FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maumee River  (Read 17937 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Maumee River
« Reply #30 on: Mar 05, 2017, 08:35 AM »

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Thanks attack

taxid

« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2017, 04:25 PM »
The feeling you get when you know the Co's are watching you even tho your doing nothing wrong makes you almost afraid to jerk unless your totally sure of a hook set. Odnr makes a great deal of money from the run threw violations. As someone on this thread mentioned that he knew nothing about a special Run rule, live bait as well as others. You will run into a lot of inexperienced fishermen and those that just don't give crap and yes confrontations. For me, I'll stay close to home and put my time in and could come home with that fish of a lifetime without the other issues or expense. Trust me, our Indiana waters have big fish without the hassles.    

I have friends that refuse to go there anymore as they believe it's a Kangaroo Court. All the CO's drive around brand new trucks etc. They believe the CO's have quota's and just round up people and it's your word against theirs. If you challenge it they hold your vehicle.  I have done business with one of those CO's at his fish farm (in his wife's name as it's not legal for him to also run a business) and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw a house. The man is an absolute Dickhead.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Roll tide

« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2017, 06:45 PM »
I have been fishing the run since 1980 and have only missed a few years. I have never seen a CO giving anyone trouble who didn't deserve it. If you put a fish on a stringer that is not hooked in the mouth you take a chance on having a problem. Side of the head is not legal, and you should get a ticket.

tater140

« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:43 AM »
I have only fished it for 3 years and haven't seen any issues either.  They do make their presence known which I am fine with.  Any walleye to me isn't worth a ticket so I don't have any problems putting them back if their foul hooked.  I was the same way though.... I said for years I didn't want any part of that chaos over there.  After going the first time it wasn't as bad as I had pictured and I've been having a great time fishing over there since. 
There are situations you just have to walk away from.  My first walleye ever there was a pretty nice one probably 26-28" and another guy had gotten snagged up in my line.  The fish swung downstream and he netted i and by the time I got down there he had both jigs out in a hurry and loudly proclaimed that was his fish.  I just let him have it, I wasn't about to get in a fight over a fish.  That has been the only time I have had anything like that crop up.  Any other time the people around me have been good to fish with.

Roll tide

« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Have not made the trip yet this year. A couple of friends have made 3 trips for 1 fish. I will wait till I see a few limits being take to the tackle shop. 1 1/2 hr. drive from Auburn, not worth it yet. !

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2017, 04:21 AM »
I have only fished it for 3 years and haven't seen any issues either.  They do make their presence known which I am fine with.  Any walleye to me isn't worth a ticket so I don't have any problems putting them back if their foul hooked.  I was the same way though.... I said for years I didn't want any part of that chaos over there.  After going the first time it wasn't as bad as I had pictured and I've been having a great time fishing over there since. 
There are situations you just have to walk away from.  My first walleye ever there was a pretty nice one probably 26-28" and another guy had gotten snagged up in my line.  The fish swung downstream and he netted i and by the time I got down there he had both jigs out in a hurry and loudly proclaimed that was his fish.  I just let him have it, I wasn't about to get in a fight over a fish.  That has been the only time I have had anything like that crop up.  Any other time the people around me have been good to fish with.
Wow brother! How in the hell did you keep your cool?

tater140

« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Wow brother! How in the hell did you keep your cool?
It takes quite a bit to get under my skin I suppose.  On the flip side I have caught lots of limits and big fish out of there since.  I look at it as losing the battle and winning the war I guess.

taxid

« Reply #38 on: Mar 08, 2017, 10:37 AM »
It takes quite a bit to get under my skin I suppose.  On the flip side I have caught lots of limits and big fish out of there since.  I look at it as losing the battle and winning the war I guess.

Always good to keep your cool. You never know what you're dealing with. Applies on the road too. I heard an angler got stabbed by another angler, on I believe, the Mannistee a few years ago near the Tippy dam.

On a funny note I was there once and watching a guy play a huge king on an light rod for a short while. Problem was the guys around him had to reel in and wait on him to bring it in. One huge guy got tired of waiting and cut his line. He said, "I'm tired this s**t!!  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Roll tide

« Reply #39 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:37 PM »
I was fishing the Huron pier at night about 10 years ago or so, and watch a man pull a gun out and start yelling at a boat that trolled to close to the rock. He didn't shoot but it got ugly. The boat took off back up river and he took off for shore. I get mad at times when people are rude but that was nuts.

Jig_Head

« Reply #40 on: Mar 09, 2017, 12:53 AM »
Have not made the trip yet this year. A couple of friends have made 3 trips for 1 fish. I will wait till I see a few limits being take to the tackle shop. 1 1/2 hr. drive from Auburn, not worth it yet. !
Yeah I'm waiting too

crappieslayer38

« Reply #41 on: Mar 09, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Imma head that way again Saturday. Word is there was a limit caught today.

netminder34

« Reply #42 on: Mar 10, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Good luck and this is why I say that.  One of my best friends, an Ohio resident versed in the rules, got a ticket there a couple years ago.  As he was leaving the river a CO stopped him and wrote him a ticket for keeping an illegally caught fish.  Said, he saw from the other side of the river sitting in his truck, that my friend had put a fish on his stinger that was not hooked legally.  My buddy had caught a fish hooked in the mouth, hook on the inside of the mouth with jig body protruding from the corner of the jaw.  Didn't argue with the CO but did question his vantage point and evidence to which he replied he didnt need evidence or proof just pay the ticket.  So you can do everything on the up and up and still get stung.  I will take my fishing money to other waters and support other fisheries.

taxid

« Reply #43 on: Mar 10, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Good luck and this is why I say that.  One of my best friends, an Ohio resident versed in the rules, got a ticket there a couple years ago.  As he was leaving the river a CO stopped him and wrote him a ticket for keeping an illegally caught fish.  Said, he saw from the other side of the river sitting in his truck, that my friend had put a fish on his stinger that was not hooked legally.  My buddy had caught a fish hooked in the mouth, hook on the inside of the mouth with jig body protruding from the corner of the jaw.  Didn't argue with the CO but did question his vantage point and evidence to which he replied he didnt need evidence or proof just pay the ticket.  So you can do everything on the up and up and still get stung.  I will take my fishing money to other waters and support other fisheries.

Like I said...

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:46 AM »
The maumee has special regs.....I would check to see if its legal first.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.