FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 286531 times)

TennesseeFreeze

Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #960 on: Apr 21, 2018, 08:41 AM »
Cool read, I see it all to often. Especially on the ice.

seamonkey84

« Reply #961 on: Apr 21, 2018, 08:53 AM »
poachers are a horrible bunch, that is an outrageous amount of fish. Other than doing it commercialy, why would anyone want that much fish in the freezer?
That said, being from Maine, it’s interesting to see the other side. crappie are considered an invasive species that was illegally introduce, same with bluegills.  Even for the native panfish we have, there is no limit on ANY of them excepts on a very few lakes for white perch. Not too many people target panfish here besides kids, or if they do, its usually just through the ice, or they are quiet about it.  I like catching them for fun with light gear or fly rod, I don’t eat fish much so anything that tugs my line is fun for me.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #962 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:16 AM »
"Not too many people target panfish here besides kids, or if they do, its usually just through the ice, or they are quiet about it."

Sounds like the people of Maine are missing out my friend! "or there quite about it". Really, your shamed if you catch crappie and gill in Maine! Just kids fishing for em?!? Ha, I love It. The people of Maine are too good to catch pan fish. I had no idea Ya'll were so special. Noted seamonkey84.

We do agree on poachers being a horrible bunch

fishin4eyes

« Reply #963 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Looking at buying a panfish pole any recommendations? Med/light rod probably. Unfortunately probably going to have to be a walleye/panfish pole

SWaMP ThInG

« Reply #964 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Invasive species...  ;D ;D that's somethin.. round here we get up all hours of the night or fish em all day into the night. I'd come to maine n clear em out for u guys no problem!

I fished in 26° for these this a.m 🎣🎣

big_guy_13021

« Reply #965 on: Apr 21, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Invasive species...  ;D ;D that's somethin.. round here we get up all hours of the night or fish em all day into the night. I'd come to maine n clear em out for u guys no problem!

I fished in 26° for these this a.m 🎣🎣
....count me in Mr..rent a u haul..lmao

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #966 on: Apr 21, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Rent a U Haul and a Bus!  People of Maine...fear not... real fisherman are coming to save you!  Just don't look the Crappie directly in the eye and ya"ll will be fine!

fishin4eyes

« Reply #967 on: Apr 21, 2018, 10:36 AM »
I'm in. Give us a list of lakes and we ll take it from there

seamonkey84

« Reply #968 on: Apr 21, 2018, 11:24 AM »
There are a few people that put up a pile of slabs on our board, but most of the attention is toward the brook trout and land locked salmon, native or stocked. A lot of waters also stocked with rainbows and brown trout too.  The northern half of the state removed the size and bag limit on bass (introduced, by the state and spread illegally) to discourage their spread into prime cold water fisheries.
To some from other states, Maine may sound like it doesn’t have much to fish for since there’s also no walleye. But our natives are gems.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

skinny40

« Reply #969 on: Apr 21, 2018, 02:56 PM »
Im sure there are a lot of "quiet" folks in Maine that would get pretty loud if they seen a bunch of New Yorkers taking buckets
of slabs

filetandrelease

« Reply #970 on: Apr 21, 2018, 03:49 PM »

Maine folks don’t like yellow perch either

seamonkey84

« Reply #971 on: Apr 21, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Im sure there are a lot of "quiet" folks in Maine that would get pretty loud if they seen a bunch of New Yorkers taking buckets
of slabs
I wouldn’t doubt it lol. It’s kind of a in the background fishery people are enjoying.  Now if you’re pulling white or yellow perch, I think there’s more than a few people that would point you to the lakes that need thinning.
Maine folks don’t like yellow perch either

It’s because they are often filled with yellow grubs. They’re ok in some places but you have to be picky with most lakes. We know they’re safe to eat, but it’s unsightly. The crappies and white perch have some people targeting them for the table, but mostly through the ice. Northern pike are also an introduced invasive  :P

Enough about how weird we are up here, let’s just call it different regional tastes.
But let’s just say, being an invasive species, they have done very well in our waters, and it’s guilt free fillets. I’ve made a mess in my friends boat when we found a school of them, basically kept every one we caught and decided to stop a little after 20 or so.

My PB bluegill, 9.5in on a 2.5in gulp minnow

Tie PB 15” crappies, one on fly rod

One on jig

eyehi

« Reply #972 on: Apr 21, 2018, 11:37 PM »
Tried 3 spots today did not have a bite ... Back at it tomorrow ...
Budweiser pro staff

fishin4eyes

« Reply #973 on: Apr 22, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Checked 3 spots today still locked up. 1 more week

eyehi

« Reply #974 on: Apr 22, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Another rough morning ... We kept a dozen the boat next to us nailed the perch .... Trying another spot tomorrow after work ....
Budweiser pro staff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.