FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Canyon Tuna Trip  (Read 1516 times)

Darby

Canyon Tuna Trip
« on: Aug 31, 2020, 05:50 PM »
so a little off topic, but since we were all from Maine, and actually closer to Maine in the northern canyons (Hydrographer and Oceanographer) hopefully no one gets upset I posted in a Maine Fishing forum.  9 of us chartered a boat to target tuna, swordfish,  and tilefish. There are more pictures on Viking Fleet website from our 3 day TNT trip last weekend.  The trip was insane.  We landed 20 yellowfin tuna 50-65lbs, 5 Bigeye Tuna from 160-200lbs, a 170lb swordfish,  20 Mahi, and probably 350lbs of deep water groundfish.  My daughter, 15 years old and 115 pounds, landed the first fish with no help.  It was her first tuna, and was a Bigeye around 160lbs.  The Viking Fivestar is a top notch boat, with a fantastic crew.  From someone that ran a charter boat in the canyons, I would highly recommend these guys.

Steve H.

Re: Canyon Tuna Trip
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2020, 06:37 AM »
Wow, looks like an amazing trip!  What do you do with all the meat?  That's just an insane amount of fish to process, bring home and store, even for nine people.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Darby

« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2020, 10:24 AM »
It was a crap load of fish.  We gave the crew some swordfish steaks, and a half loin of a Bigeye because they are so good fresh.  We spent 2 evenings skinning the tuna (leave skin on until cook or freeze) and vacuum sealing all the fish in 1-2lb packages.  I gave away probably 40lbs of fish to family & friends, and last Wednesday we put on a spread for the wives and a couple of neighbors: Bigeye tuna rolls, Bigeye Nigiri, Bigeye ginger sushi, grilled swordfish, fried pollack (actually was pretty good), pan seared Mahi, and my favorite, Golden Tilefish ceviche.  That being said, I had 2 shares of fish with my daughter, and froze probably 120lbs.  Luckily I have 2 big freezers, and do several trips to camp in the fall with the guys that love my cooking.  I am "guiding" a moose hunt in October for a friend and his daughter, and can't wait to see their face when I pull out Bigeye sushi in the middle of the Allagash ;D  If anyone has the chance to try Bigeye Tuna, do not turn it down.  In every market and sushi place they sell yellowfin, or import blackfin.  Bigeye is the closet thing to a fatty Bluefin, and the meat tastes like butter.  That's the end of fishing until ice fishing for me, now it's time to shoot tasty critters.

Steve H.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2020, 01:36 PM »
It was a crap load of fish.  We gave the crew some swordfish steaks, and a half loin of a Bigeye because they are so good fresh.  We spent 2 evenings skinning the tuna (leave skin on until cook or freeze) and vacuum sealing all the fish in 1-2lb packages.  I gave away probably 40lbs of fish to family & friends, and last Wednesday we put on a spread for the wives and a couple of neighbors: Bigeye tuna rolls, Bigeye Nigiri, Bigeye ginger sushi, grilled swordfish, fried pollack (actually was pretty good), pan seared Mahi, and my favorite, Golden Tilefish ceviche.  That being said, I had 2 shares of fish with my daughter, and froze probably 120lbs.  Luckily I have 2 big freezers, and do several trips to camp in the fall with the guys that love my cooking.  I am "guiding" a moose hunt in October for a friend and his daughter, and can't wait to see their face when I pull out Bigeye sushi in the middle of the Allagash ;D  If anyone has the chance to try Bigeye Tuna, do not turn it down.  In every market and sushi place they sell yellowfin, or import blackfin.  Bigeye is the closet thing to a fatty Bluefin, and the meat tastes like butter.  That's the end of fishing until ice fishing for me, now it's time to shoot tasty critters.

Wow, you clearly have it down to a science.  Nice work and enjoy your bounty.  Especially up at the Allagash this fall.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Wow! That’s a lot of BIG fish! Congrats on the successful trip.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2020, 08:21 AM »
Great report!  Thanks.  I grew up in eastern Suffolk County, NY about 0:45 from Montauk and still track the reports down there.  Thanks for a good one 8)

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2020, 09:03 PM »
That’s awesome! Sounds like a crazy fishing excursion, and what a haul!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.