FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Berkley NANOFIL fishing line  (Read 14422 times)

Gamma Fish

Re: Berkley NANOFIL fishing line
« Reply #30 on: Aug 15, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Gamma Fish is a super fan!!!! ;D
Sure Am !   I'm a Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers Fan ! :thumbup_smilie: :bowdown: :thumbup_smilie:
Plastics are Fantastic !

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2011, 09:15 AM »
And a super fishing line fanboy! Or do you work for berkley?

Gamma Fish

« Reply #32 on: Aug 17, 2011, 12:44 AM »
And a super fishing line fanboy! Or do you work for berkley?
Absolutely NOT !    If Love and use Stren "Microfuse" as much as Fireline !   Microfuse is actually very similar to Nano-Fil and it's been out for a few years.   Berkely just took it to another level !
  If Bekely didn't provide Fireline and Nano-Fil, and Stren with Micrfuse, I'd still be using Bagely Silver Thread, ANDE Pink (in cold weather), Golden Stren and Trilene Solar...with a bit of Triple Fish Flourocarbon tossed in  ;)
Plastics are Fantastic !

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #33 on: Aug 26, 2011, 11:19 AM »
I bought some Nanofil last night.  It spooled up real nice with no problems.  I'm going to try and get out this evening for a bass bite, weather permitting.  I plan on using this for finessing bass with soft plastics.  I was using Spiderwire Fluorobraid.  It was OK, but so far I like the Suffix 832 the best, followed by Power Pro, then Fireline.  I'll report on my findings tomorrow, and then later to see how it holds up over time.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #34 on: Aug 26, 2011, 09:27 PM »
OK, I had about an hour and a half to fish.  The water was gin clear.  I caught seven largemouth on the Nanofil, lost zero.  I was sight fishing and every fish that I saw except one, I caught.  I was using a 4" plastic worm, light weight, light wire worm hook, and 2 pound diameter 6 pound test Nanofil.  It casts like a dream, much further than any other braid or fused line that I've ever used even of the same diameter.  It's far more smooth than other braids, and shoots through the guides with ease.  It was so smooth that it almost felt weird, and it casts so far that I actually over shot my target a few times until I got used to it.  Like other superlines, it has no stretch, the line is stronger than the pound test rating I think, and you don't need a massive hook set, just a quick snap of the wrist and the hook is driven home.  Even though the line is white, I didn't see it in the water hardly at all, but granted it was low light conditions the last hour prior to dark.  The fish definitely didn't care.  The action of the plastic worm looked great as it should with this bait.  I had no problems at all with loops coming off the spool, "wind" knots, or anything like that and I think that I even overfilled the spool.  So far so good.  I know that this little bit of testing isn't much, but so far I'm very impressed.  Time will tell if further experiences are positive or not.  I'll report back.

Here's one of the fish that I got on the light Nanofil line/worm combo, all of the fish were this size (11-12") that I caught on it tonight:

I switched tactics right at dark because I started seeing lots of frogs along the shoreline and there was a little surface activity, so I went to a buzzbait.  I got this fish on my third cast (below).  If it had a belly at all it would have gone 5 pounds, but I'd say it was on the skinny side, probably three and a half to four pounds or so... It was 21" long, but man was it lean.  It kind of reminded me of one of those Lake Erie largemouth.

nightbird

« Reply #35 on: Aug 27, 2011, 01:37 PM »
Fat Boy: Very interesting, as I'm about to re-spool a couple. Any comparisons with Sufix 832 that you could make? Thanks!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #36 on: Aug 27, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Up until I tried this line, the 832 seemed like the best casting line.  Nanofil casts much better for the same pound test, it's thinner too.  It's not as stiff as 832, is much more limber than I expected, and seems to come off the spool and through the guides smoothly.  Casting was effortless with the Nanofil.  With the 832, I had to put some oomph into my casts just to get close to the distance.  So far, the Nanofil was pretty tough and handled the fish nicely.  It's still early in my analysis though. 

Questions to be answered:

How durable is this line after hours, days, or weeks of use?  I've only got an hour and a half using it so far.

What issues with the poundage/breaking strength might I have, or maybe no issues?

