FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Missy in the morning  (Read 9731 times)

Zktaylor

Missy in the morning
« on: Apr 03, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Thinking about making a trip down to missy in the morning. This will be my first time down there and I was hoping someone could give me ideas on where to start. I will not be taking my boat, just bank fishing. Not looking for specific spots, just places where its ok to park and walk. Thanks in advance.

crappiecrusher34

Re: Missy in the morning
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2016, 04:15 PM »
Frances Slocum area is where lots of my fish have came from. Dam wall is a good spot also. Lots of people fish Red bridge area and north side of bridge the dead end road all can be produce fish. Water clarity is what u need to look for. Clear areas will produce fish. Don't forget the river summerset area. She's been on the rise. Am ready for her to start filling up and clearing up by crappie USA tournament there in May. Good luck. Hope this helps. If there not biting don't be afraid to move around the lake. I found them biting somewhere on lake nearly every time. If its dirty try pink skirt black body. One too two ft down.

Zktaylor

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2016, 04:20 PM »
Thanks for the great info crappiecrusher. I'm just worried about parking, dont wanna get towed 2 hours from home lol.

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2016, 04:37 PM »
No worries. All state property. And it will posted if not.

bherr24

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2016, 04:49 PM »
Missy was a muddy mess this afternoon so it may be a tough bite.  I took a drive over to check it out and it was ugly.  Crappiecrusher gave you the general areas i like to fish.  I don't own a boat so do all my fishing off the bank there.  Frances slocum area is a favorite of mine as is the dead end road by red bridge on the north side.   At slocum there is tons of parking up top of the hill from the boat launch.  I even park down at the boat launch in the winter months since the launch is not used, saves me from walking up the hill. At dead end there is a little parking area as well.  I have never had a problem with parking over there.  With conditions like they are i would maybe check the coves in shallower water as it should be warmer, both spots i mentioned have coves. At slocum, go left a ways and there will be a big one that bends around back there.    I have had good luck fishing right next to the cliff walls near red bridge and dead end too.  I mainly use jigs but as muddy as it is i would probably take along some minnies tomorrow too.  Good luck and if you make it out let us know how it goes. I'm hoping to get out late this week or over the weekend.

Zktaylor

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know how it turns out.

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2016, 08:46 AM »
I suggest upstream. Crappie in years past have always been on the move this time of year. This year seems to be late from my past couple trips. It will happen and it happens fast, one day nothing the next hundreds. Water levels are dropping up river. Look for the slack areas if there there you'll know right away. The other location that was giving up lots of crappie a few days ago was below the dam. Good luck.   

Zktaylor

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2016, 10:14 PM »
Had no luck at all. Tried several different places. The only place where there was any visible activity was the dead end north of red bridge. Fish were popping on the surface all over the place. I threw every different color combo I had at em and couldn't get a single bite. After about an hour the wind changed direction and everything stopped. The water had about 3 inches of visibility. It sucks getting the skunk but it was a nice adventure. Given that this was my first resi trip, I didn't go into it expecting much. It was a nice change of scenery though. Thank you guys for your advice. Better luck next time!

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2016, 06:25 AM »
Just give the old girl a couple weeks she'll come around.

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2016, 08:39 AM »
A buddy fished upstream yesterday and got a nice mess. If we don't get rain things should be going good by weekend. Water still dropping fast but corp as today will only drop to around 6 ft above winter pool. That level will change daily. This morning they were about 5 ft from where they want it and dropping a foot and a half a day. By Thursday resi will level off and come up at slow rate. That's when it will really get going. Rain stay away.   

bigr

« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2016, 08:45 AM »
Let me add that when the corp lowers discharge from dam the walleye and crappie will be on fire for those that fish below dams. Watch the corp site for discharge rates, seems like rates in the 1000cfu and lower is the best.

bherr24

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2016, 09:39 AM »
Was just thinking that bigr.  Usually do pretty well below dam in the month of april.   I have a graph of river level in peoria i check on the net and seems like when the level gets down around 2 to 3 feet is when i have best luck.  Hoping that may happen today, if it does i think i will give it a shot. Caught a bunch of crappie and white bass down there 2 weeks ago before all the cold and rain started.

Ztaylor, thanks for the report. Sorry it was a tough day.  I have always struggled on the resi side in muddy water.  The weather surely hasn't helped.  Give it another shot when the weather stabilizes and you should have better luck.  When the water gets to summer pool  that opens up some other spots to fish too.

Zktaylor

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2016, 10:10 AM »
im sure you could find a better place to go, on a 2 hour drive.  i live an hour away and dont think its worth it.  rains always mess up our reservoirs.  the muddier the water the worse the bite.  add along with that current fluctuations, and water temp fluctuations this time of year,a nd its hit or miss.  below the dams are where you want to be there now.   

I'm sure I could have found somewhere better too. But I just wanted to try something different, and I've never fished a resi before so I was basically fishing blind lol.

bherr24

« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Caught 6 nice crappie today below the dam and then they slowed the discharge down and all i could get was the little guys.  If they would have let the thing alone i think i would have done pretty good. Tried the lake too and could only get 2 small ones there. After tomorrow looks like a nice weather week things should pick up.

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2016, 05:35 AM »
The bite has really been on below the dam the last few days and yesterday the corp discharge was way down. Every one was getting limits of big crappie in short order along with several white bass. A few walleye were taken yesterday also. I believe the corp is starting to hold water back for summer pool so rate likely won't change over next few days. Fishing should continue to be good and the walleye will get going much better now. Above dam in resi bite has been slow with water color being so bad and fluctuating. Fish had just started their migration up stream when the last rain/snow event accured. Look for the spawning run to really get going up stream as the water slowly rises. Good fishing and get em while the getting is good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.