FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rico??  (Read 19502 times)

rico

• Give me some lovin'
Re: Rico??
« Reply #30 on: Sep 23, 2005, 11:54 AM »
My final data is in on the Big Ten vs. Sec.  Jimmy pay close attention to this because you are gonna get a kick out of it.  Crappie 66, keep in mind up until recently college football was a "mythical" championship.  Polls determined the champ...the A.P. poll came into existance in 1936 and the UPI(coaches) didnt come in until 1950.  So up until that time a lot of championships were shared, sometimes by as many as 5 teams.  Even after the two media polls were created the "old" polls stayed in existence right through the 70's.  That being said, The Big Ten was founded in 1897 and the S.E.C was around until 1933.  So all championships by either member school before 1933 I have thrown out.  Michigan had 6, Illinois 3, Alabama 3 etc.  Also Penn State didnt join the Big Ten until the early 90's so they forfeit 4 titles.  Michigan State didnt join the conference until 1949 they forfeit none.  The same goes with Arkansas and South Carolina.  They did not join the SEC until the early 90's.  Niether one has one a title since being in the conference.  However Arkansas forfeits 2 titles pre-SEC and the Gamecocks have never won one.  The tally is:

Big Ten                                                    SEC

Ohio St.---13                                               LSU---5
Michigan---7                                                Tennessee---7
Penn St---1                                                  Florida---2
Michigan St.---5                                            Auburn---3
Iowa---2                                                       Alabama---13
Minnesota---6                                               Georgia---4
Illinois---1                                                     Mississippi---3
Wisconsin---1                                                Kentucky---1

Big Ten 36                                                   SEC  38

By the way Crappie, the Sec has kicked their butts over the last 30 years.  In its existence the SEC has more football titles than any other conference.  Hey Jimmy did you notice that Kentucky is on the list?  1950 my man!  Where was Purdue?  Well it would seem that they did win in 1931.  It must have been the same guys that got them their basketball title in 1932!!!  But that was before the SEC.

slimjim7461

« Reply #31 on: Sep 23, 2005, 06:45 PM »
You all are into this football thing to much for me,lol,come see me during basketball season,Kentucky will have a team to deal with,they always do tho(lol)

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #32 on: Sep 23, 2005, 08:05 PM »
Rico, when doing my research I did notice many additional National Championships for each team.  However, I chose to only list those by the AP.  There are several other championships out there, had I listed those the Big Ten's tally would have easily been closer to 80 plus, and SEC around 40. 

I also realize teams join the conferences at different times, however, when people debate about teams in each conference they talk about the long standing history of those add on teams.  That is why I included those national championships, since they are currently teams in that particular conference.

As I type this I am wondering to myself, why?, because I always say who cares about the past, those championships or history has nothing to do with today's teams.   It is evident that the Big Ten is strong, and the SEC is strong, but the edge must go to the Big Ten.  I respect SEC programs, because they like the Big Ten play good games, now if you were a Big 12 or PAC 10 fan I would have no respect what so ever for the program.

Rico, be sure to watch the Purdue game tomorrow.  ESPN  11:00 AM, the boilers are on track to shock the nation, just wait, this might be the year we get national recognition.

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #33 on: Sep 23, 2005, 08:35 PM »
Rico, on another note. 

Purdue has played Tennessee one time in football.

Results:

Purdue 27
Tennessee 22

Bluebonnet Bowl  12/31/1979

Well head to head matchup I think Purdue takes that one.

Well I guess I will have to break out this picture agian.  It is only fitting.

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #34 on: Sep 24, 2005, 07:22 AM »
crappie i beg to differ...the ap did not come out until 1936, you listed quite a few that werent "ap' champs.

the ap poll is also tainted.  i cant put a date on it but if you check closely the team that won their championship lost their bowl game.  that was actually the case for tennessee in 1951.  alabama and notre dame tied for the title in 1973.  but the irish actually beat them in the rose bowl.  the ap did not come out with another poll after the bowl games.

this why we have the bcs now.  it is "supposed" to determine one true national championship.

i will agree to disagree with you none the less.

hey jimmy we cant start analizing college basketball at anytime.  on that one i would have to say the big ten is the tougher of the two.  and i cant stand kentucky, they are just too d**n good.......

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #35 on: Sep 24, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Rico Jr. says:
Looks like I'm going to have to whip out my "I'm really frikkin good on the computer" card for my good ol' pops.

