FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My new (Florida) boat.  (Read 13080 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: My new (Florida) boat.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2022, 03:40 PM »
Very nice..👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2022, 04:32 PM »
Covered up and put away in our storage slot here at the park until probably after the holidays.  Too much going on in the next few weeks, with people visiting, the cruise, etc.
That cover was a royal PITA to put on.
I'll probably have a new one made that's easier to install.
This will work for now.

Mac Attack

« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2022, 04:43 PM »
The Hook 7

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2022, 04:54 AM »
Congrats on Donna's new pontoon, I am sure YOU will enjoy it....h2l

taxid

« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2022, 05:39 AM »
The Hook 7

That's a much nicer trailer than you see used for pontoons around here, but then they just put them in once a year and take them out once a year to the lake cottage.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2022, 08:14 AM »
That's a much nicer trailer than you see used for pontoons around here, but them they just put them in once a year and take them out once a year to the lake cottage.

Yea, but there aren't any brakes.
I'll be launching close to home the majority of the time, however.
It tows very well.
I hate the small diameter (snowmobile) trailer tires though.
Small diameter tires are rough on wheel bearings.
That combined with constant dunking in salt water every time I launch and retrieve will require that I stay on top of them.
They have bearing buddies, but I'm not a big fan of them.
There are far better axle solutions for boat trailers.
But I'm not going to convert two axles on this boat trailer.
No more long trips towing a boat.

BTW, I posted the Hook pics for someone here on MFF.
He is purchasing it - so it is sold.

Mac Attack

« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2022, 09:55 PM »
A few weeks ago I picked up an HDS10 Gen2 for only $300.  Great score!
Today I drove to Okeechobee t for another deal.
I picked up an HDS8 Gen2, LSS2 sidescan and bottoms can transducer, and a StructureScanHD module.  Included the power cord and mount and screen protector for the HDS.  $345
Ill Ethernet and NMEA2000 connect the two units.
Very similar setup to the one on my Trophy, but one’s a 10 and now I get downscan and sidescan.  Both beneficial down here in the shallower water vs the deep water walleye and trout/salmon trolling we did with the Trophy.
Tomorrow I promised to help a neighbor assemble a Rubbermaid trash can can storage bin.  Afterwards, the boat comes out off the storage lot and up to the house and I’ll begin installation of the new electronics.  But first I’ll remove the existing setup.
I have my Terrova and mount for it.  Those need installing.
The LiFePo4 battery arrived in Long Beach on 12/21.  It takes about 10-14 days for containers to be offloaded and unpacked and UPS to get that battery on its way to me.  I should see it in about 2 weeks hopefully.

Mac Attack

« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2022, 03:37 PM »
Worked on things a lot yesterday and only a little today.
Got the old sounder and transducer off and shipped to its new owner yesterday.
Today I laid out transducer cables for both of them.
The LSS2 cable is long enough but the 83/200 skimmer isn't.
So, I quickly ordered a 12' extension cable.
I will mount the transducers tomorrow but only run the cables under the boat as far as the skimmer cable will go.
I want to pull them thru the floor and under the dash together after the cable extension gets here.
I will also mount the head units and StructureScan module tomorrow and get things ready at that end.
I hooked up my on-board battery charger to the one battery so as to make sure that battery is fully charged.
I have a 2 battery disconnect switch I will mount tomorrow too.
I want to install a second battery but there isn't room in the cubby where the primary battery is located.
I'll figure something out.
Maybe Monday I'll get that Terrova mounted up front this week too.
The lithium battery I ordered for it from China is due the Monday after next.
Work work work.
 8)

Mac Attack

« Reply #38 on: Jan 01, 2023, 01:50 PM »
I got a late start on things today but was able to install both transducers and ran the cables forward and anchored with wire ties.  I got them close to the floor feedthru and ready for that one cable extension I ordered.
It’s only 82 but the humidity is really high at 81%.  Between that and last nights alcohol I worked up a healthy sweat.  So I decided to take a break and watch the 2nd half of the Miami New England game.
I’ll go back out later and get the StructureScan module and both head units mounted.
Making good progress and having fun.

Mac Attack

« Reply #39 on: Jan 02, 2023, 04:32 PM »
I took the cover to the canvas place to get totally restitched.  It needed to be done.  A couple seams were coming apart and others soon to be.  This cover was NOT cared for properly.  No scotchguard (or equivalent ever).  This restitching will buy me a couple years before I need new canvas.  But when I do get new, I’ll do it with quality material and it will be double stitched throughout.
The canvas place says 3-4 weeks.
So I bought a 10’ x 20’ EZ Up Tent.  It will be here by Friday.  The sun beats boats up down here!!!

