FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Missy report  (Read 10962 times)

bigr

Re: Missy report
« Reply #15 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:55 AM »
I've found that the white bass seem to run about the same time every year no matter of water temp. Not saying they actual spawn right away but move up river in to position. Look for white bass by the end of march. Crappie tend to move when there's a high water event that happens starting about now. Depending on water temp will determine how far they run up river. As you probable know you'll start finding them first in the slack areas closer to the main lake. Upstream from red bridge then in full spawn as far as reenactment area and beyond. I'll be testing my early areas this week and would not be surprised to find a few fish showing up. Best bite for a mixed bag of the bigger fish for me usually happens by end of month followed by big numbers thru April and May. I'll be in Arizona for acouple weeks in the middle of march so I'm hoping when I get back it will be full blown on.

rivereddy

« Reply #16 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:10 PM »
The water below the dam was really muddy and really moving.  I literally picked up and
immediately released a small crappie that was disoriented and flopping on the surface.
No walleye

fish on,

rivereddy

bherr24

« Reply #17 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:25 PM »
I fished spillway for a short time tonight, like rivereddy said the water was really muddy. No hits at all.  Lake by the dam was back down close to winter pool but was also muddy. Hopefully it clears back up but more chances of rain and snow this week so who knows.

Jig_Head

« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2016, 12:39 AM »
I've found that the white bass seem to run about the same time every year no matter of water temp. Not saying they actual spawn right away but move up river in to position. Look for white bass by the end of march. Crappie tend to move when there's a high water event that happens starting about now. Depending on water temp will determine how far they run up river. As you probable know you'll start finding them first in the slack areas closer to the main lake. Upstream from red bridge then in full spawn as far as reenactment area and beyond. I'll be testing my early areas this week and would not be surprised to find a few fish showing up. Best bite for a mixed bag of the bigger fish for me usually happens by end of month followed by big numbers thru April and May. I'll be in Arizona for acouple weeks in the middle of march so I'm hoping when I get back it will be full blown on.
Can u get into the white bass from shore like u can the crappie?

bigr

« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2016, 05:04 AM »
From shore is the norm, Most the fishing is done upstream in the river.   

Jig_Head

« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Ok cool thanks. I'm sure Im in the minority on this, but white bass is my favorite species to fish for. Favorite to catch, not eat. Soft water fishing I catch and release 9 times outta 10

bigr

« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2016, 11:43 AM »
White bass are one of my favorite to catch also. They fight like no tomorrow and add current most of the time and they are hard to beat. In most years you can have some big number days during the spring run. The Missinnawa river has to be better than most for size and numbers. 16 to 18"ers are not uncommon. Their so aggressive during the spawn I like to experiment with new baits. This year I think i'll try fly fishing for them, something I have not done. 

rivereddy

« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2016, 01:16 PM »
We might be a minority, but we are not alone.  Whites, silvers, stripes or sand bass as they are sometimes
called are simply a blast to fish for.  What's not to like?  They are a great way start the soft water year.
They have minimal tackle requirements - All you need will fit in a pocket.  No boat is not needed, no battery
to charge, just rubber boots.  By the way it took me y e a r s to learn that waders aren't usually needed either.
People seem to wade in to be able to cast to the far bank which, if you were on the opposite bank, would be the
water you are wading through to get to the near/far bank!  Further the deep water you are wading through is
where most of the fish are probably holding. I learned this one day when I kept feeling fish bump against my waders.
I dropped a jig straight down and bam - fish on!

They don't jump true, but hit like a truck and offer a fair amount of pull.  In fast clear water one can often see
several fish following the one you have hooked.  I usually use a UL with 4 # test and hair jigs that I tie with
squirrel tail on 1/32, 1/16, and 1/8 oz ball head jigs.  Tying in a bit of Christmas tree tinsel adds a bit of flash.
I also use a 5 wt fly rod with small bugger type wet flies in neon colors and weighted with copper wire to
get them to sink faster.

Lastly,  I will often keep 2 or 3 small fish - 10 inches or so- for the pan.  Fillet the fish out and remove the skin
then take your knife at a low angle to the meat and remove the reddish meet on the skin side of the fillet. It is
this red tissue that makes the flavor so "gamey"  take the remaining white meat and cut into half inch cubes.
salt and pepper them to taste, and simply sautee/flash fry them in a little butter with no breading.  A toothpick
will help you snatch them off of the plate.  They will go fast which means you will have to go catch a couple more!

Fish on, eat good,

rivereddy

Boomer

« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:23 PM »
I enjoy the white bass. Ultralite gear is fun. Blue fox or Panther Martin spinners are my favorite lures. After the spring run, Brookville and Summit are both fun in the early morning and early evening fishing for them in the "jumps." Now that I am up here in northern Indiana I need to "watch the boards" for info.

BigR: there are people that fly fish for them in the Whitewater River above Brookville. I think they commonly use muddler minnows. I would expect any white colored weighted fly with some flash would work.

Eating them? Not my favorite. I do like to keep several packages in the freezer to make a hot and sour bass soup with. It is a very firm fish. Have also pickled them. Not bad.

izzy65

« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2016, 10:13 PM »
I have never fished the run here, Always went to the wolf river in fremont Wisconsin, The run there is in may.
Satchmo

indianahooker

« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:09 AM »
if we get the warm temps they calling for next week they should turn on.  been thinking about the eyes below the dams for a while now.  thoughts of mushrooms are dancing in my head too for some reason.

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2016, 06:34 AM »
What's water look like by red bridge? Anyone been out? Big R . any info? If its a no go am going to try a lake in North East. Any help up that would helped never fished up that way.

bigr

« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:40 AM »
Headed out to missy red bridge area around 1pm. Water coming into resi is somewhat clear so I expect water to be a fishable color. Looking thru my log, most years the bite really turns on about now. From 2009 to now the best bite is about 50 50 that the fish have started up stream. I'll start out today in red bridge area and work my way upstream for samplings. The warmer weather next week will really get them going. If not it would be the first since I've kept a log.

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:46 AM »
That's great Big R. Good luck. Was hopping to fish there tomorrow if possible. Let us know what u find. If some fish are catch able. Sure glad this site has guys like u.

tater140

« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Let us know how you do and how far up river we should fish. I'm planning to launch out of red bridge bright and early saturday morning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.