FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Broken Ugly Stick (Pole Bashing?)  (Read 17505 times)

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
Re: Broken Ugly Stick
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14, 2008, 11:04 PM »
The creaking in a Graphite rod dont mean nothin.  We get it all the time in our Sage Fly rods fishing steelhead early spring during freezing temps, the graphite gets REAL cold and when bent it will creak, no big deal at all.  Sage is an EXTREMELY awesome fly rod and they creak.  THe loomis rods creak once in awhile also, but like said, creaking is better than snapping!! and the lifetime warranty closes the deal.
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Aug 15, 2008, 05:03 AM »
To stop the creaking, apply a small amount of dubbing wax to the end of the tip section  and work it into the ferrule of the butt section. My St Croix and Lamiglas blanks creak occasionally. This takes care of the problem.

If the handle  or reel seat  is creaking it's a completely different thing.

As stated above, If you've never handled a St Croix (I have 4 legend rods) you're missing something.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2008, 08:09 AM »
i've used both st. croix, and fenwick. i don't like having to worry all the time about what i do with my rods. i've dropped, steped on and closed the car door on my ugly stiks, and still use them, after more than 20 years. only broke one, and that was the top 1 1/2" in a house door, and i replaced the tip for $2.00, and 6 of mine still have the lifetime warranty. plus, there is a huge price difference.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

bassranger

« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2008, 10:58 AM »
probably going to get a few reactions out of this one but Ugly sticks are junk yeah they may be strong as far as breaking but its like fishing with a buggy whip. the things are way to flimsy. Good look feeling a lite bite on one, never mind trying to feel what type of bottom you are fishing. I use all St. Croix rods way more sensitive. I could run my jig over a dime in 30 feet of water and tell you the year it was made. Plus they come with a life time warranty. So as far as a broken ugly stick my advice would be to through it in the trash were it belongs and get your self a real rod. Just my Opinion
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2008, 12:28 PM »
Evidently you never heard that softer rods are better for certain types of fishing.  Most  crankbait fishermen wouldn't use a graphite rod, they all use fiberglass, which is what the Ugly Sticks are.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Good points all!

It really depends on what you're fishing for. I have glass rods as well. One of my oldest and best rods id a Fenwick Lunker Stick. I can haul a VW Micro-Bus off the bottom with it.

Not my choice for finicky perch or walleye though. Fly rods are another animal altogether.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bassranger

« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2008, 02:06 PM »
Evidently you never heard that softer rods are better for certain types of fishing.  Most  crankbait fishermen wouldn't use a graphite rod, they all use fiberglass, which is what the Ugly Sticks are.
I use a 6'6" St. Croix moderate action graphite crankbait rod.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Good points all!

It really depends on what you're fishing for. I have glass rods as well. One of my oldest and best rods id a Fenwick Lunker Stick. I can haul a VW Micro-Bus off the bottom with it.

Not my choice for finicky perch or walleye though. Fly rods are another animal altogether.

RG

sounds like my saltwater boat rod! ;D

NoGood

« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2008, 03:53 PM »
probably going to get a few reactions out of this one but Ugly sticks are junk yeah they may be strong as far as breaking but its like fishing with a buggy whip. the things are way to flimsy. Good look feeling a lite bite on one, never mind trying to feel what type of bottom you are fishing. I use all St. Croix rods way more sensitive. I could run my jig over a dime in 30 feet of water and tell you the year it was made. Plus they come with a life time warranty. So as far as a broken ugly stick my advice would be to through it in the trash were it belongs and get your self a real rod. Just my Opinion

I think that was what a few of us where getting at but in a soft, suttler way.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 15, 2008, 04:03 PM »
ugly stik has many more models than i think most people realize. there are close to 100 ugly stiks to choose from.

Steelie Slayer

« Reply #25 on: Aug 15, 2008, 04:11 PM »
Even tho we fish with loomis rods we still arent afraid to break the dang things, not like we wrap them in 20 inches of bubble wrap wen we're done usin em.  THats why they have a lifetime warranty no questions asked.  Cuz they're good rods and can take the same abbuse as others can.
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Aug 15, 2008, 04:18 PM »
let me step on it! J/K ;D

Steelie Slayer

« Reply #27 on: Aug 15, 2008, 05:02 PM »
See thats the thing pooley, its not like i try to bust a rod, but if i do im only pist cuz i have to rety what i was using onto another rod...  Not cuz i have to drop another $200 on a new loomis, $50 for S&H and 1 week i have a BRAND new loomis rod.  I've actually thought about busting all the loomis rods and sending em all back in and getting a whole new collection.  But that is dishonest, and mean i woudnt be able to fish for a week or two, and we all know how well that would go over......
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

NoGood

« Reply #28 on: Aug 15, 2008, 06:58 PM »
ugly stik has many more models than i think most people realize. there are close to 100 ugly stiks to choose from.

Pooley, do you own stock with Shakespere or be related to Mark Davis? I have never heard someone push a item as hard. I am glad you love them. I don't care if they made 1000 different styles, I wouldn't own one. Don't get me wrong they do have their place and have a huge following.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
Re: Broken Ugly Stick (Pole Bashing?)
« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2008, 07:54 PM »
the  shipping is free! :P no questions asked. and i'll step on your rod too nogood! :P never hurt mine! oh yeah, i've caught thousands of fish with them too! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.