I got the solar charger hooked up to the main battery.  My daughter Kelly bought that for me last year on my birthday.  It’s a float type charger with a solar panel.

Also got my Terrova mounted.
Twice.
 :-\

I didn’t like where it was when I got it mounted.  So I took it off, moved it over, and remounted it.  Came out really nice.
I still have to wire it.
The boat was already wired for a bow mount trolling motor, but only a 12 volt and lower thrust unit.  So the wiring was only 8ga and that won’t cut it for my Terrova that draws 54 amps and needs 6ga.  I have the new 60 amp plug and receptacle.  I also have 25’ of red and 25’ of black 6ga Marine grade wire.  I’ll do that maybe tomorrow.
Got lots done today.

taxid

« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2023, 07:08 AM »
I took the cover to the canvas place to get totally restitched.  It needed to be done.  A couple seams were coming apart and others soon to be.  This cover was NOT cared for properly.  No scotchguard (or equivalent ever).  This restitching will buy me a couple years before I need new canvas.  But when I do get new, I’ll do it with quality material and it will be double stitched throughout.
The canvas place says 3-4 weeks.
So I bought a 10’ x 20’ EZ Up Tent.  It will be here by Friday.  The sun beats boats up down here!!!

I got the solar charger hooked up to the main battery.  My daughter Kelly bought that for me last year on my birthday.  It’s a float type charger with a solar panel.

Also got my Terrova mounted.
Twice.
 :-\

I didn’t like where it was when I got it mounted.  So I took it off, moved it over, and remounted it.  Came out really nice.
I still have to wire it.
The boat was already wired for a bow mount trolling motor, but only a 12 volt and lower thrust unit.  So the wiring was only 8ga and that won’t cut it for my Terrova that draws 54 amps and needs 6ga.  I have the new 60 amp plug and receptacle.  I also have 25’ of red and 25’ of black 6ga Marine grade wire.  I’ll do that maybe tomorrow.
Got lots done today.

Can't wait to hear reports from when you take it out fishing. I guess as far as freshwater, largemouth bass are already on the beds in February in Florida?

I live near the 3rd largest Amish settlement in the U.S. They have lots of nice skills we can use at reasonable prices. One is custom high quality boat covers. I had my 15 foot boat set up with a custom heavy duty boat cover complete with snaps, webbing, and poles a couple of years ago. Holding up well.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2023, 10:14 AM »
Yup.
The restitch is only costing $80/hr at this place.
So, it should only cost like $250-400 they said as a guess.
They gave me a price of $2000 to build a new one.
I was at Bass Pro and checked on a new cover, identical to the one that came with the boat.
The cost is $1400.
I will use the restitched old one for a year or so.
The custom cover will be far better material, but the original cover has these cool rubber tabs that fit in under the guard rails that run around the boat and make it pretty easy to install.
Not sure what I'll end up doing, but I have time.

The LiFePo4 battery arrived yesterday.
What a beast!!!
The charger was sent to my old house (Jeff's house now).
I have been bugging him to forward it to me, but he was "busy".  lol
He shipped it out yesterday and it says I'll get it Monday.

I'm having a problem with the HDS8 I bought.
I went to update the software in it and now it won't reboot.
It hangs up halfway and then just sits there.
I'm working with Lowrance on it.

I will bring the boat back up to the house either later today or tomorrow and do some more work on it.
The transducer extension cable arrived and the NMEA cables are arriving later today.
The ethernet cables are due early next week.
So, I'll mount the head units and start running the cables to where they need to go.

I will also jack up the axles one at a time and check the wheel bearings on the trailer.
It's saltwater down here and I'm not taking a chance.
Not sure I'll pull them to inspect as they really frown on work like that down here.
I will simply spin them and listen and feel for anything suspicious.
If there is any sign that worries me, I'll take it someplace and have them all replaced, repacked with grease, and new seals.
The motor only has 83 hrs on it, so the previous owner never used this rig.
So, the bearings are probably fine.
They have bearing buddies - so if things seem ok, I'll give them all a shot grease.

Fishing and/or taking the rig out won't happen for another week or two at least.

That's the way I am with my boats.
Safety first.

Mac Attack

« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2023, 05:58 PM »

My thread is back.

8)

Mac Attack

« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2023, 09:32 AM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2023, 12:54 PM »
Thought I was obsessed with my wood shop.

I’m ok!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.