FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 286598 times)

skells23

Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #1380 on: Apr 25, 2019, 05:19 PM »
God bless it swamp thing I wish i had a spot to get crappies like you.. You crush them or are you just that good?

Pequod1

« Reply #1381 on: Apr 25, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Lucky and good. I taught him everything he doesn’t know😁😁😁

SWaMP ThInG

« Reply #1382 on: Apr 25, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Skells I spend a lot of time on the water and the craps are my favorite fish to pursue.. I dedicate a majority of my free time to trying to figure them out. We are very confident when we hit a lake and that always helps keep focused. We hit one lake this morn cruised around check 15-20 spots checked water temp, clarity, weed beds, drop offs. Picked up a few fish but wasn't satisfied with results so we trailered up n hit another lake. All about persistence. This is our drug and we sure are addicted 🎣🎣

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #1383 on: Apr 25, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Rudd are an invasive that are present in large numbers in Seneca and other lakes including the Great Lakes. Similar, but not to be confused with the native Golden Shiner.

Rudd.

Golden shiner

Rudd are native to the Baltic countries . I'm not really sure how they got here, but most likely they were brought over as a food source. I'll say one thing though, they're a ball on the flyrod.

Rg

I met a guy there at Seneca lake that sold his to the Chinese restaurant in Newark...that's all I caught that day
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1384 on: Apr 26, 2019, 04:41 AM »
I met a guy there at Seneca lake that sold his to the Chinese restaurant in Newark...that's all I caught that day
Places i won't be stopping at for lunch for $1000, Alex.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1385 on: Apr 26, 2019, 05:58 AM »
Rudd is an invasive fish native to Europe that has been found in scattered locations in the lower Great Lakes. A member of the minnow family, the fish was introduced to the United States in the early 1900s, likely through the bait trade. Rudd are often found in waters that are still or slowly moving with thick vegetation. They can adapt to a wide range of freshwater habitats and can tolerate poor water quality. Adult rudd eat both aquatic plants and insects, while young rudd feed on algae and small invertebrates such as snails, insects and worms

Range

Rudd were first found in Ontario in 1990 in the St. Lawrence River. Since then the fish has been found in a few scattered locations in the St. Lawrence. In 1997 rudd were discovered in western Lake Ontario and eastern Lake Erie. Outside its native range, the rudd has also been introduced to more than 20 American states.

Impacts of Rudd

More research is needed to determine the impacts of rudd on native species in North America. However, scientists are concerned about the long-term effects of the rudd’s breeding habits and diet.
•Rudd are able to breed with the native golden shiner, an important baitfish. The offspring are hybrids, which could lead to a loss of genetic diversity in the population of golden shiners.
•Young rudd compete with native species for habitat and food, such as algae and small invertebrates.
•Adult rudd can eat large amounts of aquatic plants along shorelines, which can degrade spawning and nursery habitat for native fish such as northern pike, muskellunge and yellow perch.

To prevent this unwanted invader from expanding its range in Ontario, the province has banned the possession and sale of live rudd and other invasive fish species.

found this interesting
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1386 on: Apr 26, 2019, 04:55 PM »
A good old friend gave me a hot tip today. Picked up 20 nice perch in an hour or so.

Now that's networking.....the way I know it.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1387 on: Apr 26, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Caught 3 huge Rudd a few days ago.  Largest was over 2 lbs.  They all got a knife thru the brain.  Last fall did same.  Mature bald eagle sitting in a tree nearby.  Tossed one in, floated a ways away from the boat and it plucked it right off the surface.  Made my day.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1388 on: Apr 26, 2019, 07:36 PM »
That's all well and good, but it's not gonna change anything. I don't kill them. They don't seem to be a problem other than when I'm trying to find early gills.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1389 on: Apr 27, 2019, 06:10 AM »
To each his own Rg. What proof do you you have that they are not negatively affecting the water quality or the food chain?  They’re an exotic and don’t belong in our waterways.  Just like European or Asian carp, both of which are devestating to aquatic ecosystems.  Bow fishermen are an anglers best friend.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1390 on: Apr 27, 2019, 06:14 AM »
“Lab studies have shown that rudd hybridize with the golden shiner, which is a primary forage species for many game fish. If introduced, rudd will hybridize with golden shiners with unknown consequences to wild populations of native species. Besides hybridization, the rudd can be expected to compete with native fish for food. Being omnivorous, the rudd can changes its diet from insects and minnows to plants, unlike most native fishes. Rudd can negatively affect the inland waters it inhabits by: increasing the nutrient loading due to its inefficient means of processing plant material; depleting aquatic vegetation and potentially reducing the reproductive success of native fish species using near-shore areas for spawning and nursery sites; competing with native fish species for food and habitat in juvenile stages; and disrupting established predator prey relationships.”

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1391 on: Apr 27, 2019, 06:49 AM »
“Lab studies have shown that rudd hybridize with the golden shiner, which is a primary forage species for many game fish. If introduced, rudd will hybridize with golden shiners with unknown consequences to wild populations of native species. Besides hybridization, the rudd can be expected to compete with native fish for food. Being omnivorous, the rudd can changes its diet from insects and minnows to plants, unlike most native fishes. Rudd can negatively affect the inland waters it inhabits by: increasing the nutrient loading due to its inefficient means of processing plant material; depleting aquatic vegetation and potentially reducing the reproductive success of native fish species using near-shore areas for spawning and nursery sites; competing with native fish species for food and habitat in juvenile stages; and disrupting established predator prey relationships.”
  Last week they changed their diet to chicken livers.  I suspect most of what I identify as rudd are hybrids.  The true rudd seem to be the more brightly colored specimens.  Killing a few is a feel good move and will never be of any significance in the balance of nature.  Feed the birds, turtles, predator fish, and free up a bit of space for a few more.  Quicker to toss them back and get on to catching another.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1392 on: Apr 27, 2019, 10:26 AM »
To each his own Rg. What proof do you you have that they are not negatively affecting the water quality or the food chain?  They’re an exotic and don’t belong in our waterways.  Just like European or Asian carp, both of which are devestating to aquatic ecosystems.  Bow fishermen are an anglers best friend.

I don't have any proof one way or the other. What I do know for sure is no single angler can reduce the population an invasive in a lake the size of Seneca or Ontario. I'm also not sure it's legal to kill a fish and toss it back whether it's considered an invasive or not.

I don't kill them...or carp either. Rather, I enjoy catching them sometimes. But as you said, to,each his own.

Rg

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1393 on: Apr 27, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Size....so, some exotics are fine and should just be left alone?  Tell the US gov that, along with several midwestern states, as they spend millions and millions of dollars to control the spread of Asian carp into the Great Lakes.  Or, is that somehow a horse of a different color?  Your logic of killing one to free up space for a couple more biologically makes no sense at all.  There was no space before they arrived.  They displaced other species.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #1394 on: Apr 27, 2019, 05:16 PM »
The invasive fish I hate is the gobie..I never throw them back in they are a pain in the butt..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.