FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Muddy Missy Mistakes  (Read 10476 times)

tomturkey

Re: Muddy Missy Mistakes
« Reply #45 on: Apr 14, 2014, 11:56 AM »
Taxid

I use to use a bigger knot similar to the one in your pictures. The ones I find have one knot per sleeve. They constantly hung up in the guides of the fly rods I fish with, changing the depth. They were made by some big name tackle company and came in a plastic tube.

I was at a local sport shop one day when I noticed he had some knots that had smaller thread that looked like Dacron but is not like I mentioned in an earlier post. I have never had them hang up in the guides or the hole in the bobber.  The came from Fisher Bait and Tackle, White Pigeon,  Mi.

The knot tier that I ordered from the advertisement in the tutorial on how to tie a slip knot that some one posted earlier in this thread came today. I have yet to try it but it looks like I can make it work even with my bad eyes and hands. It comes with a bobbin filled with plenty of smaller diameter string that will do a lot of knots. Nice part is you can tie the knot on the line with out tearing the terminal tackle off the line so you can replace a lost or loosened knot a lot easier.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #46 on: Apr 14, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Here's what I'm using. No issues with line cutting the float or the knot going through. Maybe I don't use them enough, as I do vary my techniques.

Are you using the correct ties for the lb. test you are using? I notice there are two sizes.

That looks like the bead I always replace.  2-4lb line will cut grooves in those after repeated use.  The farther you cast and shallower you fish the worse it is.  If fising deep water where the bobber is usually pulled under a ways and you don't have worry about spooking them, so you don't have to cast as far, the problem lessens.  I never used those bobber stops.  They get caught on the guides and in the reel when fishing deep and trying to cast.  Round unwaxed dental floss works as well and one 'box' will last for years.

taxid

« Reply #47 on: Apr 14, 2014, 11:26 PM »
That looks like the bead I always replace.  2-4lb line will cut grooves in those after repeated use.  The farther you cast and shallower you fish the worse it is.  If fising deep water where the bobber is usually pulled under a ways and you don't have worry about spooking them, so you don't have to cast as far, the problem lessens.  I never used those bobber stops.  They get caught on the guides and in the reel when fishing deep and trying to cast.  Round unwaxed dental floss works as well and one 'box' will last for years.

Interesting. No issues getting caught in the guides or reel with my spinning rods and reels. I use 8 pound test test when I harvest fish from the pond as I want to bring them in asap if I end up releasing them.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

tomturkey

« Reply #48 on: Apr 15, 2014, 07:00 AM »
I do not have any problems with the bigger knots when I use a spinning rod. It was the hang ups of the big knots in the snake guides of my fly rods.

I had my brother build the boss woman a new rod on a fly rod blank but set up as a spinning rod so she does not have the problem with the bigger knots hanging up.

I guess I had better take a magnifying glass and check the top holes of my bobbers for groves from my 4 lb line.

sprkplug

« Reply #49 on: Apr 15, 2014, 09:32 AM »
I make my own slip floats out of balsa, and I use glass craft beads for the slide as they will not be cut by the line. A couple of tips.....the secret to any float, whether it be fixed or sliding, is proper balance. You should add weight to achieve a near neutral buoyancy, so the float will signal the slightest take. Many off the shelf slip floats utilize a barrel weight on the stem, held in place by a rubber o-ring.

For my homemade floats I take steel flat washers, of an appropriate size for the "stem", and cut a slit on one side. This allows me to adjust weight, a little at a time, without breaking my line to do so. I slide the o-ring down off the stem onto my line, and just add or remove flat washers onto my line, via the slit, then slide them up onto the stem, followed by the o-ring to hold them in place. Works great, and by adding weight to the float instead of the line, it helps maintain sensitivity on those subtle uptakes.

Also, I add a second stop below the slip float......if I encounter a situation which would be better served by a fixed float, I can slide the stop up against the float and "capture" it  between the top and bottom stops, so it cannot move.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #50 on: Apr 15, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Interesting. No issues getting caught in the guides or reel with my spinning rods and reels. I use 8 pound test test when I harvest fish from the pond as I want to bring them in asap if I end up releasing them.

