FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: PB February  (Read 1723 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
PB February
« on: Mar 01, 2023, 02:16 PM »
2016 had the last February when I didn't have to grind to pick up a Maine open water trout or salmon.  2023 set the new high mark for the month 8)

No, I didn't get into fish every time out.  I started the month with a skunking and then had one other "no sign of life" outing later in the month.  On the first tough trip, this pic clearly shows at least 2 ice skunk monsters barking at me in upper right :laugh:

On the other fishless day, I was confronted by an ice shelf that sagged down into deep water as I tried to transit to better water.  I didn't stick around :o

On all the other outings, it was game on.  Ice was rarely a problem.  Heck, I got to wade in an ice bath that professional ball players would be envious of after a tough game.  I just had to be mindful of any bigger chunks bumping me.

There were plenty of openings to drift a bobber and jig through, with the bobber getting yanked under regularly.

The best action, however, was on warmer days when the water was less slushy and I could cover it better with spoons or retrieved jigs.  On those days, a retrieved lure outfished one suspended under a bobber by 2:1.  I also got into some bigger fish on those days.  I had one 20 fish day, followed by a 10 fish day, both exceeding my prior PB for a February open water outing.  All browns, with the exception of one small brookie, and no salmon.  Maybe this Seeforellen thing is working ;D

We'll see if I can keep the streak going through another March.  The signs are good, but it can be a real fickle month on the edge of spring ;)

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Re: PB February
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2023, 11:14 AM »
Nice pics Jim. Looks like the browns cooperated. Feb was awful warm. I don’t think we’ll be so lucky this month haha. Look forward to your report.

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2023, 07:04 PM »
Thanks, Nick.  I think March will be back to reality.  Won't make much ice, but will likely keep a lot that's already there.

Nice pics Jim. Looks like the browns cooperated. Feb was awful warm. I don’t think we’ll be so lucky this month haha. Look forward to your report.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2023, 09:49 PM »

Out here in my area of the midwest it was the 10th warmest February since records have been kept. The warmest February on record was in 2017.

This January was the warmest since records have been kept.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2023, 09:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jim.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2023, 02:59 PM »
awesome pics/Browns, Jim.  Love the picture of that 2nd-to-last brown trout especially.  Your post reminds me of a 7 or 8 brown trout day I had once manyyy years ago in mid February at you know where (probably).  I Haven't fished in February in years, both ice and open water.. I thought about going once or twice (open water) this winter but for whatever reason didn't.  I am starting to get excited for Spring though! Good luck in March, shouldn't be too too hard.

Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2023, 07:07 PM »
Thanks, Randall.  That pic you point out is my fav also.  I remember that year that you mention, but that spot for the most part is no longer happening.  I never take March lightly.   My first try was a skunking.  Now we 18" of new snow in the yard.  Nobody said it would be easy :laugh:

awesome pics/Browns, Jim.  Love the picture of that 2nd-to-last brown trout especially.  Your post reminds me of a 7 or 8 brown trout day I had once manyyy years ago in mid February at you know where (probably).  I Haven't fished in February in years, both ice and open water.. I thought about going once or twice (open water) this winter but for whatever reason didn't.  I am starting to get excited for Spring though! Good luck in March, shouldn't be too too hard.

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2023, 06:04 AM »
Awesome report, and some awesome fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.