FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 286654 times)

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #1725 on: Aug 22, 2020, 02:49 PM »
Nice! Trolling?

Ive been using the little worm harnesses slow trolling on the canal. The bigger perch love them. Only snagged one rig in many days of fishing. One day I drifted right down the middle trailing the harness and caught just about everything there is in the canal. Perch, gills, bass even a pike.

Rg
No, these were stacked where we left them last time. 20 ft. down over 35 fow.   Ice jigs and Makiplastics straight down with 24" Ice Blue rods.....lol  Great fun, easiest fishing ever.  Three old timers cackling like kids for four hours.....lol   Glad you're having success with them.  I trolled the weed edge on Canadice last week in the heat of the day and caught LMB, SMB, pykruls, crappie, perch and gills.  Not much size but it was fun.  Often had two rods doubled up when I ran over a few fish.  Mostly was trying the portable downrigger I wanted to try for the lakers.....  Only had one release in two hours so I decided to drag the weeds for pannies instead.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Pequod1

« Reply #1726 on: Aug 22, 2020, 04:29 PM »
You have that gill fishing nailed. I am impressed ,nice work.  I went back to Owasco today licking my wounds from the other day on Erie. As always, fish we’re smarter than me and we’re not where I left them last week in 30’.  Took me a few hrs to find them in just 2’ just before the weeds.  Nice easy fishing when I found the pattern.  They really love tiny crayfish but I did manage a bunch on plastics.  Over all a good day.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #1727 on: Aug 22, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Haven't done much lately...couple times to obeida limiting out on eyes...catching few perch an sunniest too along with pickerel....then wed took two of my granddaughters hoping to get in the panfish on Cayuga in deep water but they weren't there yet just caught plenty of tiny pwdch with a few keepers...they still had a good time...so did I. BTW...rg what were the bobbers you were making, never heard of them...I like bobber fishing.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1728 on: Aug 23, 2020, 05:05 AM »
Did a few of these as an experiment.

This is going to be one of my winter turning projects. I picked up a big bag of high quality corks a while ago and my Son (the artist) is helping me with what paints to use. I’ve fished with them and they work quite well. It’ll be a good way to kill the deep winter months.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

icejohn

« Reply #1729 on: Aug 23, 2020, 10:17 AM »
The look awesome Bob...those strictly slip bobbers?,..either way look great.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1730 on: Aug 23, 2020, 01:39 PM »
The look awesome Bob...those strictly slip bobbers?,..either way look great.

Well, you can use them as slip bobbers or just do a clove hitch by feeding the line through the eye and  over the bobber. I tried a different method that I use with strike indicators on my fly leaders. Used a piece of old fly line and tied above and below with a bobber stop knot (nail knot). Worked pretty darned good too. Adjustable.

I’m going to play a lot with shapes and lengths. The longer one lays flat and stands with a bite. The shorter ones just disappear.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

icejohn

« Reply #1731 on: Aug 23, 2020, 11:12 PM »
Very cool...I have all kinds myself some even look similar....but would love to try to build some myself....super job Bob.

icejohn

« Reply #1732 on: Aug 23, 2020, 11:22 PM »
Had a good day for gills today...2 1/2hrs got 84 big gills for 2 of us.....plenty of 9 1/2" gills few just under 10" nothing under 8"...25-30 flow.
Can't seem to add pic with my new phone..Samsung a10e
Any suggestions?
Sent pic to the google photo app and added it with my old phone...voila!

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #1733 on: Aug 24, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Had a good day for gills today...2 1/2hrs got 84 big gills for 2 of us.....plenty of 9 1/2" gills few just under 10" nothing under 8"...25-30 flow.
Any suggestions?

I have to use Safari to load pictures. Won’t work in Google anymore. Perhaps you are having the same issue?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1734 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Played with the gills from shore on the canal this morning. Couldn’t get them to take a fly so I opted for some redworms and an ice jig. Lost count of how many I released. Lots of fun on the 2wt spinning rod i built.

Rg

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1735 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09:57 AM »
Any suggestions?
NICE!
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Pequod1

« Reply #1736 on: Aug 24, 2020, 11:34 AM »
Beautiful. Nice and cold too.

mcully

« Reply #1737 on: Aug 25, 2020, 06:28 AM »
had some trolling rods with size 0 dipsys on them and as a goof trolled J7 rapalas on a finger lake yesterday for a few hours. Big sunnies, rock bass, perch, smallmouth and even a trout cruising 2.0 mph with the electric over 30-35' of water. Rods were firing constantly and I marked the spots I picked up multiple keeper perch for later more thorough fishing. Lots of fun and would be great with kids or not very good fishing partners.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1738 on: Aug 25, 2020, 07:42 AM »
That sounds like a ton of fun. Fishing seems to be turning back on again. Water is cooling a bit and they’re getting really active. I hammered some big gills on the canal this morning early. They shut down when the sun got up around 8:00.

Had a largemouth try to grab a small gill I was reeling in. Had him on for a couple minutes. Might take a heavier rod with me tomorrow morning and put one out on a bobber rig to see what happens.

Rg

Pequod1

« Reply #1739 on: Aug 29, 2020, 07:08 AM »
DEC has a survey out about sunfish. I think they mean bluegills and sunfish together for the survey.  You can also find the results of the Oneida lake walleye survey here.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/29be970

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.