FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 286531 times)

greensider

Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #1395 on: Apr 27, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Remember most gamefish are invasive very few of them are native

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1396 on: Apr 27, 2019, 06:53 PM »
that's not true at all small mouth large mouth walleye northeren pickerel  sturgeon lake trout brookies  rainbows cut throats musky coho Chinook chum red and pink salmon alantic salmon  apache trout grayling steelhead all north American natives and the list goes on
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #1397 on: Apr 27, 2019, 07:07 PM »
a invasive spieces that has helped us .....the zebra mussel and Onondaga lake ..... I don't think we will be able to get rid of the rud it's been here along time and is well established now as far as common carp are concerned I think they are here to stay ....I think there is a difference between a  invited fish from a invasive one

greensider

« Reply #1398 on: Apr 28, 2019, 04:45 AM »
Smallies were brought in by tail car at least that's what i tead in an old field and stream magazine

trapper2000

« Reply #1399 on: Apr 28, 2019, 05:28 AM »
small mouth bass are a  native  north American fish

stocking does not make them invasive

The smallmouth bass is native to the upper and middle Mississippi River basin, the Saint Lawrence River–Great Lakes system, and up into the Hudson Bay basin. Its common names include smallmouth, bronzeback, brown bass, brownie, smallie, bronze bass, and bareback bass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallmouth_bass

bbfrogger

« Reply #1400 on: Apr 28, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Darn facts are getting in the way again.   ::)

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1401 on: Apr 28, 2019, 06:51 AM »
Size....so, some exotics are fine and should just be left alone?  Tell the US gov that, along with several midwestern states, as they spend millions and millions of dollars to control the spread of Asian carp into the Great Lakes.  Or, is that somehow a horse of a different color?  Your logic of killing one to free up space for a couple more biologically makes no sense at all.  There was no space before they arrived.  They displaced other species.
I'm saying some schmuck like me killing a few in waters they already are thriving in does nothing but make the schmuck feel better about it.  Not like he's taking out the last of the breed.  A bit different than a widespread, well funded effort to keep the Asian carp out of water they currently don't exist in.  Once they breech that gap (and they will), it'll be pointless there too.  They all find their niche and become predator and/or prey.  I fail to see where I have any control over that.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

trapper2000

« Reply #1402 on: Apr 28, 2019, 07:04 AM »
I like both you fellas but I think you both have good points  and  some  bad points  .....I fish in a lake  where  the DEC  post signs to kill all white  perch caught!  we live in a state  where the  DEC not only says  kill every goby  but it's  illegal to release them or  use them for  bait ....can fisherman make a  difference on a  fishes  population???? if  we  couldn't  we wouldn't have seasons and limits .... are  all invasive  fish bad  .....I  don't think so , ....carp are fun and i would love to catch a peacock bass in florida ,although I'm not sure they are considered  invasive seeing  we introduced them .....can we stop  all invasive fish ? probably not .should we try? i think so .... I personally am more worried about the southern border then a rudd ,just saying

big_guy_13021

« Reply #1403 on: Apr 28, 2019, 07:10 AM »
Soooo.hows the panfish bite

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1404 on: Apr 28, 2019, 07:12 AM »
I was watching an episode of River Monsters the other day regarding the Asian carp in the Mississippi. Seems they took over in waters which were in general not very healthy. Sections of the river where water conditions and fish populations were better did not support their spread. The biologist he was touring with said that concentrating on improving water quality was equally as important as mass removal of the specie from infested waters. Made a lot of sense to me and was supported by in depth research.

Nature has its way of leveling things out. It has for millions of years.

Rudd, like carp are able to exploit poor water conditions. I couldn't find any studies that depicted them as any kind of serious threat. I'm a person who likes facts more than opinions.

I'm always puzzled by people who say they hate a particular specie of fish and kills them just because. One hates pickerel, another carp, another rock bass......etc...etc.I guess I'm just not a good hater. Or, maybe it's that I'm 69 years old, have fished all my life and realize I may only have a couple more decades to fish on this earth.

So, I like them all!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1405 on: Apr 28, 2019, 07:14 AM »
Soooo.hows the panfish bite

I have a sink full of perch to clean👍👍

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #1406 on: Apr 28, 2019, 07:22 AM »

Rudd, like carp are able to exploit poor water conditions. I couldn't find any studies that depicted them as any kind of serious threat. I'm a person who likes facts more than opinions.

I'm always puzzled by people who say they hate a particular specie of fish and kills them just because. One hates pickerel, another carp, another rock bass......etc...etc.I guess I'm just not a good hater. Or, maybe it's that I'm 69 years old, have fished all my life and realize I may only have a couple more decades to fish on this earth.

So, I like them all!

Rg

I kill all the rock bass I can too and   then to make sure they are dead I toss them in hot grease  ;D  carp are fun ......but I have to admit when I see a pickerel on the ice ....I don't lose that much sleep over it (but they do taste good) and people  fish for them in place theres no northerns
couple  decades  hmmmmmm ....I hope so  RG  I would  be  bored if I didn't have you to pesture  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1407 on: Apr 28, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Apple blossom time =Rock Bass for dinner.

I couldn't find anything in the DEC Regs that requires dispatching a goby or prohibits returning it to the water.

Definitely cannot be used for bait, dead or alive and possession is prohibited.

Rg

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1408 on: Apr 28, 2019, 07:30 AM »
In the end, the bottom line is: 
Nature has its way of leveling things out. It has for millions of years.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1409 on: Apr 28, 2019, 07:35 AM »
Apple blossom time =Rock Bass for dinner.

I couldn't find anything in the DEC Regs that requires dispatching a goby or prohibits returning it to the water.

Definitely cannot be used for bait, dead or alive and possession is prohibited.

Rg
First time targeting them last year on Sodus.  Had a blast and looking forward to getting up there again soon. 

I looked too and found the same. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.