FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crappie Spawn Time?  (Read 1709 times)

taxid

Crappie Spawn Time?
« on: Mar 30, 2016, 11:14 PM »
I'm ashamed to say I keep so busy with the taxidermy and raising live fish on the property I haven't done much fishing in the last few years. This year I hope to change that.

I'm going to try and add a new species to my fish sales and to that end will go out soon and catch a few crappies to use as brood fish. Keep in mind it's illegal to sell those and I don't intend to. However it's legal to catch them with a fishing license and use them as brood fish.

Anyway seem to remember the crappies spawn just before the bass do. If I remember right sometime in April or May depending on water temps?

When do you guys start seeing females with bulging eggs? I need to determine the sexes before I plant them into one of my spawning ponds.

I'm in Noble County about 2 miles south of Ligonier btw. Lots of good lakes around but I prefer the small ones. I hate big boat and jet ski traffic! I'll probably hit Skinner for the ease of catching them although size usually won't be very large there.

Once the fry reach about an inch and a half I will need to bring the fry inside to a tank and feed train them on artificial feed to get the fastest growth. I have been informed it will be a challenge and may end up with 50 percent mortality. So far I've feed trained bluegill, yellow perch, and smallmouth bass. Will start them on freeze dried krill.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

dsqui

Re: Crappie Spawn Time?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2016, 03:25 AM »
for me it seems its always a week or two before mothersday.  except last year i could find a crappie to save my life.  if the cold weather will quit it will start if it dont we will probably have a really small window this year.

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2016, 05:49 AM »
U looking for whites or blacks. Blacks always go first its getting close for them central part of state seeing males grouping up. White females also now showing some size. The big girl I got last weekend had a baseball down there already. I would start looking on next up ward pattern. Shouldn't have a problem separating the sex. Please put the big girls back everyone. We really need them in the high pressured lakes. Better geans better fish.

Edge

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2016, 08:41 AM »
its always a week or two before mothersday

I would agree, late April or very early May.  You wait much past this time frame and you will get nothing but spawned out females and dark males.

bherr24

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Late April through May depending on the area you are fishing. I have a pit i fish that is always early, more like mid april, but a place like Mississinewa where i fish often is normally early to mid May.  Have had years though where it lasts up until the end of May too. Just depends on water temps.  You should be able to tell a big female right now, they are bulging with eggs.  I have caught three 14 inch  and one 15 out of the pit in the last 3 weeks that were obvious females. Should be able to catch some pre spawners as soon as the weather warms back up and the stupid rain shuts off for more then 2 days at a time.

abishop

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:55 AM »
I thought some of mine were bulging with eggs also but, after cleaning discovered they were eating the heck out of blood worms.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:16 PM »
can you do anything with freezer burnt ones taxi?  i got 4 over 16 in the freezer i never got to. :(

No they don't spawn well.  :D

Sorry couldn't resist.  ;D

I get freezer burnt fish all the time! They can be rehydrated.

That said I'm so swamped I may start turning customers down.  I'm getting some fish back to a couple of guys tomorrow I'd be embarrassed to tell you how long I've had them!  ::)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:17 PM »
i have seen some males with their tuxedos starting to show, in NE indiana, just last week.

Yeah I completely forgot the males exhibit "sexual dipmophism" as in take on a dark coloration.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:18 PM »
U looking for whites or blacks. Blacks always go first its getting close for them central part of state seeing males grouping up. White females also now showing some size. The big girl I got last weekend had a baseball down there already. I would start looking on next up ward pattern. Shouldn't have a problem separating the sex. Please put the big girls back everyone. We really need them in the high pressured lakes. Better geans better fish.

I was considering actually producing hybrids of the two but have decided to go with blacks.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:19 PM »
Thank you everyone for your generous information!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.