FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 288296 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #1605 on: May 17, 2020, 05:58 PM »
I should have mentioned I didnt go...  ;D
 Lots of people buying plants all weekend. And everything in the greenhouses needed lots of water... 8)
Making up for mothers day week..   ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1606 on: May 17, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Sorry...I'm re-retired. My bride notes what day of the week it is on the marker board in the kitchen so i remember. Not that it matters much. These days I live by the weather more than anything.

Glad you're making up for the crappy Mother's day.

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

mcully

« Reply #1607 on: May 18, 2020, 04:42 AM »
Found materials at Wally World of all places.

More than enough stuff to tie up a batch of harnesses. Ill have to make the sinkers. Didn't see anything small enough. Picked up smoe small worm sinkers. i'll figure something out.

Rg
Did you check ebay? I order lead sinkers of all sizes from really tiny splits to 1.5 ounce slips.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1608 on: May 18, 2020, 06:52 AM »
Actually the worm sinkers should work out well. I took 25 lb mono and different length loops  to attahc the sinked to a sliding snap swivel. Im thinking that i migt want to vary the length of those loops to keep the harness off the bottom but get the bait right down there without getting hung up in weeds and such. First place im going to try these is in the canal.

My guess is that those big perch hanging on the rock banks will love those rigs.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

DANMAN

« Reply #1609 on: May 18, 2020, 08:27 AM »
Took kayaks out on local DEC lake sunday before the storm ...  weeds were coming up finally.   two of use caught 20 pickerel 15 craps 2 perch 3gills one bass.          tossed them all back.
all in 5 feet water or less
storm never arrived went north to canada   

pink 1/16 jigs with chartuse twister tails  fresh 2 lb test

was good to get out

big_guy_13021

« Reply #1610 on: May 18, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Rg glad you can find them gills .the little and myself cant find them any place around here yet.All we find is crappies..little likes catching them but his main meal of fish is bluegills..sooner or later we mite find them..high water here and cold temps is putting a damper on the gills I think

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1611 on: May 19, 2020, 05:48 AM »
Look for the warm  water. They've been within 3 feet of shore in less than 2' of water. for the most part. The last couple days with the east wind they're scattered all over. But that's going to change I think.

Of course I abandoned  bait and went to the fly rod. Don't need to keep any at this point. The freezer is full enough for now.

I'm getting ready to head out and test some new flies I came up with.

Rg

Pequod1

« Reply #1612 on: May 19, 2020, 04:52 PM »
Not quite warm enough for them in the fingerlakes. Very soon though. This warm weather should do it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1613 on: May 19, 2020, 05:00 PM »
Had to go back home and get my waders to fish the canal all this morning. Water came up nicely. Caught a few good gills and the experimental fly worked well.

Looking forward to launching my boat.

Rg

Pequod1

« Reply #1614 on: May 20, 2020, 02:16 PM »
49 deg on Keuka this morning. No perch and only a couple gills cruising near the drops.  Nothing in shallow.  Last year at this time Keuka was 53.  If lakers are considered panfish, I did well, otherwise it was dismal  ::)

gotagetm

« Reply #1615 on: May 20, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Heat is coming P1 will warm it up ,I personally not looking forward to it haha makes my crew miserable! And I'm not a fan of heat

Pequod1

« Reply #1616 on: May 23, 2020, 06:01 AM »
Hit 54-55 and the gills finally arrived.  I was surprised at how fast they moved in with that temp change. I’m a happy guy  ;D

DANMAN

« Reply #1617 on: May 23, 2020, 07:02 AM »
Maybe on shallow Keuka but not Cayuga.   Was out yesterday water cold green   only a few tiny perch in shallows they felt like icecicles in my hand.   

Found some small gills in marina but big lake cold still

56 is crappie spawn temp
63 is gill spawn temp

headed to a farm pond today full of theses

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #1618 on: May 23, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Got some decent gills and few crappie in East bay Wednesday but never thought to take pic of them but here in the gut bucket are what was left...almost 4.5 # fillets.
Not a bad day.

take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

hinkydo

« Reply #1619 on: May 23, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Way to go icejohn

hinkydo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.