FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question  (Read 4350 times)

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
Question
« on: Jul 12, 2018, 10:55 AM »
 If fishing is a sport, which I think we all would agree upon, then would you consider fishermen athletes?   :-\

fishinator

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2018, 11:22 AM »
I don't consider fishing a sport, more of a hobby. If you can be drunk and still do it well, I don't think it's a sport.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2018, 11:47 AM »
I don't consider fishing a sport, more of a hobby. If you can be drunk and still do it well, I don't think it's a sport.

Right but you can also shoot hoops while drunk, bowl while drunk, and drive while drunk. Yet, Basketball, Bowling and Racing ARE all recognized sports. I think the key word that is missing is "professional" because anything that can be considered a sport can also be called a hobby. Ask your self, how serious do you take it and then you will realize what it means for you.

When I fluke fish with my old man or friends its a hobby. When I bass fish for money its a sport.
Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2018, 12:21 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………………………………………………..

:sleep1:

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2018, 12:26 PM »
I love fishing.

It is not a “sport” in the way I think of other “sports”.

Driving a car isn’t either.

Not that they all are not entertaining, but just not a sport.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2018, 12:55 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………………………………………………..

:sleep1:

Yeah Mac, slow day..... ;)

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Yeah Mac, slow day..... ;)

It's all good.

:thumbup_smilie:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Personally I train very hard for fishing. 12 oz curls mostly.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Personally I train very hard for fishing. 12 oz curls mostly.

Rg

girl thingy!

Use a pint.

;D

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Looking at the body types that fish including mine getting that way, I would say NO we are NOT atheletes.

And no that's not ME!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2018, 11:02 AM »

But it looks like that one can pirouette 🤪

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2018, 01:14 PM »
But it looks like that one can pirouette 🤪

;D

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2018, 01:44 PM »

And no that's not ME!

Not me either.

too thin.

;D

Roccus

« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2018, 09:21 PM »
The way I see it is yes...bowling is a sport...they have curling in the Olympics. Seriously..curling.....we get up at all hours of the day and night. ...spend countless dollars on our "sport" to be the best we can be...and just like any "athlete" we have varying degrees of skill .each season is as demanding for the dedicated as any sport...fishing is a sport that can be "played" 365 days a year...we endure injury  and fatigue...we are athletes and fishing is a sport...anyone that thinks fishing is a hobby has never crawled out to the end of a weed covered jetty at 2 am or navigated a 5 knot current in complete darkness while dragging a 4 ounce plug on 200 feet of 80 lb monel wire....or spent 6 hours tight to a 900 lb tuna.or navigated a frozen lake at 14 below zero in complete darkness..make no.mistak fisherman are athletes and fishing is a sport...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2018, 03:04 AM »
The way I see it is yes...bowling is a sport...they have curling in the Olympics. Seriously..curling.....we get up at all hours of the day and night. ...spend countless dollars on our "sport" to be the best we can be...and just like any "athlete" we have varying degrees of skill .each season is as demanding for the dedicated as any sport...fishing is a sport that can be "played" 365 days a year...we endure injury  and fatigue...we are athletes and fishing is a sport...anyone that thinks fishing is a hobby has never crawled out to the end of a weed covered jetty at 2 am or navigated a 5 knot current in complete darkness while dragging a 4 ounce plug on 200 feet of 80 lb monel wire....or spent 6 hours tight to a 900 lb tuna.or navigated a frozen lake at 14 below zero in complete darkness..make no.mistak fisherman are athletes and fishing is a sport...

Well said sir, I am with you. Its 4am and its time to catch some doormats!
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.