FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Has the catch and release mentality gone too far?  (Read 18816 times)

slipbob

Has the catch and release mentality gone too far?
« on: Sep 14, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Just wondering your thoughts on this.  Recently I was reading some posts on a bass fishing website about a guy who caught an 8lb bass here in NY state and he kept it and is going to have it mounted because an 8lb bass is a real trophy up north here.  I can't blame the guy because it's a really big old fish that will probably dies soon anyway and how many times are you going to catch an 8lb bass which is huge. Most folks on the site seemed to villify this person for daring to keep an 8lb bass and making it sound like it's a criminal offense even though it's perfectly legal.  It seems to ME that the catch and release mentality has almost gone overboard in the bass fishing community so that now if you even mention you're keeping a fish you get viciously attacked even though hundreds of bass die every year after being released as a result of so called catch and release bass tourneys.  Also it seems many anglers take so long to get pictures of a fish before releasing it that the fish might die anyway amidst the best of intentions so it's really down to catch and release and die a while later for that fish from being out of the water too long for a well intentioned photo.  It just seems to be really prevalent in the bass community now alongside some of the flyfishing trout folks as well to the point that it's not even selective harvest anymore and you get crucified if you even keep one fish when there are clearly no shortage of bass in our lakes.  What do you think?

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
Re: Has the catch and release mentality gone too far?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2006, 03:55 PM »
i agree to a point...i think there are some waterways that are perfectly fine with catching and keeping..but there are others that should be only catch and release..that being said....an 8 lb fish is worth keeping to mount. but i fly fish too.lol so i let go almost every trout i catch...so i dunno...ive never kept a bass but im pretty sure i would mount an 8lber from my state.
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2006, 03:57 PM »
It seems to ME that the catch and release mentality has almost gone overboard in the bass fishing community so that now if you even mention you're keeping a fish you get viciously attacked

Slipdog - I don't believe anyone around here would "viciously attack" YOU, if you stated that you were keeping a few bass!  :tipup:  ;D

So....fess up......and.....how did they taste??
   &  Bass

Bailbuster

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:00 PM »
I do not keep many fish ,lately I have kept any because I have not caught many.that being said if you catch it legally it is yours to do what you want with it.It may not be PC but thats life .BB

spoonfed

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:06 PM »
imo  if you catch it its your decision to keep or not.  as sportsman we need to understand the water we are fishing and the fish we are targeting.  some lakes have an over abundance of fish and they are stunted.  we need to take some fish out.  some lakes have few fish and are of good size.  we need to release.

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:10 PM »
well said spoon..thats exactly how i feel.
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:21 PM »
imo  if you catch it its your decision to keep or not.  as sportsman we need to understand the water we are fishing and the fish we are targeting.  some lakes have an over abundance of fish and they are stunted.  we need to take some fish out.  some lakes have few fish and are of good size.  we need to release.

this sums my opinion up too. I alwasy look at what waters im fishing. Only take what Ill eat. and do whats best for the future of my waters

Fishing is life

MIRC!

biggeorge50

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:46 PM »
I think I know the website you are talking about, slipbob.  They attack anyone that keeps any bass - call these people the "bucket brigade".  They say if you're going to keep fish, keep walleyes.  Here in NY the limit on bass is 5 and the limit on walleyes is 3, so which should you be keeping?  I don't keep any fish (except gobies) that I don't eat, and I don't think an 8# bass would be any good, so I would probably get some quick measurements and a couple of pictures and have a replica made.  The big guy might die if I release him, but he for sure will if I keep him.
I know enough, I just can't think of most of it.

BlindSquirrel

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2006, 05:48 PM »
Has the catch and release mentality gone too far?

In a word....yes.
How shall I amuse myself today?

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2006, 06:14 PM »
isnt everbody goal to catch the big one. so why not keep it. there are others out there that can get that big. it will just take as long as that one.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2006, 06:24 PM »
I don't think an 8# bass would be any good, so I would probably get some quick measurements and a couple of pictures and have a replica made.  The big guy might die if I release him, but he for sure will if I keep him.

Thank you sir you took the words right out of my mouth.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2006, 06:30 PM »
You are absolutely right slipbob.  The same can be said for many, if not most, of the steelhead fishing sites.  And quite frankly, the way I see most people handling fish that they are releasing they're killing their fare share as well.  Personally, where I'm fishing and what I'm fishing for determine whether I release or keep fish.  I release all trout I catch on some small streams with native populations because the stream couldn't handle keeping a lot of fish, but on the other hand I will keep a limit of steelhead from an Erie trib because that will not hurt the fishery.
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2006, 07:07 PM »
If I'm fishing for a fishfry, I'll keep my allowed legal limit, except for large walleye...Im not going to finish this post....I'll start a poll....Grump

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2006, 07:40 PM »
One thing to keep in mind as well, lets say bass for example has been in the water long enough to grow to 8lbs in NYS, it's defiantly has spawned and sent it's genes down to the next generation, many times most likely. If you were to decide to keep it and your not breaking the law, it's you right to keep it if you wish. Some of it's off spring have the ability to grow just as big. Really just depends on the genes that have been passed down. I guess my point is taking one big fish won't hurt a fishery.

That being said I would put it back. My goal is a 40" northern, it has been for a few years now. If/when I get one I've been planning on getting a mount done (my first). Two years ago I got a fish that was close and started looking around and researching the subject, I learned that a replica is much more durable in the long run and very competitively priced. Now that is my plan, have a replica made and release the fish.

So back to the topic YES, the catch and release mentality has gone to far IMHO. If you catch it you can do as you please, as long as you stay within the laws.
Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

esox slayer

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2006, 07:41 PM »
Personal choice rules.....

If I offer a friend a drink and he declines, I don't try and force him to have one.

Religion, ditto...I have my beliefs, don't push yours off on me....

Catch and release or keep...personal choice, you caught it, do what you will with it, don't push your beliefs off on me......Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.