Might be the 8lb line that is thick enough to prevent it, but with 2 and sometimes 4lb, the line on the spinning reel will get caught on those larger slip knots down in the reel on the cast and send the whole step up into the water right in front of you.  Using dental floss has nearly eliminated the issue for me.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #51 on: Apr 15, 2014, 09:44 AM »
I make my own slip floats out of balsa, and I use glass craft beads for the slide as they will not be cut by the line. A couple of tips.....the secret to any float, whether it be fixed or sliding, is proper balance. You should add weight to achieve a near neutral buoyancy, so the float will signal the slightest take. Many off the shelf slip floats utilize a barrel weight on the stem, held in place by a rubber o-ring.

For my homemade floats I take steel flat washers, of an appropriate size for the "stem", and cut a slit on one side. This allows me to adjust weight, a little at a time, without breaking my line to do so. I slide the o-ring down off the stem onto my line, and just add or remove flat washers onto my line, via the slit, then slide them up onto the stem, followed by the o-ring to hold them in place. Works great, and by adding weight to the float instead of the line, it helps maintain sensitivity on those subtle uptakes.

Also, I add a second stop below the slip float......if I encounter a situation which would be better served by a fixed float, I can slide the stop up against the float and "capture" it  between the top and bottom stops, so it cannot move.

Interesting.  Can you post a pic of the washer setup?

sprkplug

« Reply #52 on: Apr 15, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Here's one of mine:

Get_the_Net

« Reply #53 on: Apr 15, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Thanks...that makes sense.  Do you not use any sinkers on your line below your bobber and above your hook?  I use bobbers that my grandfather made out of balsa also but they look smaller than those from top to bottom but are wider.  Hard to describe but they are kind of in the shape of hot air balloon, but flatter on top.  Usually one bb sinker under the bobber and a larger one about 14 inches above the hook is all that is needed to get the bobber to ride with just the very tip top of the painted balsa above the water and the top stem.  Hard to see from a distance in the waves sometimes, but the lightest bite takes them under.

sprkplug

« Reply #54 on: Apr 15, 2014, 10:12 AM »
To me, a slipfloat requires two kinds of weight. Casting weight, needed to get out there, and placement weight, needed to take my bait down to depth. I want the smallest placement weight I can get by with, so as to not spook the fish when they pick up my offering and feel resistance, but I may need some extra casting weight in order to hit that spot 50-60' away. That's why I prefer the bulk of my weight to be attached to the float itself, and not the line....it gives me the flexibility needed to cast for distance, and still not have my bait plummet to the bottom like a rock...I just want enough weight on the line to take my bait to depth, no more.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #55 on: Apr 15, 2014, 03:03 PM »
To me, a slipfloat requires two kinds of weight. Casting weight, needed to get out there, and placement weight, needed to take my bait down to depth. I want the smallest placement weight I can get by with, so as to not spook the fish when they pick up my offering and feel resistance, but I may need some extra casting weight in order to hit that spot 50-60' away. That's why I prefer the bulk of my weight to be attached to the float itself, and not the line....it gives me the flexibility needed to cast for distance, and still not have my bait plummet to the bottom like a rock...I just want enough weight on the line to take my bait to depth, no more.

Agree 100%.  I have no issue chucking it a longs ways with just the 2 sinkers, hook and bobber on there.  That is with a 6.5 -7ft UL and full spool of 2-4 lb line on the reel.  I think if I added washers to my bobber it would sink it unless I removed all but the one bb shot.  I will have to play around with this to see if I can get the weight onto the bobber and just use the bb shot to get the bait down slowly.

pearly

« Reply #56 on: Apr 24, 2014, 07:18 PM »
sprkplug, Do you turn those bobbers on a wood lathe? Never tried to turn balsa wood??!! Thanks!!!!
               pearly

sprkplug

« Reply #57 on: Apr 24, 2014, 07:58 PM »
sprkplug, Do you turn those bobbers on a wood lathe? Never tried to turn balsa wood??!! Thanks!!!!
               pearly

I don't own a wood lathe, but I use my metal lathe instead. It could use a higher speed, but it gets the job done. Lots of dust on the ways though.

pearly

« Reply #58 on: Apr 24, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Thank you!!!!!!! :laugh:

frozengator

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Took a ride down last night with my son, did alright. A few crappie, and a bunch of bull heads.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.