FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56453 times)

fishgalore

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #257 on: Oct 09, 2012, 08:45 PM »
this   is  a  observation  that  i  witnessed  year  after  year      i  have  noticed   that  in  the  fall  when  the  first  steelers  start  showing  up   that  i  see   lots  of  them  hanging  tight  to  shore ,  not  sure  why  but  just  something  i  have  noticed  later  on   they  are    out  aways  .....  any  one  ever  catch  a  steelie  on  a  dry  fly  in  the  east?
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishgalore

« Reply #258 on: Oct 09, 2012, 09:35 PM »
this   is  a  observation  that  i  witnessed  year  after  year      i  have  noticed   that  in  the  fall  when  the  first  steelers  start  showing  up   that  i  see   lots  of  them  hanging  tight  to  shore ,  not  sure  why  but  just  something  i  have  noticed  later  on   they  are    out  aways  .....  any  one  ever  catch  a  steelie  on  a  dry  fly  in  the  east?

YES! Trapper I have no experience on this matter but a google yielded this:- http://www.pasteelhead.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1326662
http://www.fisherie.com/LibraryArticles/Erie_Steelhead_on_a_Dry_Fly.aspx

http://www.johnnagysteelheadguide.com/2009/08/dos-and-donts-of-fall-steelheading.html

trapper2000

« Reply #259 on: Oct 10, 2012, 10:15 AM »
interesting!!!! i  have  often  wondered  are  the  steelhead  i'm  watch   near  the  shore  line  in  the  shallows   looking  for  easy  eggs  for  dinner  or  a  nymph   but .....  late  sept   early   oct   still  has  a  lot  of  hoopers  bee's  and  beetles   to  be  had  .........  i  don't  know  and  this  could  all  be  wishful  thinking  but    from  what  i  have  seen  ....  it  looks  like  rainbows  setting  up  in  feeding  lanes  ,,,admittly  i  have  not  seen  them  rise  to  anything  and   other  then  in  a  few  tribs   it  isn't  long  till a  salmon  fisherman  passes  by  scarying  them  back  to  the  deep

rickswny

« Reply #260 on: Oct 10, 2012, 05:12 PM »
I catch steelhead fly fishing a mouse fly on the surface.

fishgalore

« Reply #261 on: Oct 10, 2012, 05:26 PM »
I catch steelhead fly fishing a mouse fly on the surface.

Thats pretty cool stuff. I was fly fishing a blue ribbon stream in NJ about 4-6 weeks ago and while fishing I heard something hit the water about 25' feet from me. When I looked it was a mouse that fell out of a tree. It swam about 20' to shore. It was late afternoon. My brother & I have discussed many times that the Browns likely feed on such stuff at night. We want to try it one day as you can fish overnight here unlike up there. I'd bet the bigger bows & or Brookies might do the same.

choo choo

« Reply #262 on: Oct 10, 2012, 07:39 PM »
this   is  a  observation  that  i  witnessed  year  after  year      i  have  noticed   that  in  the  fall  when  the  first  steelers  start  showing  up   that  i  see   lots  of  them  hanging  tight  to  shore ,  not  sure  why  but  just  something  i  have  noticed  later  on   they  are    out  aways  .....  any  one  ever  catch  a  steelie  on  a  dry  fly  in  the  east?
hey trap.. and fg...i have never caught an adult steelie on a dry, but i know afew guy's who have. Steel head definately love bugs / insects , and often are seen eating bugs on the surface out in the big lake along thermal breaks and scum/debris lines. The guys i know who havee caught them on top in the tribs were catching dropbacks, in late april, early may.
I'm fishing my way through life .

dmntd169

« Reply #263 on: Oct 11, 2012, 07:56 AM »
cant say I've ever got any on dries but never fished them either. Have had them come up and swipe at strike indicators though
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

trapper2000

« Reply #264 on: Oct 11, 2012, 07:49 PM »
i  caught   trout   on   mice   before !  

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #265 on: Oct 12, 2012, 04:00 PM »

That looks like an OC Tuttle imitation to me.... ;D    Made in Old Forge years ago....   I have a small collection of them...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishgalore

« Reply #266 on: Oct 12, 2012, 07:21 PM »

I'll be fishing for things that need about 100 mice to fill their belly tomorrow on the Big D. Hope we can get into the monster predator terminators. Can you say Bulldawgs and Bucktails?!!

trapper2000

« Reply #267 on: Oct 13, 2012, 07:29 AM »

That looks like an OC Tuttle imitation to me.... ;D    Made in Old Forge years ago....   I have a small collection of them...

nope  thats  a  trapper   deer  hair  mouse   and  if  ya   want  a  few   send  me  your  address    ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.