FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Your favored boat trailer coupler locking device?  (Read 2708 times)

taxid

Your favored boat trailer coupler locking device?
« on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:34 PM »
I'm taking about when the boat trailer is NOT hooked up to the vehicle hitch as in when boat and trailer are parked (stored).

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Your favored boat trailer coupler locking device?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:52 PM »
I'm leaning toward this one:

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2020, 07:17 AM »
I just use $9 specials on all my trailers. Even on my 2018 enclosed snowmobile trailer with my $17k turbo charged snowmobile in there. The money is spent on a killer insurance policy instead.

fishinator

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2020, 07:35 AM »
There are so many ways to defeat those locks its not funny. I guess its better than nothing though.
  Just watched a video on the lock you posted a link to. A guy had one open with a drill in 30 seconds. I think it's pretty true when people say locks only keep honest people out.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2020, 08:18 AM »
I dont lock mine.  There's a camera pointing at my boat in the driveway...the alerts wake me up.  If someone wants to see a .223 moving at high speed towards them they are welcome to try to steal my boat.  Most days there's a vehicle in front of it.

Interestingly my truck was gone through last winter when I foolishly left it unlocked.  They left thousands in fly fishing gear alone.  Then apparently went up the street and stole some dudes wallet that was in his car.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2020, 02:13 PM »
There are so many ways to defeat those locks its not funny. I guess its better than nothing though.
  Just watched a video on the lock you posted a link to. A guy had one open with a drill in 30 seconds. I think it's pretty true when people say locks only keep honest people out.

Well isn't that nice of them to show someone how to defeat a lock.

So if I want to steal a trailer with a lock on it all I have to do is find how to defeat it on Youtube?

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:59 AM »
Thank you for your responses gentlemen.

fishinator

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2020, 08:34 AM »
Well isn't that nice of them to show someone how to defeat a lock.

So if I want to steal a trailer with a lock on it all I have to do is find how to defeat it on Youtube?
Unfortunately yes. Tons of videos on bypassing locks. If someone wants to steal your boat, even if they can't get your lock off, all it takes is a chain wrapped around the tongue and attached to the safety chains to pull it away.

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Unfortunately yes. Tons of videos on bypassing locks. If someone wants to steal your boat, even if they can't get your lock off, all it takes is a chain wrapped around the tongue and attached to the safety chains to pull it away.

Exactly.  This is why my boat/ trailer is stored in a locked building! :D

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2020, 02:16 PM »

It might be little more difficult for them with me as I also have a wheel lock to keep one of the wheels from turning. But yeah you're right.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2020, 02:28 PM »
Exactly.  This is why my boat/ trailer is stored in a locked building! :D

Mine used to be in a garage bay but lost out to our new John Deer Tractor/mower/snowblower. That's why I was asking opinions on locks. So the boat lost out.  ;D

My boat is not really that expensive, and the 4 cycle outboard, which is probably worth more than the boat and trailer stays in my taxidermy showroom on a stand along with my kayak for the winter. Same goes for the Spotlock.

I guess I'll just have to make sure my insurance covers it, and I may set up a security camera. I do have a couple of dogs that run out a doggie door onto the deck and raise hell whenever they hear something outside.

Thanks again all for the feedback!

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2020, 05:32 PM »

and yea, you coiuld do brain surgery from youtube!  I have learned way more from the internet than I did in school.  ;D

Tell about it! I picked up my guitar again after a long break and found I can learn how to play just about any song I want to play off of Youtube with 3 or 4 different tutorials. The music and tab is also available. Learning harmonia that way too. Never had that option years ago!

Brain surgery? Everybody knows all you have to do is stay at a Holiday Express one night!

Did you get any snow down your way? We got 3 inches last night and this morning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.