By the way my heart goes out to all those squallering in shame at the defeat of boilermakers against the golden gophers

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #36 on: Sep 24, 2005, 07:43 PM »
Hey Crappie!
I guess cheering for your allumni or home team is a bad thing. Imagine living in
Indiana and cheering for purdue. Sound right? Oh yeah! But how about Tenn.
or Kentucky! no thanks! Bu our fellow fisherman are entitled to their own opinion.
But for me win or lose it's Purdue! Next shanty get together we will have to sport
our favorite college or pro team. Hey Jimmy! Have you heard anymore about
the Patacsil kid wrestling at purdue?
Later See you on the water or ice soon!
Greg

slimjim7461

« Reply #37 on: Sep 24, 2005, 08:12 PM »
Greg the Patskil kid has a chance to start,the 149lber is here at my house right now,lol.........he fished in the walleye tournament this weekend at Brookville,so hes staying here,and Crappie 66666666666,is Minnesota north or south of here?????????????Tough break,but a great game

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #38 on: Sep 25, 2005, 05:08 PM »
i hope everyone realizes this is done in fun.  hey greg, if i must explain myself to you i will.  my father is a purdue alum and my mother is from tennessee. enough said.  i went to huntington college and grew up a IU fan. whip me.  just explain to me one thing...how in the hell to we get some guy from ft. wayne that is a philadelphia eagle fan.  and all this guy can do is trash peyton manning?  search me....but i know that fella and i have fished with him...so you are jerking on the wrong chain.. ;D ;D ;D

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #39 on: Sep 25, 2005, 05:11 PM »
hey crappie...take the tail out between your legs...if you have any dignity left in you...

slimjim7461

« Reply #40 on: Sep 25, 2005, 07:06 PM »
I knew he'de be plumb ashamed when MINNESOTA spanked they're a$$$$$'s,be careful what ya ask for crappie66,everynow and then the bull gets ya(lol)...................GO KENTUCKY

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #41 on: Sep 26, 2005, 06:07 AM »
Yeah, I know it is all in good fun, but sometimes the truth does hurt.  Big Ten best conference, sometimes you just have to accept the facts.

I became an Eagles fan back in junior high school, when Randall Cuningham was QB and they had Reggie White, I guess it has just stuck since I still have all the jackets and hats from back then.  To be honest with you though, I really don't care much for the NFL, a bunch of overpaid cry babies, especially Peyton Manning.

As for Purdue getting beat by Minnesota, I accept that,  they obviously wanted it more than we did, and we could not stop their running attack.  Minnesota is a much better team than they are given credit for, and they have a very very good running back.   I would much rather get beat by Minnesota than IU, who beat the Kentucky Wildcats.  You may win when it comes to basketball, but you will never win when it comes to football.  The only thing I think of when I hear Kentucky football is the big fat QB they had, Lorenzen.

I would rather lose early in the season than late, so now we can redeem ourselves and climb back up the polls.  Notre Dame is next, it will be a good game, probably turn out like last years 41-16 whooping.  The Boilers are going to be mad and hungry.

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #42 on: Sep 26, 2005, 01:53 PM »
you tell him jimmy!  hey crappie, c'mon now big guy cut me some slack.  how many big ten teams have won the championship in your lifetime?  like i said i will agree to disagree with ya.  but get back to reality, will you please....ha ;D my vols are probably gonna take a drubbing tonite, but i learned a long time ago that it doesnt affect my life one iotta...just gives us sports freaks something to haggle about...by the way randall cunningham(sucked), most overhyped qb in the 80's...did he ever win the big one?  H#LL did he ever win the little one?  reggie white?  where did he go to school?  i will give you a hint....rocky top you'll always be home sweet home to me...good ole rocky top...rocky top tennessee.... ;D take care my friend and we will argue about this stuff at the honey hole!

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #43 on: Sep 27, 2005, 11:33 AM »
Well Rico I caught the game last night.  Tennessee was flat the first half, but they sure fought hard in the second half.  I will give you this, unlike Purdue, Tennessee was able to capitalize in overtime. 

AP NEWS....   Hurricane coverage, Baton Rouge stadium flooded, source of flooding, tears from saddened LSU fans.

Rico, do you ever go down to any of the Purdue games?  I am taking a 4 day weekend this weekend to go see my Boilers put a hurting on ND.  Probably take another 4 day weekend to go see my Boilers take care of Iowa as well.  Back to college, see if I can still handle it, I do know my tolerance isn't anything like it used to be.

On October 15 th.  I declare I will be a ND fan for one day, ND must beat USC.  I am tired of hearing about USC and the d**n Pac 10.

blaque

« Reply #44 on: Sep 27, 2005, 12:27 PM »
AP NEWS....   Hurricane coverage, Baton Rouge stadium flooded, source of flooding, tears from saddened LSU fans

Dude your hilarious!?? (if you think you sense a bit of sarcasm there.......your right)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.