FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Portable fish finder  (Read 1813 times)

gamefisher

Portable fish finder
« on: Aug 30, 2023, 07:52 AM »
Gentlemen- I have an old hummingbird 160 portable fish finder  I use for my little camp boat.  Tried it yesterday,  will power up but not read correctly,  battery says all charged.  Tried my showdown battery in it this morning,  same thing.  I'm thinking now it's the head itself.  Since I already have the case, cable, battery,  etc., could I just buy a newer version  just the head itself and change it out and  have it work? I think they call it piranhamax now.   Would save me  a few bucks but certainly not worth it is wont synch up.  Appreciate any thoughts.

Steve H.

It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

gamefisher

Re: Portable fish finder
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2023, 09:55 AM »
Thanks Steve,  I guess what I was asking is can I add the $118 unit to what I already have, battery,  case, etc. 

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2023, 10:08 AM »

I did the same on an older lowrance got a new 1 now have a back up ducer

Steve H.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2023, 12:58 PM »
Thanks Steve,  I guess what I was asking is can I add the $118 unit to what I already have, battery,  case, etc.

I don't see why the battery would be a problem unless you're referring to the compatibility of the power cable to the new Piranahmax head unit.  Regarding that cable, the transducer and the mount, it's hard to say whether these would be backwards-compatible with your older unit.  I would guess not, since most companies now build "planned obsolescence" into their business models and, as such, do what they can to force you to buy new stuff.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

gamefisher

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2023, 01:10 PM »
I don't see why the battery would be a problem unless you're referring to the compatibility of the power cable to the new Piranahmax head unit.  Regarding that cable, the transducer and the mount, it's hard to say whether these would be backwards-compatible with your older unit.  I would guess not, since most companies now build "planned obsolescence" into their business models and, as such, do what they can to force you to buy new stuff.

I did as you suggested and ordered the $118 package and will just hope everything bolts up.  Needed a new $118 suction cup for the transducer if nothing else anyway. ;D

fishinator

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2023, 02:52 PM »
Not sure if this helps but I went from an old piranhamax to a helix 5. Power cable and transducer are the same.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.