What about line twist, coils, memory, "wind knots", and other problems after the lines been used and on the spool a while?

How will it perform using other lures and techniques?

How will smallmouth in clear streams react to the visibility of the line?

So far, I like this stuff a lot.  But, only time will tell when it comes to answering these questions.

The 832 withstood all the tests and only one time did I have to switch to fluorocarbon to get bites.  I wonder if the Nanofil will be as successful.  I will report back after a few trips, but so far, I think it's worth the investment.

My last question is, what will happen if this becomes the line that everyone is trying to beat technology wise?  Can you imagine?  Maybe a superline that runs clear like fluorocarbon????

JAMMER

« Reply #37 on: Aug 27, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Fat Boy, These reports are great.I purchased it but have not used it. I want to find how it holds up. What if any are your thoughts on pline?

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #38 on: Aug 27, 2011, 05:50 PM »
I used to use PLine Fluorocarbon and also Fluoroclear (the copolymer) with good results.  I've been a Seaguar fluorocarbon user of late, but I'd use the PLine again if I had to.  It's good line.  On all of those I use a dose of Reel Magic each time I go out (I've heard that DW 40 works just as well).  I've never tried the PLine braid.

JAMMER

« Reply #39 on: Aug 27, 2011, 06:40 PM »
Thanks, I too use seaguar (great stuff). Ive been casting many hours this season and am haveing very good results with fluoroclear. Ill give the nano a try this week.

nightbird

« Reply #40 on: Aug 27, 2011, 08:12 PM »
Fat Boy: Thanks for your thoughts on 832 and Nanofil! Must give N a try.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #41 on: Aug 28, 2011, 07:30 AM »
You're welcome NB.

For the record, everyone, I'm not being endorsed by Berkley or paid by them in any way.  If I have problems with this line, you can bet that I'll post them here.

I used to rely on Berkley Trilene XT, and when they came out with Vanish, I was on board with that.  But, I had problems with that line breaking on hook sets, sometimes breaking for no reason, too much memory, line twists, etc.  I tried other lines with better results, including PLine and Seaguar fluorocarbon lines.  Although I liked XT when I did use it, I won't be going back to it.  Between fluorocarbon lines and superlines, I'm satisfied that technology has moved forward and that these lines are improved, at least for my type of fishing.  After my problems with Vanish, I doubt that I'd be going back to Berkley fluorocarbon lines, unless I hear good things about a future new product.  

So, bottom line, stay tuned on future reviews of Nanofil as I try it for various applications.  So far, my light line finesse worming techniques have a place for this line.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #42 on: Aug 29, 2011, 11:18 PM »
I put a few more hours in this evening and put the Nanofil to the test.  The results aren't quite as rosy this time.  Everything that I reported last time was pretty much the same, except that I broke four fish off on the hookset.  It wasn't the fish being big, but just a quick snap set was too much pressure on the line at the knot.  I tried various knots, and none worked any better than the other as far as break offs go.  This is not a new thing with superlines, especially those with very low diameters and lower pound test.  I've had it happen with all brands.  So, I think that I may relegate this spool of line towards ice fishing, and purchase the next size or two up so that I don't have to worry about my hook sets any longer, probably 8 pound test or maybe even 10.  Still, this line had it's moments.  None of my breakoffs occurred during fighting the fish, so the line strength is very good.  I still caught 17 largemouth bass on the Nanofil this evening.

Below are some pics of some of the bass caught on the Nanofil tonight:

JAMMER

« Reply #43 on: Aug 30, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Thanks again for the report and good job nailing them. I get alittle lip-rip happy and always go 8lb +.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #44 on: Aug 30, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Yeah, I got greedy with the thin diameter, visualizing casting to bassy worlds once beyond my reach.  I think that the larger diameter/heavier test will do the trick, and still cast further than the other lines that I've been using.  Until I change it out, I just have to remember to take it friggin easy on the hook sets!  Once I started doing that, the hooks were driven home just fine with very little pressure.  I'll admit that I got frustrated for awhile, and would have changed the spool out except that I left my other ones in the car (on purpose, to give it a fair test).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.