FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 286614 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #1755 on: Sep 04, 2020, 08:10 AM »
limits  ...interesting subject  ,little proof that limits  increase  a waters  fish population and lots of speculation that a limit promotes  smaller fish ....i'm not sure of either ,but i do know  limits don't hurt retired folks tat fish  when ever they want ,we are free to go get a limit and dinner when ever we want.however, that can't be said of the working man  .so lets just say we now have a limit of 50 bluegills  and they redouce it to 20...... i'm going today and tomorrow and the next day so in a week i'll take  140 bluegills  thats good  but  what about that younger working guy???? at 50 he goes once he gets 50 (hopefully)and he probablly has a family  ..... well it's a meal but lower that limit  he isn't going to get that meal  ...we start counting the numers of fisher and hunters it's not hard to see our numbers dropping......we don't need increased limits  we need more sportsman enjoying the out doors...i personally oppose ant further limits on panfish ,no reason for it ...let people enjoy the resource  ,catching fish and harvesting a good meal for the family
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishinator

« Reply #1756 on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:37 AM »
limits  ...interesting subject  ,little proof that limits  increase  a waters  fish population and lots of speculation that a limit promotes  smaller fish ....i'm not sure of either ,but i do know  limits don't hurt retired folks tat fish  when ever they want ,we are free to go get a limit and dinner when ever we want.however, that can't be said of the working man  .so lets just say we now have a limit of 50 bluegills  and they redouce it to 20...... i'm going today and tomorrow and the next day so in a week i'll take  140 bluegills  thats good  but  what about that younger working guy???? at 50 he goes once he gets 50 (hopefully)and he probablly has a family  ..... well it's a meal but lower that limit  he isn't going to get that meal  ...we start counting the numers of fisher and hunters it's not hard to see our numbers dropping......we don't need increased limits  we need more sportsman enjoying the out doors...i personally oppose ant further limits on panfish ,no reason for it ...let people enjoy the resource  ,catching fish and harvesting a good meal for the family

I have always said the same about limits. Working guy with limited time to fish versus a retired guy that fishes daily.
   As far as limits not making a difference,  I'm not so sure. We have one lake here in indiana that has a 25 panfish limit (crappie, gills and redear combined) and it by far has some of the best quality panfish in the state.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #1757 on: Sep 04, 2020, 12:38 PM »

I have always said the same about limits. Working guy with limited time to fish versus a retired guy that fishes daily.
   As far as limits not making a difference,  I'm not so sure. We have one lake here in indiana that has a 25 panfish limit (crappie, gills and redear combined) and it by far has some of the best quality panfish in the state.

I know a pond that has the best pan fishing in nys and I can fill a bucket of crappie I'm 45 minutes in the fall everyday and never put a hurting on them

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #1758 on: Sep 04, 2020, 05:20 PM »
I know a pond that has the best pan fishing in nys and I can fill a bucket of crappie I'm 45 minutes in the fall everyday and never put a hurting on them
I know a pond that got over fished for crappie one year when it had only good ice around...they put a BIG hurting on them...it took over 6yrs to recover and still isn't where it used to be....just sayin
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

trapper2000

« Reply #1759 on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:54 PM »
over harvest  and limits are  2  different things   and  limits   for  specific  waters  is  different then  state  wide limits

icejohn

« Reply #1760 on: Sep 05, 2020, 11:35 AM »
over harvest  and limits are  2  different things   and  limits   for  specific  waters  is  different then  state  wide limits
Not really trapp...in my case with keeping full limits by more than normal fishing pressure did cause over harvesting for this particular body of water...this body of water has same limits as state regs. If they did have diff limits here it would have helped both crappie and bigger gills....which did hurry the gill population as well... Just my 2 cents.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

trapper2000

« Reply #1761 on: Sep 06, 2020, 05:52 AM »
john ya didn't understand  ...special regulations on certain waters is understandable!  but to save sodus pond you don't wwant to cut the bluefill or crappie limit to 15  in fair haven do you???? of course not that would be stupid  ...... now use your heads were talking panfish  ...you start making limits where a working man isn't going to get dinner he'll find another hobby real fast ......if i could only keep 15 bluegills  i wouldn't be going  be a waste of time ...we already have lost half the hunters in this state ,start losing  fisherman  there goes  stocking ,improved waters, easements ,law enforcement,and the list goes on.......leave the limits alone ,let people keep a good dinner when they want,  were talking BLUEGILLS  for Gods sakes not  endangered spieces ...... if limits work so well why does every one  run to chaumont bay for perch or jefferson county for gills????

icejohn

« Reply #1762 on: Sep 06, 2020, 07:46 AM »
Yea I understand....really I just hate seeing a body of water suffer because of over harvesting...(legally) myself I rarely keep my limit of panfish.. Usually 20-30 gills/sunnies or about 10 crappie unless in a crappie lake like black lake... .but you really are right my friend.

fishinator

« Reply #1763 on: Sep 06, 2020, 07:52 AM »
To be effective each body of water needs to be studied. Some would benefit from limit, others would suffer. Unfortunately there isn't funding or manpower for that. At least not around here.

trapper2000

« Reply #1764 on: Sep 06, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Yea I understand....really I just hate seeing a body of water suffer because of over harvesting...(legally) myself I rarely keep my limit of panfish.. Usually 20-30 gills/sunnies or about 10 crappie unless in a crappie lake like black lake... .but you really are right my friend.

but john you fish  10 x  more then the average  guy so  your 20 to 30 fish  become 200 to 300  and the working guy goes once and if he's lucky maybe gets a limit ......another thing  ...us old farts fish more know the water better and  without  bragging  most of us are  pretty good fisherman.....lomots won't change  our takes  to will only hurt the weekend warrior ....and  selling fish is about non existance now ,i say leave things alone

icejohn

« Reply #1765 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:00 PM »
Touché trapp!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1766 on: Sep 11, 2020, 02:44 AM »
Took advantage of the last of shorts and sandals weather coupled with back to school week to spend a full morning unmolested by jet skis on the bluegill hole.  Still stacked over deep water, not aggressive at all.  Being a solo trip, took me two hours to put a couple dozen on ice for my neighbor by working hair jigs ice fishing style.  Cookie cutter fish, none less than 8", none over 9 1/2".  Got bored with that and drifted deep weed edges casting ice jigs/Makiplastics for an hour.  Finished the morning dragging the worm harness around some other areas previously left to the pleasure boaters.  Pretty much non-stop catching all morning as long as I stayed in 15+ fow.  Love this time of year.  Too many decisions on where to go, what to fish for, and still have to get ready for bow season..........
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1767 on: Sep 11, 2020, 04:41 AM »
I fished the canal yesterday and the bite was way off as well. Only 2 perch and a handful of gills. Nothing worth keeping really. Lots of weeds floating and a ton of debris from the weekend and  all the big boats cruising with 4’ wakes.

I’ll try some shore fishing today.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

joefish1

« Reply #1768 on: Sep 11, 2020, 06:02 AM »
but john you fish  10 x  more then the average  guy so  your 20 to 30 fish  become 200 to 300  and the working guy goes once and if he's lucky maybe gets a limit ......another thing  ...us old farts fish more know the water better and  without  bragging  most of us are  pretty good fisherman.....lomots won't change  our takes  to will only hurt the weekend warrior ....and  selling fish is about non existance now ,i say leave things alone
   Good Call Trapper

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1769 on: Sep 11, 2020, 06:56 AM »
DEC won't leave it be.  In my mind, offering a survey to the public indicates they've made up their collective minds and are going thru the motions to initiate the plan regardless of the survey results. 
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.