you can and vary your retreive. Also, I hate throwing any spinnerbait on spinning gear, no matter how beefy. Casting with a faster retrieve reel that still has some torque is the way to go for me at least.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Bucktails, bucktails, bucktails all sizes did I mention bucktails haha
I just use them like a jerkbait or glide (for striper at least). Jigging them or bottom bouncing has never worked for me!

Steve H.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2020, 08:56 AM »
Freshwater: swimbaits and drop-shot
Saltwater: tube 'n worm
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

gotagetm

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2020, 09:34 AM »
I swim them too

JDK

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2020, 10:14 AM »
Whopper Plopper

I've thrown one for musky until my arms have just about fallen off.  Caught smallmouth on it but have never even had a follow from the intended species that I know of.

The other is Northeast Troller spoons.  I can't buy a bump most of the time on them.

# SAND

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2020, 09:33 AM »
Freshwater: swimbaits and drop-shot
Saltwater: tube 'n worm
Love me some swimbaits of all varieties (paddletail, hollowbody, hard, big). BPS and Cabelas not carrying Keitechs anymore (and KTP never carrying them) is one of the most frustrating things; The BPS paddletails they carry instead are like Dollar Tree version of the Strike King Rage Swimmer, but without saving as much money!

Drop Shot, for me at least, has a time and a place and that is October-April when I'm not using a Jerkbait or crawling a swimbait.

Never done any salty trolling, so I can't say much on TnW.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Whopper Plopper

I've thrown one for musky until my arms have just about fallen off.  Caught smallmouth on it but have never even had a follow from the intended species that I know of.

The other is Northeast Troller spoons.  I can't buy a bump most of the time on them.

X2 but for pike.  Largemouth destroy them readily.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2020, 04:28 PM »
Countdown rapalas, had a few rattling around in my box that I used from time to time. But when I started trolling them with my neighbor, started catching lots of trout and walleye, what a great lure.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2020, 07:27 AM »
X2 but for pike.  Largemouth destroy them readily.
Agreed for pike too (and the few times I've gone to target muskie). The only topwater I am ever successful with for pike is a Spook of some kind (and that's usually by-catch of targeting bass).

Speaking of Spook/walking baits, I bought the Molix 110 Baitfish Super Sound from KTP a while back due to it saying it had better drawing power. I have not had a single bite on it yet. This further cements my opinion that walking baits should be silent or have (at least) a Knocker, and that rattles and beads are far inferior (case in point, the KVD Sexy Dawg walks better and has better body roll than a Super Spook, but it gets out caught by the Spook 2 to 1. Switch it to the Sexy Dawg Hard Knock and it beats the Super Spook 3 to 2)

fishlessman

« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2020, 12:05 PM »
probably bought a dozen worm harnesses when i was younger, dont ever remember taking one out of the package

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.