FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sally and Missy report  (Read 12667 times)

bigr

Re: Sally and Missy report
« Reply #30 on: Mar 05, 2020, 05:36 AM »
As mentioned both resi's are not in good shape right now. My trip around resi's was also a blank for fish but did give me a good ideal as to a time line for fishing to pick up. Based on the current weather predictions, corp of eng discharge rates, levels and color of water, I would expect decent fishing at missy starting this weekend and sally sometime mid next week in the usually locations. Water color won't be great but that doesn't make much difference but will get better each day and pretty fast. With the water warming the fish will be starting a move upstream when ever we get a high water event. I checked a couple locations but current just wasn't right and color was not good at all. Remember to give shallow depths a try. If your using a double rig set-up and your getting a few on the top jig that's a sure indicator they my be in top of the water column.

bigr

« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2020, 07:23 AM »
Bite is picking back up on both resi's. Watch for rain totals because that's what will change fishing conditions quick. So far I think we're ok.

chicagill34

« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2020, 06:52 PM »
I brought home 7 Crappies and a stray White Bass from the west side of 105,lots of sorting today. I also must add I got a visit from 2 game wardens today and they did their usual business but also asked if I know anything about the fish scraps from someone cleaning them on the west side of the road next to the guardrail. They counted about 20 fish and said they're not too happy about it. They will be watching up there now they said. They looked about a day old...

tater140

« Reply #33 on: Mar 12, 2020, 12:39 PM »
i drove down there last night for a quick fish.  Brought home 8 crappies, caught about that many throwbacks, a random white, bass, a largemouth, and saw one eagle.  Nice calm evening to be out,and it sure was fun to fish with a long rod again.  Even if my boots did get all muddy.  I'm ready for them to bring the water levels up and be able to put a boat in.

bigr

« Reply #34 on: Mar 13, 2020, 05:09 AM »
I hit the missy last evening with one pole for crappie and one I just threw out beside me with a pcs of cut up crappie. I had a ball catching big channel cats. Kept three smaller ones for a southern fried catfish dinner Saturday. If you like catfishing this is the time to get them. I cant remember getting bigger channels than I got yesterday. If I had three poles out I might not have been able to tend them all. I think I'm going back Saturday with three poles and some grand kids. And yes I did get a few nice crappie as well.   

bherr24

« Reply #35 on: Mar 13, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Must have been you i seen over on the point bigr. Seen a guy with a nice cat as i was comin down the road. I gave her all i had for the crappie but just couldnt get them to go with any regularity. I may have caught 15 total in the 2 and a half hours i was there. Only one had any size to it. Buddy of mine hammered em the day before. Another  buddy killed em yesterday but in a different spot. All about finding the big school i guess. River is up in Marion so lake prolly going to get muddier.

tater140

« Reply #36 on: Mar 18, 2020, 08:40 AM »
I fished at Sally on Sunday.  Started out at the Dora ramp area, walked around fished without a bite.  I thought maybe I could get ahead of the mud, but doesn't appear that was the case.  So I headed the other direction up river and fished my way East.  Current and mud in all loctions fished, and not a bite.  I ended up East of 9 when I finally gave up.  I didn't realize that we had gotten that much rain last week... on Wednesday it was in good shape yet.  As I drove over the dam they were letting the water out at a good clip.  My guess is it may settle back down later this week, but more rain coming so who knows. 

lovetfish

« Reply #37 on: Mar 18, 2020, 07:04 PM »
they will be at full pool by Sat with all this rain >:( >:(

bigr

« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2020, 05:41 AM »
Water levels will be changing daily so the trick will be to guess where the most likely spot to find the fish will be. I'll be chasing them further upstream now and i'll be looking for slack areas and creek mouths first. Fish will likely be very shallow and stacked so even with muddy water if you use dark color jigs they will find it. River and creek mouths will clear first. It's time for the big runs of crappie to happen. I'm looking forward to the chase. Catfishing has been great. I needed a break from the crappie and they were a blast to catch and made for a couple good meals. If your a catfisherman now is the time using cut bait/shrimp.

charlys1954

« Reply #39 on: Mar 21, 2020, 02:25 AM »
Haven't been to missy in 15-20 years, used to fish below the dam never anywhere else. Will have to keep an eye on this thread to know when to go. I am assuming there's no charge to bank fish anywhere you can get to except if you go thru the main gate.
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

charlys1954

« Reply #40 on: Mar 21, 2020, 02:29 AM »
…...as far as crappie, ill chase other fish while the mud is in.  or hit the natural lakes, that don't have as much runoff.  this weather is yelling pike/musky fishing to me though!

Yep on the musky. I'll be heading for Bruce Lake  for some of that soon after I get the boat ready.

charlys1954

« Reply #41 on: Mar 21, 2020, 05:32 AM »
Not sure but doesn't Frances Slocum, Red Bridge, and other places have a free launch, thought a guy told me that.

charlys1954

« Reply #42 on: Mar 21, 2020, 08:20 PM »
How about if you just park in a parking lot and shore fish, does your car need a sticker. I tried to look it up at the DNR site but didn't see any info, may be in a link I missed.

tater140

« Reply #43 on: Mar 21, 2020, 10:06 PM »
Shore fishing does not require the launch permit.  If you go in the campground entrance and launch out of that launch you have to pay the entrance fee of 8$.... aside from that any motorized boat has to have the dnr launch sticker once on the water... same for potatoe creek, chain o lakes, etc...  if you on one of the resi’s there are a number of free launches...in fact most of them are free.. but once on the water you need the launch permit on your boat.  Good for all the state parks and costs around 30$ annually i believe.

Daybreak

« Reply #44 on: Mar 21, 2020, 10:25 PM »
costs around 30$ annually i believe.
$25.00 plus a fee if you use a credit card.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.